Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 323i
Steering retracting back to original postiion when switched off

Does anyone know if it is possible to not retract the steering back to its default position when you switch off the car. Is there some option to just leave it as it is on the new F10. I dont like that as it will be prone to the motor going bad in time to come
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Hmm good question... I'm curious too. Imagine 5 years from now when things usually start breaking in bmws and the damn wheel is stuck. That won't be good.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I don't think this is something to worry about. 5 series have had this feature for many years - you can check to see, for example, how many people with older E39s have a problem with it. If it bothers you, why not set the wheel to the retracted position for your driving?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
It would seem to be something that could be chosen or not, but there is no method I have found for not having the wheel retract.

While not exactly related, I have found though that manually setting a position other than that in a memory setting is then used as the final "down" position until you press the memory button again. Sometimes I need to jockey my car and my wife's in our single-car driveway. I move the steering wheel up most of the way so I don't have the fight it getting in and out several times. If I know I'll be moving it the next morning, I just leave the wheel almost all the way up (manually). The wheel still retracts and moves down, but to my temporary position.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Jeeze I need a cup of coffee. For a second there I thought you meant that the car straightened the front wheels when you shut off the car. Way too tired-Be back in 5....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
do you have the driver seat saved and in the menu do you have return seat to last position selected??
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 323i
Raleedy, i dont think you understand the fact that it would be nice to have a switch to not retract for those of us who are concerned about something going wrong. Keeping the steering all the way at the retracted position is not what I was asking. I asked the question b/c i'm still new to the F10 and trying to find out features that I'm unaware of.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamee01 View Post
Raleedy, i dont think you understand the fact that it would be nice to have a switch to not retract for those of us who are concerned about something going wrong.
My advice? Don't worry about it and enjoy the car.
There are many motorized functions, pumps, belt, gears, hydraulics etc which operate constantly every time your drive the car. They are designed to last and withstand normal use. A simple function like the retracting steering wheel which operates once when you get in or out of the car is quite minimal in terms of wear as compared with many other functions of your car.