Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
Miles on new car

I've always bought cars in stock. When ordering one how many miles on the odometer should one expect?
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
If the vehicle is not being used as a demo, I would expect the mileage to be the same as a custom order, i.e., less than 10.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 12-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
My F10 custom order had 26 miles when delivered. It was over the 12 miles on the agreement signed, but did not make a bug fuss about it.

I hope that is not related to the DHP problems I am having though
Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 PM
LowerSlowerDE

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750Li
The agreement really says <12 miles??? Did they explain the difference? Just wondering how you get 26 miles on a special order car?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
Dealers use their cars on the lot for short demos, especially if the cars have some specific features that the customer wants. If you're looking for a car with a specific set of features (color, sport suspension), the salesman will try to find you the closest car on the lot, let you test drive it, and then try to sell it to you. Since not everyone will buy the car they test drove, on the lot cars tend to have higher mileage, though not much over 50-75.

I like custom ordering my car because I don't like the prospect of buying a car off the lot which someone might have driven and pushed beyond break-in recommendations.
E39 M5 (sold)
1996 Porsche C4 (sold)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 PM

I asked knowing that asking will not get me anywhere. They claimed they had to drive it around to get the navigation initialized. You and I both know that it is total BS. But I know the dealer (purchased a few from him before this one), and I pretty much trust his intentions. And I am pretty sure that at any point in time, they would have better "joyrides" that they can take, other than the measly 500i I have...

And yes, pretty much the only piece of paper I signed said less than 12 miles. So in theory, I could have rejected the delivery.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
i had 8 miles when i took delivery of my car
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
8 miles on mine too. But I added a few before signing anything.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Typically 3 to 8 miles on my ordered vehicles.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
14 on my car, but the service department was a mile or two from the dealership and they had to bring it back twice to take care of a few add-ons. I would expect less than 20...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
My F10 (535xi) had about 2 miles on it when I accepted delivery. It was put on a ship at Bremerhaven, Germany and delivered to Bayonne, NJ. It was then put on a truck and taken to the VPC in Elizabeth, NJ. Then it was taken by truck to the dealer in Springfield, NJ, where I accepted delivery. Since I have accepted delivery, I have very much enjoyed driving my new F10 and have had no problems.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 12-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
My F10 (535xi) had about 2 miles on it when I accepted delivery. It was put on a ship at Bremerhaven, Germany and delivered to Bayonne, NJ. It was then put on a truck and taken to the VPC in Elizabeth, NJ. Then it was taken by truck to the dealer in Springfield, NJ, where I accepted delivery. Since I have accepted delivery, I have very much enjoyed driving my new F10 and have had no problems.
+1. Only 2 miles when delivered in Munich, maybe another mile or 2 when redelivered at the dealer (on top of my ED miles, obviously).

No major issues. A faulty passenger seat sensor only; I'll take the car to the dealer this week. 2,275 miles so far.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335I
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamigs View Post
My F10 custom order had 26 miles when delivered. It was over the 12 miles on the agreement signed, but did not make a bug fuss about it.

I hope that is not related to the DHP problems I am having though
14 Miles extra does it equal to 1 year of driving? That is a lot for a New car.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I checked the other ordered ones on the lot, and they had 20+ (although I checked 2 of them only, as I got bored in the process).

Honestly, I do not think the 14 extra is enough to break the deal. I am pretty sure they had a good reason to put it on. Whoever "they" may be, although I am pretty sure the dealer put most of them on. I know that they take it to detailing, which they do not have in house, before delivery. The concept of detailing a brand new car is also just wrong, but that seems to be common across the space.

As I said earlier, I am pretty sure this was not an artifact of a joy ride or anything like that. And I got the delivery the next day it was delivered to the dealer too, so...

You think I should have raised hell for 14 extra miles, which I put in one day, if not more? And wait another 3 months to get a new one? Somehow that did not pass my snicker test... Open to comments though.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamigs View Post
Yeah, I checked the other ordered ones on the lot, and they had 20+ (although I checked 2 of them only, as I got bored in the process).

Honestly, I do not think the 14 extra is enough to break the deal. I am pretty sure they had a good reason to put it on. Whoever "they" may be, although I am pretty sure the dealer put most of them on. I know that they take it to detailing, which they do not have in house, before delivery. The concept of detailing a brand new car is also just wrong, but that seems to be common across the space.

As I said earlier, I am pretty sure this was not an artifact of a joy ride or anything like that. And I got the delivery the next day it was delivered to the dealer too, so...

You think I should have raised hell for 14 extra miles, which I put in one day, if not more? And wait another 3 months to get a new one? Somehow that did not pass my snicker test... Open to comments though.
I do not think that 14 miles on the odo is a deal breaker. I doubt very much that the car was pushed during those 10 extra miles (or less, to account for the trip to the detailer). Someone apt to push the car would have driven it farther, IMO.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
I do not think that 14 miles on the odo is a deal breaker. I doubt very much that the car was pushed during those 10 extra miles (or less, to account for the trip to the detailer). Someone apt to push the car would have driven it farther, IMO.
I agree, not much can happen in 10 miles most likely. Funny story though, years ago when I had a certain new car, a good friend at the time wanted to just try it to see how it felt. It was still in the break-in period and I told him this. He proceeded to floor it for a second to "get a feel for the power". I'm sure it didn't hurt it, but I was pissed. I ended up selling him that car a few years later, only the 2nd time I had sold a car to someone I knew.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 550i SP, 335i c, MB AMG
9 miles on my family members car. Make sure you drive it before you buy to rule out the pulling right or the steering issues. It is possible at low miles that it wasnt detected.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Sept Build
I had 1 mile on the car for delivery in Munich + 8.6 mile from the time I dropped it off in Bremerhaven to when I received it for redelivery for a total of 9.6 miles. I'm sure the on and offboarding from the ship and truck added a most of it plus anything the vpc/vdc may have done accounted for the rest.

-Zathris
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I agree, not much can happen in 10 miles most likely. Funny story though, years ago when I had a certain new car, a good friend at the time wanted to just try it to see how it felt. It was still in the break-in period and I told him this. He proceeded to floor it for a second to "get a feel for the power". I'm sure it didn't hurt it, but I was pissed. I ended up selling him that car a few years later, only the 2nd time I had sold a car to someone I knew.
I would have been pissed too! Just make sure that you are way beyond the break-in period before you lend your car again. Even after break-in, I would not appreciate anybody flooring my car unless he/she had my "express written consent" to do so.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
When I picked up my new 550i M Sport, it was the first delivered in my city and I was told by my CA that lots of people had requested to see it before it was delivered. I was thinking "Oh great, lots of people will want to sit in it and some will ask to drive it". When I finally got the call to pick it up (6 days after it left the port which is only 45 miles from my dealer) I was concerned it would have some extra miles on it. I got in and looked down and saw 340 miles on the odo! I was really surprised but relieved when I realized I was looking at 'miles till empty' on the display. It really only had 4.3 miles on the car.

BMW's retired
1970 2002 - first car
1980 320i
1970 2800CS
1982 528e
1995 M3
2000 M5
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

I ordered a car, and it showed up with 170 miles on it. The dealer had no explanation for the mileage. I refused delivery, and they reordered a new car, which I should take delivery of this coming week. They are crediting me $1500 for the troubles.
26 miles seems like the car probably went out for a few rides. Although I probably would not make it a deal breaker, I would mention the discrepancy between the car you are receiving and the contract you signed. Maybe they will credit you a few $$ for the difference...
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Yeah, 170 would have been a clear deal breaker for me as well. As I said, I could have fussed about the 26 miles too, but when I checked all the other cars that were special orders, they were all 20+. It to me meant that I could burn another 3 months, and get another one, this time with 20 miles on it, as they would have put 20 on the transaction this time around... And not too many dealers around here to leave one and go to the other either...
It is a huge risk to take on the dealer's part to take it out for rides though; think about it, if something happened to it, what would they have told me? I think they are smarter than that... So I am pretty sure it was not the dealer, and it may have been racked up in VDC or thereafter, for whatever reason.

That is why I did not make it a deal breaker. At some point, you have to trust the people that you are doing business with, to a certain extent at the very least. But again, I agree with you, the trust would have expired at not too much after that, let alone 170... Having said that, now that I am thinking about it, had they not mentioned any mileage on the agreement, or had the agreement said 3 miles or something, I would have potentially made 26 a deal breaker as well. Just 26 vs 12 seemed OK at the time is all.