Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Replacement

Anyone here that have had a problematic car replaced by BMW? What are the options? My car has been problem free for less than a week in total and has spent more than 30 days in the shop for warranty issues.
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
I've read your posts about all the problems with your car and I think you have a strong case to lemon law your car and get your money back. You might not want to replace it because you are not too fond of its lack of soul anyway. There is one board member on one of these boards that got a replacement car without too much hassle - I'm sorry I don't remember who he is but hopefully he will see your post.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I've read your posts about all the problems with your car and I think you have a strong case to lemon law your car and get your money back. You might not want to replace it because you are not too fond of its lack of soul anyway. There is one board member on one of these boards that got a replacement car without too much hassle - I'm sorry I don't remember who he is but hopefully he will see your post.
Thanks, I like my dealer and would prefer to handle it without the law if possible.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550Xi 8 Speed
I had to do this with my 650 about 3 years ago. I have done a very significant business with my dealer so that did not give me much flack about the replacement. I ended up spending more on the new car so it was a bit easier for them to swallow. I did have to commit to buying a new car rather than a complete refund but all else was pretty easy.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
have your service director initiate a buyback request to BMWNA. they will review your service history and BMWNA will get back to you and your dealer in 7-10 business days. My 550i M Sport is a result of a BMW buyback on my 535i which had multiple HPFP failures.

Last edited by SANguru; 12-03-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Man I hope you don't get a replacement if your not happy with the F10. I've heard you say multiple times you would drop the car when financially feasible. Guess what? Your car is a lemon! It's feasible now! I say go test drive the panamera and if puts a smile on your face give the F10 the boot and drop the 80k on the Porsche. And this is coming from someone who loves my 550i, I see the same weaknesses you loathe. I think springs and some weight reduction will help the handling and I'll live with the steering but you gotta be happy when you spend 70k on something. I can't afford the 100k+ for the panamera S and hate the rear anyways but as far as fun to drive I think it's exactly what your looking for.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
My wife's 2008 535i ultimately had six fuel system related failures. While working with the Service Mgr. and my SA, I called BMWNA and explained the situation. The rep immediately referred me to an Escalation rep who acted as a customer advocate. That rep worked with the dealership management in resolving my claim. When asked if I wanted another BMW or some type of cash settlement, I opted for another five series. I was willing to wait for a factory order. In an effort to further satisfy me, local management found a car with all of my required equipment, plus another $3,000 in additional options. The dealer and BMW graciously offered to absorb the cost of the additional options. My lease was transferred to the new car and my monthly payment remained the same. I did have to put cash down as I was over two years into a three year lease. There was never any contention. Both the dealer and BMWNA were completely customer oriened and my satisfaction was their primary goal. To that end, they succeded. I look forward to my sixth BMW.

BTW, these lemon titled cars are beginning to show up at independent dealers. Most are purchased at auction. Assuming that the HPFP swap worked, these cars can be phenomenal buys. The lemon title may not be much of an issue if you keep the car for an extended period.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 AM

Thanks to all for the very good information. I'll have a friendly discussion with my service rep. when I'm back from vacation with this info in mind. If it comes to a BMW replacement offer I'll likely go for an M3. It will require a whole new set of child seats and strollers to optimize space but that's kind of pocket change in the overall picture. We'll see, perhaps the car is already fixed, after all me not liking how the F10 drives is a separate issue from the reliability problems and it was my poor choice to get it not BMWs. That said if it somehow comes to cash jimefam, I'll definitely pay Porsche a visit.

Last edited by solstice; 12-04-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi M sport
yes

Leased 2006 x5 4.4 for about 10 mo, constant problems,multiple visits to the dealership and then replaced to 2007 x5 4.8.
NO ISSUES they ordered exactly the same car but by the time it was a new body style.
alex
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This thread makes me worry about coming back to BMW.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Such is life with cars on the "cutting edge" of technology, happens to all the brands. A neighbor bought the S class when it first came out and only had it 3 months. The engine would stall out for no reason and they never could figure it out he said they gave him back his down payment and payments made. Stick with Lexus as they seem to have fewer issues as is typical of Japanese cars I guess.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Thanks to all for the very good information. I'll have a friendly discussion with my service rep. when I'm back from vacation with this info in mind. If it comes to a BMW replacement offer I'll likely go for an M3. It will require a whole new set of child seats and strollers to optimize space but that's kind of pocket change in the overall picture. We'll see, perhaps the car is already fixed, after all me not liking how the F10 drives is a separate issue from the reliability problems and it was my poor choice to get it not BMWs. That said if it somehow comes to cash jimefam, I'll definitely pay Porsche a visit.
Solstice, when do you get your car back this week? I'm supposed to pick my new car up Wed and would love to know if they were able to fix yours before I get mine.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
My 2008 535i Sport was repurchased by BMW two weeks ago after five fuel delivery system failures and several other annoying issues over the course of the last two years. While I was waiting for the transaction to be finalized, I experienced three more failures. Instead of replacing the car with another 535i, I opted for a cash payment. Fortunately for me, I found a beautiful, practically new 2008 CPO 528i Sport the day before I turned my car in. Although I will miss the power and torque on my 535i, I will not miss the countless trips to the dealer and the constant concern over when my car would fail again. In fact, I am adjusting quite nicely to my 528i. I dealt directly with BMWNA and they could not have been more accommodating and professional in handling my case.

Good luck.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 12-04-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Solstice, when do you get your car back this week? I'm supposed to pick my new car up Wed and would love to know if they were able to fix yours before I get mine.
I'll be back home Sunday night and I'll call my dealer first thing Monday. It will be tight to know for sure if it's fixed by Wednesday.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN75 View Post
This thread makes me worry about coming back to BMW.
I am worried too. . . except I'm not coming back since this will be my first BMW ever. Of the total F10 ownership we might be less than 1% on this board. If this 1% reports so many problems we are either too anal about our cars or the rest of the owners are completely oblivious to what their cars are doing. On the other hand, as a general rule when everything is fine we do nothing and when we have a problem we look for a place to vent - this place for example.
If my 550 has to make multiple dealer visits for repairs like Solstice has reported, it will be extra hard for me to accept after my ownership of two rock solid and super reliable Acuras.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
My 2008 535i Sport was repurchased by BMW two weeks ago after five fuel delivery system failures and several other annoying issues over the course of the last two years. While I was waiting for the transaction to finalize, I experienced three more failures. Instead of replacing the car with another 535i, I opted for a cash payment. Fortunately for me, I found a beautiful, practically new 2008 CPO 528i Sport the day before I turned my car in. Although I miss the power and torque on my 535i, I do not miss the countless trips to the dealer and the constant concern over when my car would fail again. In fact, I am adjusting quite nicely to my 528i. I dealt directly with BMWNA and they could not have been more accommodating and professional in handling my case.

Good luck.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

To the OP, BMW is very accommodating and are willing to work with you if you're experiancing excessive problems with their products!

My new F10 was a result of a Buy Back for my beloved 535 too.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti