Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Angry Spray wax on soft top - help!

I have a Z4 with a black soft top. Today, at a manual car wash, the guy who washed my car accidentally sprayed some wax over the top. I've subsequently read on the Internet that a spray wax should never be applied to a soft top; but I still don't know why. Can anyone please explain why?

Then, can anyone please advise what I should do? Should I: a) not worry about it (as it was a one off); b) wash the top with soap and a soft sponge? c) do anything else?

Many thanks for your help!
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN Z3 3.0,535i,MINI
The three nevers when owning a Z.

Never have your oil changed by an outfit like Jiffy Lube or any company like that.

Never put your roadster through a car wash.

Never put a bumper sticker on it that says "All Other Cars Suck" and then park it in a public area.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostverloren View Post
The three nevers when owning a Z.

Never have your oil changed by an outfit like Jiffy Lube or any company like that.

Never put your roadster through a car wash.

Never put a bumper sticker on it that says "All Other Cars Suck" and then park it in a public area.
I break number 1 and 2 all the time.

Jiffy Lube is fine. Just bring your own oil and filter. Tell them exactly how much to put in, and watch them do the work. It's $15 for the service, and worth every penny.

Touchless car washes are certainly better than leaving salt and chemicals on the car during the winter. Just be sure to use a good sealant when you do a detail twice a year.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
Wax tends to discolor the top. Most waxes are water soluble. I would worry more about it if it was summer. I would take a soft brush to it, something stiffer than a shoe brush. Then as spring gets here, do the soft top cleaner and protection , before summer comes on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5, Audi S4, Gallardo
Get a good convertible top cleaner, and use a brush as mentioned above, to get as much out as you can. And then apply good convertible top sealer. I have had good luck with RAGG Topp.