Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i (1985 - M10)
Issue with idling when the car heats up

Hey Guys, I am new here. I have a BMW 318i (1985 - m10). The car was my dad's car and the car blew the top gasket. So my dad had the head redone and he then put it on the car years later but he never finished the job.

The car has been standing for 11 YEARS! So my dad passed away, a couple of years later I took it to a mechanic to finish the job... but he could never start the engine. He took a lot of money, did NO work what so ever and stole my radiator. So three weeks ago I started working on the car to keep me busy during the day.

Now I am not a mechanic at all, but I know a few things. So I got the engine to start, he had a timing issue so I replaced the spark plugs with cables, distributor cap and rotor and did a whole service on the car. The exhaust is rotten, but I will have a new one put in shortly.

So now I have a issue that I can not figure out. The car will start and Idle fine but the moment it heats up it will all of the sudden lose power and run as if you pull out the plug on the distributor. So I also pulled out number 1's plug on the distributor and it keeps on running the same, when I pull the others out, one by one, the engine dies. I have even changed the injectors and it is till doing that. But when the engine is cold the car starts perfect and idles perfect.

Please, can anyone give me advice????
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 525iA, '87 325e 5spd
Have similar issues. Will be checking fuel pump and CTS There are apparently many potential culprits. Have already made sure relays and fuses are ok. My Indy is betting fuel pump. External on my car. ( also have an intank supply pump too) Stalls when warm and won't restart when warm. 87 325e. Good luck!
P
Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i (1985 - M10)
I think I might have figured it out.

I took my distributor off and found that there was a lot of play with the shaft that runs in it with the gear on. When i push it up and down it moves like almost 1cm. So I guess it moves up while idling and then the timing goes out. Luckily I had bought a very good distributor and found that there was very little play on the shaft, so I've put it in, and now it seems to be fixed, I took the car for a drive and it did very well.

So i will see how it goes from here on.