Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535 & 06 325
Title/Track detail for CDs

I uploaded a few CDs to my recently delivered 535i. Unfortunately it did not pick up the CD names or song track names. I now see that I can go to options and manually rename the CD, but is there any way for me to add track information?

Last edited by Ron T; 12-03-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Saab
same problem

its very disapointing that new cds do not have track names. what gives?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeriley View Post
its very disapointing that new cds do not have track names. what gives?
I bet they do have track names and other info embedded. The car is probably not reading that info. Is anyone aware of any changes in protocol for embedded track info in newer CDs?
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Most CD's have nothing but audio stored on them. A small few have something called CD Text, but these are few and far between. The pro nav names the CD's using a third party database called GraceNote (http://www.gracenote.com/products/gl...edia_database/).

I'm not 100% sure(asked in another thread) but I think the database is held locally on the HDD in the car. If this is the case, new CD's will not pick up their names unless the database is updated. Presumably the database either updates itself via GPRS or an update comes from BMW bundled in with their software updates. If anyone knows how this works please let us know!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535 & 06 325
Without track info, it makes this feature very lame. While we could manually rename the CD, having the display just say "track 1, track 2, etc." makes one less inclined to play stored CDs. I do like the iPod feature, however. I plug in my iPhone 4 and get to see all the stored music, as well as cover art for selected albums.