Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Test drove a 528i today

Well folks, Had some time to kill before work today so I went to breakfast with my wife (who is pregnant). I have been obsessing about cars for a couple of months now and I suggested we go test drive a 528i, because I just wanted to cross it off my list. The 550i is in my sights, but I would probably settle for a 535i, because of the prohibitive price (to me) of the 550i. My wife agreed, to my surprise and we headed to the dealership.

On arrival, there was a beautiful dark graphite 528i (with sport package) sitting in front. Without hesitation I found the man I spoke with and we proceeded with the copy of drivers license and then out to the car.

I was immediately impressed with how "beefy" this car looked. Xenon headlamps, 18" sport rims which looked very nice. I liked how the tires had just enough profile to prevent curb rash to the wheels. On entering the vehicle the door handle was nice and thick. The chrome tipped exhaust protruded out from the bumper with perfection which added to the sporty look.

The interior was beautiful with black dakota leather, anthracite headliner, sport auto with paddle shifters, Navi, convenience package, etc. We proceeded to exit the lot and I had the car in "normal" driving mode. not quite my taste, but I proceeded to go into sport and sport + mode. This car immediately crossed out the 550i and 535i from my list. I was pleasantly surprised with the pickup and passing power. And for the miles I put on the car, the gas mileage and long-term peace of mind of the aspirated engine really excited me. Oh, and did I mention the anthracite headliner!!!???!!! My cars have never had it and I thought that it was an overrated option, but now I will not go without it.

Im not taking away from the 535i or the 550i if money is not an object, but if you are looking for practicality while not breaking the bank for a BMW, I highly recommend the 528i. This is after owning a 335i and a 535i.

Although I do not plan on purchasing until late next year, The guy seemed like he gave me an "okay" deal. The cost he quoted me was about 53,200 AFTER the holiday cash. The MSRP was around 57,400 or close to that.

The only thing the car did not have was the fold rear seats, HUD, and cold weather package to the best of my memory

Another thing that irritated me was that the APR for 60 months is 4.9% This is much higher than in the past couple of years for a brand new BMW. However, they did offer .9% for 36 months.

In conclusion I am happy that I am not brainwashed with the turbo engines any longer. It is going to be a very long year until I am able to purchase

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Thanks for the comparison input. From what I gathered, most drivers don't notice a difference in ride (which is nice and comfy), but it's at high speeds or noticing seconds faster acceleration.

Debating between 28 and 35. ....and for 5k, there are many more options to pack in on the 28 and still get the performance of a sport sedan.

lot of diapers too ;o]
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Well folks, Had some time to kill before work today so I went to breakfast with my wife (who is pregnant). I have been obsessing about cars for a couple of months now and I suggested we go test drive a 528i, because I just wanted to cross it off my list. The 550i is in my sights, but I would probably settle for a 535i, because of the prohibitive price (to me) of the 550i. My wife agreed, to my surprise and we headed to the dealership.

On arrival, there was a beautiful dark graphite 528i (with sport package) sitting in front. Without hesitation I found the man I spoke with and we proceeded with the copy of drivers license and then out to the car.

I was immediately impressed with how "beefy" this car looked. Xenon headlamps, 18" sport rims which looked very nice. I liked how the tires had just enough profile to prevent curb rash to the wheels. On entering the vehicle the door handle was nice and thick. The chrome tipped exhaust protruded out from the bumper with perfection which added to the sporty look.

The interior was beautiful with black dakota leather, anthracite headliner, sport auto with paddle shifters, Navi, convenience package, etc. We proceeded to exit the lot and I had the car in "normal" driving mode. not quite my taste, but I proceeded to go into sport and sport + mode. This car immediately crossed out the 550i and 535i from my list. I was pleasantly surprised with the pickup and passing power. And for the miles I put on the car, the gas mileage and long-term peace of mind of the aspirated engine really excited me. Oh, and did I mention the anthracite headliner!!!???!!! My cars have never had it and I thought that it was an overrated option, but now I will not go without it.

Im not taking away from the 535i or the 550i if money is not an object, but if you are looking for practicality while not breaking the bank for a BMW, I highly recommend the 528i. This is after owning a 335i and a 535i.

Although I do not plan on purchasing until late next year, The guy seemed like he gave me an "okay" deal. The cost he quoted me was about 53,200 AFTER the holiday cash. The MSRP was around 57,400 or close to that.

The only thing the car did not have was the fold rear seats, HUD, and cold weather package to the best of my memory

Another thing that irritated me was that the APR for 60 months is 4.9% This is much higher than in the past couple of years for a brand new BMW. However, they did offer .9% for 36 months.

In conclusion I am happy that I am not brainwashed with the turbo engines any longer. It is going to be a very long year until I am able to purchase
Very nice review! Great car, great choice and you will love the MPG.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoved View Post
Thanks for the comparison input. From what I gathered, most drivers don't notice a difference in ride (which is nice and comfy), but it's at high speeds or noticing seconds faster acceleration.

Debating between 28 and 35. ....and for 5k, there are many more options to pack in on the 28 and still get the performance of a sport sedan.

lot of diapers too ;o]
I honestly think your conclusion is probably right for most people. The difference in feel of the cars tends to be more pronounced as one approaches higher speeds and, especially, when one needs to accelerate once at higher speeds. I noticed that my 535xi was a bit sluggish accelerating at speeds above 110 mph while driving on the autobahn in Germany during my European delivery experience. But, who cares? I never drive anywhere near that fast here in the USA.

My guess is that the 550i's bigger V-8 would not have felt sluggish at all under those circumstances. For most of us in the USA - especially those of us who live in major metropolitan areas, we probably won't appreciate the differences in everyday driving between the 528, 535 and 550 unless one really wants to win the "face off" at every traffic light. But, almost all of us will enjoy saving money on gas by using the smaller engines.

I'm pretty confident that many prospective buyers will be very happy with a 528i, especially if they drive it in DS or Sports mode when they need/want a burst of acceleration.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:

Are you a BMW CCA member yet? If not join to get that discount saves you another $1,000.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:39 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf1993 View Post
The difference in feel of the cars tends to be more pronounced as one approaches higher speeds and, especially, when one needs to accelerate once at higher speeds.
Actually, IMO, the difference is evident every time you accelerate from a stop, or other "regular" driving maneuvers. Having 300 pounds of torque at 1200 rpm vs. 230 at 2600 makes a noticeable difference in "push". I'm sure the 528i is a great car and has ample power, but I don't think you have to travel at high speeds to notice a dramatic difference.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Are you a BMW CCA member yet? If not join to get that discount saves you another $1,000.
Before he gets too excited, just note you have to be a member for at least 1 year to get the discount. I could kick myself that I didn't join several years ago when I bought my first BMW. My sales mgr mentioned something but I didn't really know about the discount. You can be sure I'll be getting the BMWCCA discount next time around!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Actually, IMO, the difference is evident every time you accelerate from a stop, or other "regular" driving maneuvers. Having 300 pounds of torque at 1200 rpm vs. 230 at 2600 makes a noticeable difference in "push". I'm sure the 528i is a great car and has ample power, but I don't think you have to travel at high speeds to notice a dramatic difference.
I think you are both right. IMO, the most salient characteristic of the TT 4.4 l engine is its ability to accelerate at higher speeds. I have taken mine from 80 to 125 mph (on just a couple of occasions, mind you) and the engine just took it in stride. The acceleration was smooth and strong, and the time it took to get to 125 just felt like moments (I did not time it, as I was too thrilled to do anything other than overtake Audis and MBs).

On the other hand, the amazing torque of the 550i can also be felt at much lower speeds, in normal driving conditions. But I would never say that the 528i is underpowered. It is just that the 550i is a monster! I owned an E60 528i for 3 years prior to getting my F10 550i, and on American roads I had no trouble in passing, merging or even speeding. The 528i is a fine car, probably handles just a tad better that the 550i, and is a delight to drive.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.

Last edited by Rafa; 12-17-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Yes, I just re-signed up as a BMWCCA member. So I still have to wait until November 2012 to get the credit.

We will see what kind of pre-owned 550s, and 535i's pop up near next Christmas 2011 as well. I really don't want to take another new vehicle depreciation hit, although I prefer brand new.

Has anyone here had experience with CPOs in the past? Yes, the vehicle would be a year old, but it interests me that I can get more bang for my buck buying an F10 next year.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Keep in mind, also, that you are in Florida, where things are flat and at sea level. The difference with the 535 and 550 is more pronounced when you are at high altitude, or when going up hills and grades.

The bottom line is, IMO, if you like the car with .28 in it, and it satisfies your needs and wants at a price point you are comfortable with, there is no need to go up the cost scale. Put the difference in the kids college fund.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 12-18-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Forgive me, I didn't mean to suggest that there isn't a difference in feel between the models, even at lower speeds. Rather, I meant to state that the differences are much more pronounced at higher speed. My guess is that most people - especially in every day driving in the USA - won't focus on whether their car goes 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (550i), 5.8 seconds (535i) or 6.4 seconds (528i). They may "feel" the torque difference to some degree, but the time savings in acceleration probably won't matter to them. Compare that to the time savings in accelerating at high speed and the difference is dramatic.

The 528i is rated at almost 36 seconds from 0-130 by Car and Driver.
The 535i is rated at 26 seconds from 0-130 mph by Car and Driver.
The 550i is rated at 19 seconds from 0-130 mph by Car and Driver.

Those latter distinctions are huge and would be noticeable to anyone who drove all 3.

Here's a link that you can click on to see more details. If you look at this page, you'll easily see the links to the tests for each vehicle. (I didn't bother to include all of the links and hope that doesn't make it difficult for those who want to read more.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Cic
Quote:
Yes, I just re-signed up as a BMWCCA member. So I still have to wait until November 2012 to get the credit.

We will see what kind of pre-owned 550s, and 535i's pop up near next Christmas 2011 as well. I really don't want to take another new vehicle depreciation hit, although I prefer brand new.

Has anyone here had experience with CPOs in the past? Yes, the vehicle would be a year old, but it interests me that I can get more bang for my buck buying an F10 next year.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You can get $400 from BMWCCA for a CPO after 1 yr membership.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Great posts, kamdog and jsf1993! Thank you both for your insightful comments.

I am off to read jsf1993's link.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 AM

Thanks, Rafa.....What really jumps out is how much longer it takes each vehicle to go from 100 mph to 130 mph, which is only a 30 mph increase.

The 550i does it in around 8 seconds.
The 535i does it in around 12 seconds (50% more than the 550i)
The 528i does it in around 18 seconds (more than twice as long a time as the 550i and 50% longer than the 535i).

So, while the 0-60 times only differ by 33% from the 550i's 4.8 to the 528i's 6.4 (and the disparity in seconds is really minimal for a full 60 mph increase in speed), the differences at the higher end are really significant and very noticeable. Just think of it......It takes a 525i 10 seconds longer to climb the 30 mph from 100mph to 130 mph than the 550i. If one drives the car on the autobahn a lot, THAT would be VERY noticeable. Heck, I felt the 4 second difference between the 535i and the 550 at those speeds when I drove in Germany. While the 535i handled the speed well once it got to 125 mph (in my case), it certainly didn't "rocket" up to that speed as compared to its ability to "rocket" up to 60 or 80 mph. And, if I was a German buyer of a 5 series, there is no doubt that I would opt for the 550i, assuming I could afford the cost of the extra gas to run it.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Agreed and the 550i is in another world.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM

I drove my friends X6-50i a couple of weeks ago and it has the same engine. He also had the DINAN upgrade. I tell you...I got up to 80mph almost instantly, but it was BEGGING for more. I was going so fast that people were stopping in front of me (idiots). I don't know if I have enough restraint for an engine like that. I drove it before the DINAN upgrade and it was a beast before that.

I can only imagine what a lighter 550i in comparison to the heavier X6 would feel like.

I will say that I have the biggest smile on my face every time I drive his car. I may end up getting the 535i, it just depends on what is available next year.

CPO 535i or 550 or I may order a brand new 528i to my exact specs. There is something to be said for having it setup exactly the way you want.

sort of off-topic, but my friend bought this X6 two months ago and it is LOADED. MSRP was 88000 I believe and he got it CPOd and everything for around 62000. 9000 miles on the ODO. So Im hoping a deal like this will pop up on a 5 series next year.

Anyhow sorry to go off on a tangent

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
One of the things in favor of ordering it exactly as you want it, is that you can go get it in Munich and drive it around Europe for a piece before they ship it home. If you have another car to drive while you wait for it to come back, and have time to take a little European vacation, well, the ED experience is one not to be missed. Driving the autobahn in a BMW is a lifetime experience.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Master of my domain

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I just configured a 528i and a 535i with nearly all options on both. The difference in price between the two was less than $5000. For that difference, I'd spring for the 535 where I could get the M-sport package.

That said, I started another thread earlier this week about a 528i I had as a loaner while my 5 was in the shop. In all, I was pleasantly surprised, but I still can't get over the upright, almost forward-leaning front grill. The M-sport package seems to help with that.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:44 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PoleCat View Post
I just configured a 528i and a 535i with nearly all options on both. The difference in price between the two was less than $5000. For that difference, I'd spring for the 535 where I could get the M-sport package.

That said, I started another thread earlier this week about a 528i I had as a loaner while my 5 was in the shop. In all, I was pleasantly surprised, but I still can't get over the upright, almost forward-leaning front grill. The M-sport package seems to help with that.
My understanding is that European or German highway authorities have mandated the new front upright grill to improve the pedestrian impact experience (for the pedestrian).

I guess we start seeing more of it ........ grows on you ......

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My understanding is that European or German highway authorities have mandated the new front upright grill to improve the pedestrian impact experience (for the pedestrian).

I guess we start seeing more of it ........ grows on you ......
Yes, it is indeed due to the design limitations of the new EU Pedestrian ratings, and it will be something we will have to live with. I'm sure these talented designers will continue to come up with ways to make them look purposeful.

The F10's front is very nice to me, but IMO, it's my least favorite part of the car. I "heard" from a BMW insider that BMW didn't want to invest too much R&D in keeping their front end with the dynamic "slant" (in order to do so, lots of extra protection methods for pedestrians would have to be incorporated, for it to pass EU Tests), so they can use that money elsewhere on the car.

Mercedes has also made statements that their cars will have to go with blunt noses, while, for now, the E and S-Classes will have the extra R&D $$$$ and attention to keep the grilles slightly sweeping/slanted (clamshell bonnet, Grille Airbag, popping up backside of hood, etc.).

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 12-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.