Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Nice.

"same here -went out yesterday, the bad thing is you also lose PS, so it was kind of difficult to get Q5 off the road, wife could not turn the steering wheel at all.
She was lucky it happen just as she pulled out of the drive way, I imagine losing PS at highway's speed... really, Audi should have recalled all of them 3.2 motors w/ plastic pumps."

"My second pump just went this morning. Almost 15k miles on the clock. Waited close to 3hrs for a Roadside Assistance tow to the dealer."

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2793568

----

These sound familiar. Problems with herking and jerking transmissions. Do these guys all go to the same engineering school?

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2010/audi/q5/
The new pump now has metal properller(started in March production Q5), so it should be fine once the plastic ones all been fixed on pre-March production.......
Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
New models in their first yr or two of production should be avoided...

Last edited by cubed; 11-30-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
On the nhtsa site the manufacturer is listed as Volkswagon of America. That's interesting. Isn't Audi an independent company?

Transmission complaints or does this sound familiar.

TRANSMISSION HESITATION AND " JERKING". *TR

CAR SOMETIMES HAS A HARD DOWNSHIFT FROM 2ND TO 1ST AND A HARD UP SHIFT FROM 1ST TO 2ND. IT MAKES A CLUNK NOISE AND CAUSES TO CAR TO JERK AND OR LUNGE. I SEE MANY COMPLAINTS ON THE INTERNET FOR THIS ISSUE AND I THINK I WAS SOLD THIS AUTO WITHOUT DISCLOSURE OF AN KNOWN ISSUE. *TR

I HAVE A HESITATION/LACK-OF-ACCELERATION WHEN MOVING FROM A STOP OR FROM LOW SPEEDS. ESSENTIALLY, I'M EITHER MOVING VERY SLOWLY OR I HAVE TO FLOOR THE GAS PEDAL TO FORCE THE TRANSMISSION TO CHANGE GEARS, AND THEN THE CAR 'TAKES OFF'. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND (I.E. I CAN'T SIMPLY ACCELERATE 'NORMALLY'). IT IS DANGEROUS WHEN MERGING ON TO A HIGHWAY OR OUT OF A DRIVEWAY OR SHOPPING CENTER AND ONTO A BUSY ROAD. *TR

MY BRAND NEW 2010 AUDI Q5 EXHIBITED TWO DANGEROUS TRANSMISSION RELATED PROBLEMS WITHIN THE FIRST COUPLE WEEKS OF OWNERSHIP IN JANUARY 2010. BOTH ISSUES WERE INTERMITTENT AND UNPREDICTABLE. FIRST, UPON SLOWING TO A STOP, JUST PRIOR TO COMPLETE STOP THE CAR WOULD SUDDENLY SURGE FORWARD ON ITS OWN WITH ALMOST ENOUGH FORCE TO OVERPOWER BREAKING IF YOU DIDN'T REACT QUICKLY BY APPLYING MORE BREAK PRESSURE. SECONDLY, THE CAR WOULD EXPERIENCE A LAG IN ENGAGING GEARS WHEN ATTEMPTING TO ACCELERATE FROM A STOP OR NEAR STOP. MY WIFE ALMOST GOT IN AN ACCIDENT WITH ONCOMING TRAFFIC WHILE INITIATING A LEFT TURN AT A BUSY TRAFFIC INTERSECTION BECAUSE SHE APPLIED THE GAS PEDAL AND THE CAR MERELY IDLED FORWARD INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC. AFTER A LONG LAG THE GEARS ENGAGED AND THE CAR ACCELRATED JUST IN TIME TO CLEAR THE INTERSECTION BEFORE GETTING HIT. MY WIFE AND I EACH SEPARATELY AND TOGETHER EXPERIENCED BOTH ISSUES MULTIPLE OCCASIONS. WE BROUGHT THE Q5 BACK TO SANTA MONICA AUDI. THEY TOOK A LOOK AND FOUND THAT A TRANSMISSION VALVE AND FILTER WERE "OBVIOUSLY INSTALLED INCORRECTLY AT THE FACTORY". BOTH PARTS NEEDED REPLACEMENT. THEY DID THE WORK BETWEEN JAN. 11 - JAN. 25 2010. I ONLY HAD THE CAR BACK FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE NOTICING THE SAME ISSUES AGAIN. I BROUGHT IT BACK TO THEM ON JAN. 26TH. THE CAR IS AT THIS TIME STILL AT THE DEALERSHIP AND AN AUDI ENGINEER FROM AUDI OF AMERICA IS ON HIS WAY TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT THIS WEEK. I HAVE BEEN IN COMMUNICATION WITH AT LEAST 5 OTHER Q5 OWNERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR TRANSMISSION ISSUES TO VARYING DEGREES. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT THIS BEFORE IT CAUSES A MAJOR ACCIDENT. *CN

=========================

Really, they must be the same group of engineers.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 AM

My audi allroads did the same thing. Used to call it throttle tip-in lag. Ruined an otherwise great car for me. Realized then I needed to get a manual. The automatics I've driven on the 3 series loaners do the same thing. Don't know if its a german car/programming thing, design flaw, whatever. But getting a 6sp manual sure fixes the problem.

Hey PP are you sure you didn't write that complaint about the Q5? Sounds like your writing!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM

3 Series and 5 Series sedans shift smoothly.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

wasnt a question of smoothness -- it was initial lag or lack of response to small throttle input, followed by over zealous reaction when the driver pushes harder on the gas. I have experienced this in several 3 series loaners with both low and high miles. its a real shame, because predictable and buttery throttle modulation./response is absolutley one of the wonderful things about the I6 in the X3 (and all bimmers with this engine I would wager) Really easy to appreciate in a manny tranny.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM

I put lag into the category of lacking smoothness.

In addition to not lagging for the most part (they do sometimes when accelerating on hills) the 3 and 5 sedans have barely perceptible (sometimes imperceptible) shifts.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 12-01-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
3 Series and 5 Series sedans shift smoothly.
Not so correct there. I have noticed when driving a 3'er that had the dreaded GM6 that more often than not it behaved like my AT X3. This after being loaned a 3 er at least ten times while I was having "updates" done to my AT tranny. The five with the ZF was a dream at shifting which lead me to more vigorously pursue my problems with the AT 07 as it proved "Not All" BMW drive that way.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 AM

I will modify my post. The 3 and 5 sedans that I have driven (5 total) have all shifted smoothly.

I do not see who makes the Q5 transmission but google Audi Q5 auto transmission problems and it all sounds sooooooo familiar.

This guy had a bad day but was lucky it was not worse:

"I was doing 65 miles an hour on the interstate, straight on good road, and my 2011 Audi Q5 with 3000 miles on it experienced total transmission failure. The engine just revved with no power to the wheels. I was lucky to have pulled over.

I got a flatbed tow to the nearby Audi of Brookline in Boston. They said it will take a week, that the transmission computer is shot.

I had to leave to go to work. They offered me a loaner.

I'm so furious at Audi I could just spit. I called the dealership that I bought it from, and he told me to call Customer Relations. I was nice. I'm not going to be so nice anymore. I'm going to have HIM call customer relations and I'm seriously considering a ****back. I've had the car less than two months.

Any advice out there? "
http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e9c37/108
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
On the nhtsa site the manufacturer is listed as Volkswagon of America. That's interesting. Isn't Audi an independent company?
Not even close to an independent company. Audi is to VW what Lexus is to Toyota.

VW owns other premium auto brands such as Bently, Lamborgini and Porsche but none are as close to VWs than Audi (except for the Toureg/Cayenne of course).
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You could argue that the T-egg and Cayenne are not as similar as the rest of the Audi/VW stable overall. It seems as if there is more "Porsche" than VW there. I suspect we will see the new Porsche "cute ute" (whatever they name it) will be based on the Tiguan to counter the X1. The Q5 is pretty close to the Tig now. The Q7 is built on the T-egg/Cayenne platform, but extended to get a third row. Just think of GM only with real differences between the nameplates (or "marques").