Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
My New Roadster

Hi Everyone,

So today, I pulled the trigger on a new 2011 Z4 35i. Here are the spec's for those who care: Space Gray, Coral Red, ///M Sport Package, 19 inch wheels, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Double Clutch, Heated Seats, and Nav.

I know of the rule and I'll be sure to post up photos as soon as I can... it's raining cats and dogs here in LA. No exaggeration but I do not think it has stopped raining since Friday.

Here are my initial thoughts after putting about 112 miles on the car.

Drive:
It's heavenly. The car runs smooth, nice throttle sound, and great power. The shift is smooth and the power is always there, seemingly endless. Albeit, I am strictly observing the 5K mile rule so I have not pushed it yet at all.

Interior:
Luxurious, but sporty. I wasn't sure if I would like the red interior given that for the past 10 years all of my BMW's have had black interiors. But the Aluminum Carbon Shadow trim/ black dash/ red accents are really growing on me. Not only that but the combo is very Ferrari-like. The fit-and-finish is quintessential BMW. No gaps, knobs/ button feel solid, and so on and so on. My only gripe so far is that the doors don't have that atypical BMW clunk. Can anybody concur?

Exterior:
I'm speechless. The old Z4 was not for everyone (I loved it - after I took delivery of one ). But I think the girls who designed this, outdid themselves. This is thing is a beauty. I don't know if it is the rain, but the xenon's don't seem as powerful as my previous models. Again, I am chalking this up to the rain.

Overall:
Coming from the ///M Roadster, I didn't know how well this car would hold up. As I have said before, the ///M Roadster is visceral in every sense and I miss it daily. After I hit 5K with this one, I'll open up the car and see how they compare. I keep hearing that the current Z is too soft, so I am curious to test this for my self. So far I can say that I love the sound that the current Z makes. At one point, I realized how loud the exhaust is. The cabin is filled with rumbles of the exhaust. Even my girlfriend (on who such things are lost) commented on how "great" the car sounded.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
congrats, show the pix!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
congrats, show the pix!
Absolutely... as soon as I get a chance.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 S30i AW/Ivory M 6MT
Yes, let's see some pics you tease!

I came very close to getting the Al-Carbon trim with my M-pkg s30i, and would like to see how it looks. I ended up going for the ivory/athracite interior at the last minute and love it, but the Al-Carbon trim was intriguing. Have not seen it in person.

I came from an S2000, which is much more scalpel-like in handling, steering, and shifting compared to the Z. But I find that the Z holds corners better than the S2K. Corners that were "thrilling" with the S2K are almost serene with the Z, due to the way it takes a very level, smooth stance and bites in with little drama. It's a different and less involved feel, but the overall limit is higher in the Z from what I can tell.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere View Post
Hi Everyone,

Overall:
.....I keep hearing that the current Z is too soft, so I am curious to test this for my self.
Yup, that's what the e86 owners like to think. Makes 'em feel like they still have the better car. NOT
Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Yup, that's what the e86 owners like to think. Makes 'em feel like they still have the better car. NOT
I don't know. I have not read many reviews saying the E89 is superior to the E85/86///M's....

Last edited by chickdr; 12-25-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Images of the Beast

Thanks for all your patience. Here are the photos that were taken with my phone. If tomorrow it's not raining, I'll take better photos with an actual camera and pull the car out of the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-25 16.49.51.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	259768   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-25 16.50.12.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	259769   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-25 16.49.11.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	259770  

Last edited by gotoschoolhere; 12-26-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I don't know. I have not read many reviews saying the E89 is superior to the E85/86///M's....

Troll alert Troll alert

We have an e86 M owner trolling our forum.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 12-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere View Post
Thanks for all your patience. Here are the photos that were taken with my phone. If tomorrow it's not raining, I'll take better photos with an actual camera and pull the car out of the garage.
Your car looks great! But you've got to ask your dealer to fix your frt plate mtg bracket. I cring everytime I see how the dealers mount them and cover the lower portion of grill. It will mount with 2 screws only - move it down about 1.5". Its an easy DIY. Aero tested to 120 mph - no signs of coming loose.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Man those plates are huge....
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Yeah it was painful to remove my ED tourist plates and install the New World issue. Maybe one of these days when we really adopt the metric system we'll adopt EU type plates also.

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 728i and 525i
front plate

Or,just don't install the front license plate holder, and go without it in Oregon, where the police are generally tolerant and don't bother you about this. That may be because our car registration is cheap, and the state doesn't make much money from it.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Your car looks great! But you've got to ask your dealer to fix your frt plate mtg bracket. I cring everytime I see how the dealers mount them and cover the lower portion of grill. It will mount with 2 screws only - move it down about 1.5". Its an easy DIY. Aero tested to 120 mph - no signs of coming loose.
I was upset to see the bumper drilled. The same dealer had pre-drilled my prior Roadster. It's their crappy store policy. I guess the local police are Nazis and people have been getting tagged. Here in California it's a ticket and not just a "fix-it" ticket. So after getting chewed out a few dozen times, the dealer drills all bumpers as a protocol.

So HerrK, are you suggesting I drill into the black bracket that mounts to my bumper?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 PM

If you remove the BMW Monrovia frame, you will see that they probably mounted the black plastic plate mount with 4 screws, as that is how many holes BMW puts in. So remove those 4 screws. Now you have a frt bumper with either 2 or 4 hoes in it. Just use a small drill 1/16" or 5/64" and drill 2 new holes 1.5" below the top holes in the bumper. Reinstall black plastic BMW mounting plate (or get it and the rear one painted to match while your waiting for your CA plates to arrive) then reinstall using only 2 top screws. If you have to get new screws they are called High Low self tapping screw (McMaster Carr) But you should be able to just reuse the ones the dealer installed.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Patterson View Post
Or,just don't install the front license plate holder, and go without it in Oregon, where the police are generally tolerant and don't bother you about this. That may be because our car registration is cheap, and the state doesn't make much money from it.
Well in CA its a fix it ticket to not have a front plate -no big revenue source here either about $25-30. I drive my car daily and just don't want the copper hassle. In SoCal they stop people oftern without Frt plates because many cities use the red light camera's.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
If you remove the BMW Monrovia frame, you will see that they probably mounted the black plastic plate mount with 4 screws, as that is how many holes BMW puts in. So remove those 4 screws. Now you have a frt bumper with either 2 or 4 hoes in it. Just use a small drill 1/16" or 5/64" and drill 2 new holes 1.5" below the top holes in the bumper. Reinstall black plastic BMW mounting plate (or get it and the rear one painted to match while your waiting for your CA plates to arrive) then reinstall using only 2 top screws. If you have to get new screws they are called High Low self tapping screw (McMaster Carr) But you should be able to just reuse the ones the dealer installed.
Perfect thanks. While I'm not a do-it-yourself'er, this sounds simple enough. Now I just have to find the time to do this.