Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535 & 06 325
Can USB Audio and Bluetooth Audio Coexist?

My recently acquired F10 is a post September build so it has the Combox. I have an iPhone 4 and have noticed that, while using the USB audio connection in the console there is no way to play bluetooth audio, such as from Pandora. In fact under external devices, when the USB audio is connected, the music symbol is not available for my bluetooth device. I also found that, once a USB audio connection is established, the only way to restablish a bluetooth audio connection is to delete the pairing of my iPhone and BMW, begin the pairing again, and make sure that the USB audio connector is not plugged into the iPhone.

What am I missing, or is this the way it is? Sort of makes it a real pain if you want to switch from USB audio to bluetooth audio for listening to an internet stream, particularly with the need to pair again.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I hope it's as easy as I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 series
That should not be the case.
Obviously, you cannot play files simultaneously from both USB and Bluetooth, but you should be able to keep both connected, and choose the source between the two freely using iDrive.

Have you updated your iPhone to 4.1 or 4.2.1? If not, you need to get it updated.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 PM

I am using 4.2.1, which is the latest. Perhaps a reboot of my phone is needed.

Are you having no difficulty switching from one to the other?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
Are you having no difficulty switching from one to the other?
Actually, maybe we are talking about different things.
Are you trying to connect the iPhone 4 using both USB and Bluetooth at the same time?

What I was referring to in the reply above was having two devices connected using USB and Bluetooth. I have not tried connecting the iPhone using both USB and Bluetooth; I use a USB thumb drive while having iPhone connected using BlueTooth. This way, I don't need to plug and unplug my iPhone every time I get into / out of my car.

Last edited by nosnoop; 12-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Actually, maybe we are talking about different things.
Are you trying to connect the iPhone 4 using both USB and Bluetooth at the same time?

What I was referring to in the reply above was having two devices connected using USB and Bluetooth. I have not tried connecting the iPhone using both USB and Bluetooth; I use a USB thumb drive while having iPhone connected using BlueTooth. This way, I don't need to plug and unplug my iPhone every time I get into / out of my car.
I think we are talking about something different. I like the idea of having my iPhone plugged into the USB connection so that it can have power and also play music from the iPod portion of the iPhone. Perhaps, if that's not going to work, I might want to move the music to a thumb drive and just power the iPhone through the power plug rather than the USB audio connection.

Anyone else have the same experience as me?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I also ran into this issue. I tried to connect my old iPhone 3G to the USB with the white cable (so that I can access my songs, and get album artwork on screen). That worked great. I then paired my iPhone 4 using bluetooth. The phone feature works great. When you try to get the iphone 4 to start streaming music (like in Pandora) with the bluetooth connected iPhone 4, the car does not allow you to do it. If you disconnect the USB connected iphone 3G, you can stream audio from the iphone 4 without a problem. Not sure why this is...but I have not yet found a work around....
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Sorry re read your thread...my issue is a little different from yours...I think you should be able to do what you are talking about - use your ihpone 4 for bluetooth phone stuff, and connect it to the usb for the music. There are a few weird settings that you have to get into deep in the menu setup (like hit the CD button, then the option button and play around there - also off the main menu go into telephone and play around with some of the pairing settings - bluetooth for phone only, not audio). I had to check and uncheck a few boxes to get things working in there...
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashushan View Post
Sorry re read your thread...my issue is a little different from yours...I think you should be able to do what you are talking about - use your ihpone 4 for bluetooth phone stuff, and connect it to the usb for the music. There are a few weird settings that you have to get into deep in the menu setup (like hit the CD button, then the option button and play around there - also off the main menu go into telephone and play around with some of the pairing settings - bluetooth for phone only, not audio). I had to check and uncheck a few boxes to get things working in there...
Actually I want the best of all possible worlds, which would be to use the USB Audio capability to play my iPod music from the iPhone and use Bluetooth Audio capability to play internet audio. If that's impossible, then I'll have to figure out how to upload to a flash drive all of my iTunes music content, including cover art, and then use that flash drive in the USB Audio connection, and then the iPhone would just be powered from the accessory power plug in the console. If I can't upload all of that to a flash drive, getting a dedicated iPod just for that purpose is certainly an inexpensive alternative.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If that's impossible, then I'll have to figure out how to upload to a flash drive all of my iTunes music content, including cover art, and then use that flash drive in the USB Audio connection, and then the iPhone would just be powered from the accessory power plug in the console.
That's pretty easy, actually. Just copy and paste your Music folder under iTunes into the flash drive. As for cover art, you just have to make sure that they are all embedded into each file (iTunes stores them separately by default), and they will be displayed correctly.
You can export the playlists too. Just copy the exported m3u files to the flash drive, can be put anywhere; but you need to use a text editor to "search and replace" the file path in the m3u files to that of the flash drive.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
That's pretty easy, actually. Just copy and paste your Music folder under iTunes into the flash drive. As for cover art, you just have to make sure that they are all embedded into each file (iTunes stores them separately by default), and they will be displayed correctly.
You can export the playlists too. Just copy the exported m3u files to the flash drive, can be put anywhere; but you need to use a text editor to "search and replace" the file path in the m3u files to that of the flash drive.

Actually, it was pretty easy. Seems to me that it's impossible to have the iPhone configured to both stream USB Audio as well as Bluetooth Audio, but it really was quite simple just to dump my iTunes library onto a 16gb flash drive. As for the cover art, I'll just have to go back and embed the ones that are not attached to the music file, but no big deal.

Another question, Nosnoop, if you know the answer. How can I remove a CD that was ripped and saved to my Music Collection. Can't seem to find the menu item to do that. Now that I have my music on my USB drive, no need to have a duplicate on the car's hard drive.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Another question, Nosnoop, if you know the answer. How can I remove a CD that was ripped and saved to my Music Collection. Can't seem to find the menu item to do that. Now that I have my music on my USB drive, no need to have a duplicate on the car's hard drive.
Make sure you are not playing the tracks or album you are trying to delete.
Then go to Music Collection, highlight the album (but do not click to select), press the option key, and choose "delete album".