Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 AM
matt00721 matt00721 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: VW
335 DTC smoother drive, tire wear?

Hi everyone,
I have an '11 335i coupe with the sport pack and 19" rims. The ride has been pretty harsh, especially on uneven surfaces, which I felt was normal given the 19" rims and the sport suspension. The other day I experimented turning on DTC by briefly pressing the DTC button. I found that the ride was a lot more smooth in general and was a lot less harsh on uneven surfaces. Has anyone else experienced this?

My question now is, will driving with DTC affect my tire wear at all?

I would appreciate any help.

Matt
__________________
2011 BMW 335i Coupe
Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | Steptronic | Sports Package | Navigation | Convenience Package

Last edited by matt00721; 11-25-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
I think you mean DTC. DTC is Traction, DCT is the Dual clutch transmission. I never noticed it myself but I wouldn't think it wouldn't have anything to do with the suspension at all, thought it just allowed some wheel spin and stopped cutting the throttle when wheel spin does happen.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 AM
RaceBlood's Avatar
RaceBlood RaceBlood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,269
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
Get rid of the run flats, one of the worst tire feels over bumps out there....with 19', must feel your driving on 50 lb pressure tires...
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 335i|Space Gray|Coral Red Leather|6 MT|Sport/Premium/Cold Pkg|Logic 7|HK 300W|Xenon|Hankook V12's|M3 Rear Lip Spoiler|M-Tech Front Aero Spoiler| M-Sport Aluminum pedals| M-Sport Shifter| BMWCCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 AM
JBsC5 JBsC5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 2001 Corvette ZO6
I agree...dump the runflats and the ride will be transformed. I went with Hankook Evo 12's from discount tire direct.com and the price was simply so inexpensive you will save a bundle and its a great tire.

Good luck and congrats on your new car!
__________________
2008 Black C6 corvette, Z51 & NNP
2008 SILVER CTS AWD SPORTS SUSPENSION 304HP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM
energetik9 energetik9 is offline
energetik9
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,226
Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I find the suspension to be great. Harsh is certainly not a word I would use. How are the roads where you're driving? Perhaps the tires are the key?
__________________
Next - 997 or M3? (It's complicated)
Current - 2010 128i convertible (wife's car)
Previous - 2009 M-sport 335i coupe
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,031
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
I find the suspension to be great. Harsh is certainly not a word I would use. How are the roads where you're driving? Perhaps the tires are the key?
I found the suspension on my 07 to be the most poorly sorted out suspension of any car I have ever owned. Harsh is not a word I would use either but I don't know of a word for "Beyond Harsh". With the RFTs and the stock suspension the car was borderline undriveable on poor surfaces.

Getting rid of the RFTs and installing Koni FSD shocks made a huge difference and the car finally has become the car I thought I was buying.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
GiaGiaJa's Avatar
GiaGiaJa GiaGiaJa is offline
Don't Judge Me!
Location: 36.19N 115.22W
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,431
Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
My question is can I leave my car on DTC at all time if I have RFT?
__________________

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
matt00721 matt00721 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: VW
The roads where I drive aren't very bad, and when the surface is smooth the drive is fine. But when the pavement is uneven, sometimes it feels like the car might bounces into the next lane. And don't even ask about driving in Los Angeles with all the potholes, every time I've hit one, even smalls ones, I have to look behind me to make sure no parts fell off :-/

Also, I am driving with the stock Bridgestone RFTs, do you think DTC would increase the wear of the tire?
__________________
2011 BMW 335i Coupe
Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | Steptronic | Sports Package | Navigation | Convenience Package

Last edited by matt00721; 11-25-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,031
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00721 View Post
The roads where I drive aren't very bad, and when the surface is smooth the drive is fine. But when the pavement is uneven, sometimes it feels like the car might bounces into the next lane. And don't even ask about driving in Los Angeles with all the potholes, every time I've hit one, even smalls ones, I have to look behind me to make sure no parts fell off :-/

Also, I am driving with the stock Bridgestone RFTs, do you think DTC would increase the wear of the tire?
Ditch the RFTs and install Koni FSD shocks and the crashiness over bad surfaces will go away.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 AM
skier's Avatar
skier skier is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,066
Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Sport Package rides stiffer than regular suspension, but provides more feedback, and 19" wheels magnify the harshness on rough roads. DTC has no impact on suspension stiffness, you would need something like EDC, available on M3.

Sounds like regular suspension and 18" wheels would fit you better. It doesn't make sense to spend $$ on SP and 19" (harsher ride), then spend even more money to soften the ride.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
matt00721 matt00721 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: VW
Especially because it's a lease. Don't think there's a smart way to get out of it right now and switch out to a 535 or 335 without the sports pack so I guess I'll have to wait it out. Only 30 more months
__________________
2011 BMW 335i Coupe
Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | Steptronic | Sports Package | Navigation | Convenience Package
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,031
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Sport Package rides stiffer than regular suspension, but provides more feedback, and 19" wheels magnify the harshness on rough roads. DTC has no impact on suspension stiffness, you would need something like EDC, available on M3.

Sounds like regular suspension and 18" wheels would fit you better. It doesn't make sense to spend $$ on SP and 19" (harsher ride), then spend even more money to soften the ride.
I found that the sport suspension with the FSDs retains all of the good attributes of the sport suspension but eliminates the bad aspects. I don't feel like I gave up any performance but I got rid of the harshness. The car still feels firm (which I like) but it does not feel like it is going to break in half when it goes over a rough road. It is also much better at keeping the contact patches on the road. It by no means made the car feel like it had the standard suspension. What it did do was make the sport suspension what it should have been in the first place.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,633
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaGiaJa View Post
My question is can I leave my car on DTC at all time if I have RFT?
DTC has *NOTHING* to do with RFT.

For that matter, DTC has *NOTHING* to do with "regular" tires.

It only modifies the way the traction control, automatic differential braking and stability control works.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2010, 03:36 PM
GiaGiaJa's Avatar
GiaGiaJa GiaGiaJa is offline
Don't Judge Me!
Location: 36.19N 115.22W
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,431
Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
DTC has *NOTHING* to do with RFT.

For that matter, DTC has *NOTHING* to do with "regular" tires.

It only modifies the way the traction control, automatic differential braking and stability control works.
Ok...So I can leave it on DTC all the time to get a better control?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM
zweirad zweirad is offline
Registered User
Location: Boone, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2008 335i coupe
Am I wrong in thinking that DTC is on all the time [U]unless [U] you press the button?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 PM
///M-ratedE90's Avatar
///M-ratedE90 ///M-ratedE90 is online now
Ego writing cheques that
Location: the body cannot cash
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,186
Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Yes, you are wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp
__________________
=================================================
=================================================
=================================================
Also available in Alpine White...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaGiaJa View Post
Ok...So I can leave it on DTC all the time to get a better control?
You wont have better control per say, but you will have less wheel spin and I believe it reduces the chances of back end from coming out. The bad thing about DTC (for me at least) is that it cuts power when you are trying to floor it into or out of a turn, that can be dangerous when trying to cross a busy intersection and you want constant acceleration. I usually turn DTC off when turning left across traffic or I want to throw the back end out a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zweirad View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that DTC is on all the time [U]unless [U] you press the button?
You are correct, when you hit the DTC button it turns just DTC off, if you hold it down it will turn DSC off too, and it's really only a good idea to do that if you're in an empty parking lot or on a track.

Ignore the grumpy M-rated, he hasn't had his pills yet I'm guessing.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Dc5_champ88 Dc5_champ88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Marylabd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: E92 335i
I'm sorry I had to join and post up a correction to the above post. When u press the DTC button, it turns it ON and u get a DTC light on ur dash. On my iDrive it says, DTC Activated, DSC limited. This showing that it limits DSC and enables DTC.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-26-2010, 04:28 AM
SteveGu SteveGu is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 335d, vermillion/gray
I just read the manual and it is indeed confusing. The button in question apparently controls 2 functions independently. The normal state is: no dash indicators on or flashing=DSC on but not active, DTC off. When DSC is active, the triangle indicator will flash. If you press and hold the button, DSC will be disabled and the triangle indicator will remain lit rather than flash. If you press the button briefly, DTC will be enabled and the indicator trapezoid DTC indicator will remain lit. If the DTC is active, the same triangle indicator as above with DSC will flash.

So...if the triangle is steady, DSC is off, if the trapezoid DTC is steady, DTC is on. If the the triangle is flashing, either one may be active, although after reading the descriptions I am guessing that "DTC active" pretty much implies that DSC is not, and vice versa.

At least this is how I read it.

Last edited by SteveGu; 11-26-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5_champ88 View Post
I'm sorry I had to join and post up a correction to the above post. When u press the DTC button, it turns it ON and u get a DTC light on ur dash. On my iDrive it says, DTC Activated, DSC limited. This showing that it limits DSC and enables DTC.
That is incorrect, go read the manual. Hitting the DTC button will turn off DTC and keep DSC on, when you hold the DTC button down it will turn DTC and DSC off. If you are too lazy to go reading through a manual then go try it out in a parking lot, let me know if your car slides more after pressing DTC or holding DTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGu View Post
I just read the manual and it is indeed confusing. The button in question apparently controls 2 functions independently. The normal state is: no dash indicators on or flashing=DSC on but not active, DTC off. When DSC is active, the triangle indicator will flash. If you press and hold the button, DSC will be disabled and the triangle indicator will remain lit rather than flash. If you press the button briefly, DTC will be enabled and the indicator trapezoid DTC indicator will remain lit. If the DTC is active, the same triangle indicator as above with DSC will flash.

So...if the triangle is steady, DSC is off, if the trapezoid DTC is steady, DTC is on. If the the triangle is flashing, either one may be active, although after reading the descriptions I am guessing that "DTC active" pretty much implies that DSC is not, and vice versa.

At least this is how I read it.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
SteveGu SteveGu is offline
Registered User
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 335d, vermillion/gray
From the manual:


Dynamic Stability Control DSC

DSC prevents the driving wheels from losing
traction when you pull away from rest or accelerate.
The system also recognizes unstable
driving conditions, for example if the rear of the
car is about to swerve or if momentum is acting
at an angle past the front wheels. In these
cases, DSC helps the vehicle maintain a safe
course within physical limits by reducing engine
output and through braking actions at the individual
wheels.

Deactivating DSC

Press the button for at least 3 seconds; the indicator
lamps for DSC in the instrument cluster
light up. Dynamic Traction Control DTC and
DSC have been simultaneously deactivated.
Stabilizing and drive-output promoting actions
are no longer executed.


Activating DSC

Press the button again; the indicator lamps in
the instrument cluster go out.


If the indicator lamp flashes:
DSC is regulating the drive and braking
forces.

If the indicator lamps are on:
DSC is deactivated.

Dynamic Traction Control DTC

DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output
is optimized for particular road conditions,
e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads. The system
assures the maximal drive output, but with
reduced driving stability. It is therefore necessary
to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC
under the following special circumstances:
> When driving uphill on snow-covered roads,
in slush or on unplowed, snow-covered
roads
> When rocking a stuck vehicle free or starting
off in deep snow or on loose ground
> When driving with snow chains

Activating DTC

Press the button; the indicator lamps for DTC in
the instrument cluster come on.


If the indicator lamp flashes:
DTC is regulating the drive and braking
forces.

If the indicator lamps are on:
DTC has been activated.

Deactivating DTC

Press the button again; the DTC indicator
lamps in the instrument cluster go out.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,282
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Deleted
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 11-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM
andyffer andyffer is offline
WTB - your E39 M5
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,216
Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
are you accelerating pretty good when going over them? if youre breaking traction and the car is trying to stop it you'll bounce around but if you turn off dtc, it allows the wheels to spin to an extent..
__________________
Unencumbered by the thought process

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGu View Post
From the manual:


Dynamic Stability Control DSC

DSC prevents the driving wheels from losing
traction when you pull away from rest or accelerate.
The system also recognizes unstable
driving conditions, for example if the rear of the
car is about to swerve or if momentum is acting
at an angle past the front wheels. In these
cases, DSC helps the vehicle maintain a safe
course within physical limits by reducing engine
output and through braking actions at the individual
wheels.

Deactivating DSC

Press the button for at least 3 seconds; the indicator
lamps for DSC in the instrument cluster
light up. Dynamic Traction Control DTC and
DSC have been simultaneously deactivated.
Stabilizing and drive-output promoting actions
are no longer executed.


Activating DSC

Press the button again; the indicator lamps in
the instrument cluster go out.


If the indicator lamp flashes:
DSC is regulating the drive and braking
forces.

If the indicator lamps are on:
DSC is deactivated.

Dynamic Traction Control DTC

DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output
is optimized for particular road conditions,
e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads. The system
assures the maximal drive output, but with
reduced driving stability. It is therefore necessary
to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC
under the following special circumstances:
> When driving uphill on snow-covered roads,
in slush or on unplowed, snow-covered
roads
> When rocking a stuck vehicle free or starting
off in deep snow or on loose ground
> When driving with snow chains

Activating DTC

Press the button; the indicator lamps for DTC in
the instrument cluster come on.


If the indicator lamp flashes:
DTC is regulating the drive and braking
forces.

If the indicator lamps are on:
DTC has been activated.

Deactivating DTC

Press the button again; the DTC indicator
lamps in the instrument cluster go out.
Wow, I failed hardcore there. Sorry for the misinformation.

Had no idea this is how it worked, all this time I thought I was turning off DTC when I was actually activating it. Thanks for posting up the proof.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335, dct, tire wear


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms