Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535xi LOADED

Can someone explain to me how the profile works? I have a new 535xi and I do not think the profile is working. When my husband gets out of the car the settings remain the same and despite me using my key they do not go back to mine? what am I doing wrong?
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by efex101 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the profile works? I have a new 535xi and I do not think the profile is working. When my husband gets out of the car the settings remain the same and despite me using my key they do not go back to mine? what am I doing wrong?
Sometimes, you may find that you need to press lock and unlock on your "other" key fob for it to recognize the change. Give it a try. I hope it solves your problem for you.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 series
If only your key is around, the car should have switched to your profile. If two keys are close to each other, then the car may sense the wrong key and pick the wrong profile.

There are two easy ways to make sure the car has switched to your profile when both you and husband are traveling together, and you suspect that the profile is incorrect. If you are OUTSIDE the car, grab and HOLD the door handle for 1 to 2 seconds. OR, if you are INSIDE the car, press the unlock button in your remote once (no need to press lock first).

Each profile has separate seat memories, radio station presets, memory buttons assignment, last used iDrive display settings etc. So if you program your seat memory under your key, you cannot access that with your husband's key (each key has two seat memories). You should also make sure you have set your iDrive for seats to go back to last used. You can "rename" your profile to under your name instead of #1 and #2. But don't change the profile through iDrive, use my two methods above; unless it's for guest/extra member profile. Otherwise it will be very confusing next time you drive the car.

You can also program one or two radio presets or memory button assignment to be different from that of your hushand; this way, you can quickly tell which profile the car is using.

Last edited by nosnoop; 12-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.