Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
X3 review in Edmunds

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/bmw/x3/100158414/preview.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews..4.*

They really gush over it, ending w/ this:
"It's nice to see the boys from Bavaria back on their game".

THe x3 is certainly not good looking (inside or out)- -but I think everyone's so relieved that its styling (inside and out) is not completley horrific (although it is bland and cheap looking) after the recent BMW models that it gets praised. Its like a kid who gets Ds all the time, and the first time he gets a C- you're ecstatic.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2003, 09:59 PM
iPod and XM enabled

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
...THe x3 is certainly not good looking (inside or out)- -but I think everyone's so relieved that its styling (inside and out) is not completley horrific (although it is bland and cheap looking) after the recent BMW models that it gets praised. Its like a kid who gets Ds all the time, and the first time he gets a C- you're ecstatic.
I bet they sell LOTS of them.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:45 AM
meh

Mein Auto: Z4
If looking vaguely like a saturn will get BMW "universal acclaim", I would rather be an outcast.

It's not to say it's a bad looking vehicle, but too many cars look alike. I applaud BMW for taking chances with many of it's new vehicles.

--nw
Old 10-29-2003, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Thanks for the link. The writer must write for another source as well because the same article appears in one of the threads from below.

Anyhow, find it interesting that he claims the X3 will handle better than the 3 series sedan?????? I'll believe it when I see it, and if it's true, then maybe my 330xi needs to be traded in for the X3. Already plan on trading my wife's exploder for the X3...
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Old 10-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
Anyhow, find it interesting that he claims the X3 will handle better than the 3 series sedan?????? I'll believe it when I see it, and if it's true, then maybe my 330xi needs to be traded in for the X3. Already plan on trading my wife's exploder for the X3...

That reviewer is smoking crack. There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle that it's based on. It's just physically impossible.

People who write for Edmunds isn't exactly the most enthusiastic drivers...What they deem a "better" suspension or "better" handling car may simply mean that it rode smoother or absorbs bumps better. It's just meant for the average American, most of whom would PREFER the more "toned-down" suspension and softer handling and mistaken that for "better".
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

Last edited by The HACK; 10-30-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
That reviewer is smoking crack. There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle. It's just physically impossible.
My X5 will outhandle my Passat.

I will put money on it.

The Passat has skinny all-season tires (195's) with very soft suspension. It is also something like 60%+ nose heavy. In a corner, it starts to roll over and plow. Quite humerous!

The X5 is on 235's and is 50/50 balanced. It goes into a corner flat and then the tires start to slide. It will take an off-ramp much faster than the the Passat.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
That reviewer is smoking crack. There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle. It's just physically impossible.

People who write for Edmunds isn't exactly the most enthusiastic drivers...What they deem a "better" suspension or "better" handling car may simply mean that it rode smoother or absorbs bumps better. It's just meant for the average American, most of whom would PREFER the more "gh3y" suspension and softer handling and mistaken that for "better".

Frankly, I am tired of your constant critiques as to what is the "perfect" car or driver. What is "perfect" is purely subjective. I doubt that a senior citizen would consider a stiff bone crushing suspension (which you seem to be so fond of) to be the better suspension. And I doubt he or she would consider himself average American. So, please stop putting down on everyone who prefers something different than your own. If I remember, didn't you get beaten once by a lady in an unmodified 325? Maybe you were smoking crack at that moment.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Senior Citizens buy Buicks, not BMWs... so who care what they want in a car??

I also think that what Hack said about Edmunds reviewers is probably correct. What one says is 'better' may simply mean 'I don't feel the road beneath me in my Poop DeVille Cataract' as opposed to 'I can take turns at blistering speeds and feel the car hugging the road in my BMW'.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter46i
Frankly, I am tired of your constant critiques as to what is the "perfect" car or driver. What is "perfect" is purely subjective. I doubt that a senior citizen would consider a stiff bone crushing suspension (which you seem to be so fond of) to be the better suspension. And I doubt he or she would consider himself average American. So, please stop putting down on everyone who prefers something different than your own. If I remember, didn't you get beaten once by a lady in an unmodified 325? Maybe you were smoking crack at that moment.
Damn, lighten up, Francis. I think the dude just likes his car. In many respects, I tend to agree with him, but I haven't compared the X3 to my 330i. Nevertheless, I am skeptical of the Edmunds claim going in. If the X3 were to handle better, which I doubt, I wouldn't trade in my 330i for one. Hack didn't attack you. He was just stating an opinion. It's all good.

Oh, now that I re-read the thread, I think I see what may be going on here. I get the feeling you didn't like his "gay" comment. Well if that is the case, take it to a mod and lets not let that lifestyle stuff detract from the topic under discussion.

Last edited by Patrick330i; 10-30-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter46i
Put me on the ignore list if you're really THAT tired of my posting. I didn't attack you, what you posted was uncalled for.

I merely state my opinion here. If it offends you, too f**kin' bad.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
My X5 will outhandle my Passat.

I will put money on it.

The Passat has skinny all-season tires (195's) with very soft suspension. It is also something like 60%+ nose heavy. In a corner, it starts to roll over and plow. Quite humerous!

The X5 is on 235's and is 50/50 balanced. It goes into a corner flat and then the tires start to slide. It will take an off-ramp much faster than the the Passat.
'Kay E., but does the X5 outhandle the 3 series?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
'Kay E., but does the X5 outhandle the 3 series?
No way...

The X5 is heavier, taller, and has longer spring travel.

(ROFL. I am just giving you he11.)

Your statement ("There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle.") was way too open. I understand your point - but I wanted to jump on you anyway.

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
No way...

The X5 is heavier, taller, and has longer spring travel.

(ROFL. I am just giving you he11.)

Your statement ("There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle.") was way too open. I understand your point - but I wanted to jump on you anyway.
Least you can do is mention that my @ss got spanked by a grandma, and that I didn't even know that I've been driving on a flat tire.

Maybe I should rephrase: "There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle that it's based on."
Old 10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Maybe I should rephrase: "There's no way a heavier, taller vehicle with longer spring travel will outhandle a smaller, lighter, and shorter vehicle that it's based on."

Ha ha ha ha....

Old 10-30-2003, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
FWIW, I think Edmund's favorable comments on the handling (as compared to the 330xi) had to do w/ the new x-drive system that dynamically re-apportions torque. I could imagine that this does do some very nice things for the handling. Now, despite how good the x-drive may be, I'd still be bothered by sitting in a vehicle w/ a high center of gravity. If BMW could find it in their brains to put the x-drive in the 330xi-- they'd have a truly kick-ass awd car.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
FWIW, I think Edmund's favorable comments on the handling (as compared to the 330xi) had to do w/ the new x-drive system that dynamically re-apportions torque. I could imagine that this does do some very nice things for the handling. Now, despite how good the x-drive may be, I'd still be bothered by sitting in a vehicle w/ a high center of gravity. If BMW could find it in their brains to put the x-drive in the 330xi-- they'd have a truly kick-ass awd car.
Rob,

There is no mention of the author comparing the X3 to a 330xi. The author compares it to the 3 series sedan.

" Although this will no doubt produce cries of heresy among the BMW faithful, I prefer the handling of the X3 to that of even the much lauded 3 Series sedan."

After driving the 330xi for more than a year, and thru countless snow storms, I don't know how they could improve upon it's AWD system. On paper some of the "power to the spinning wheels" look good, but the xi's AWD system does a great job at getting you thru the white stuff.

If the X3's X-Drive system does a better job then that's a great bonus.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara