Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Z4, Going from '04 3.0i to '06 3.0i

I started with a 2004 3.0i, which is now gone but not forgotton. I have been looking for a replacement, and have my eye on an 'o6 3.0i. I know it has 10 less HP, and a little less torque, but with the 6 speed auto and now getting the sport package on the '06, (the '04 did not have it), how much difference would there be. I test drove the '06 around town and couldn't tell much from that.

any one have any experience with both versions?

TIA
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
I put 153K on a 04 and now have an 06 3.0si. Both cars had the steptronic trans. The 04 has a stiffer frame and ride than the 06. In 06 the suspension was made to be softer ride with the RFT's in response to customer complaints. The 06 will sit 1/2 inch higher than the 04, which means the front bumper will not hit as many things. The doors of the 06 and newer will have better sound isolation than the 04 ( no more hollow sounding doors ) 06 and newer will no longer have the amp for the stero in the battery compartment, it will now be under the soft top tray on the wall. If your 04 was a pre 04/04 build, you will now be able to drop the top from the key. The 04 did not have reflectors on the front bumper, the 06 will have reflectors on the flat area of the front fender. The rear tail lights will be different, no more french fry and cat eyes. The dash cluster will have a warning light for open doors and trunk. 06 and newer you should not have Vanos or sticky steering issues as parts were upgraded. The 06 will have the ABS tire monitoring, where the 07 will have the unites installed on the inside of the rims, the 07 will also have the electric water pump. The SI models come with 325mm front brakes, Just an FYI as you are thinking 3.0 and not SI. The only thing a 07 would give you is the standard aux input and three flash turn signals. The fog lights will no longer be round. Are you looking at a roadster or coupe? Does the 06 have paddle shifters and Xenon lights? Take your time and get all the features you want already installed.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone else will come up with something I have not thought about.

Last edited by imz4n; 12-29-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
I put 153K on a 04 and now have an 06 3.0si. Both cars had the steptronic trans. The 04 has a stiffer frame and ride than the 06. In 06 the suspension was made to be softer ride with the RFT's in response to customer complaints. The 06 will sit 1/2 inch higher than the 04, which means the front bumper will not hit as many things. The doors of the 06 and newer will have better sound isolation than the 04 ( no more hollow sounding doors ) 06 and newer will no longer have the amp for the stero in the battery compartment, it will now be under the soft top tray on the wall. If your 04 was a pre 04/04 build, you will now be able to drop the top from the key. The 04 did not have reflectors on the front bumper, the 06 will have reflectors on the flat area of the front fender. The rear tail lights will be different, no more french fry and cat eyes. The dash cluster will have a warning light for open doors and trunk. 06 and newer you should not have Vanos or sticky steering issues as parts were upgraded. The 06 will have the ABS tire monitoring, where the 07 will have the unites installed on the inside of the rims, the 07 will also have the electric water pump. The SI models come with 325mm front brakes, Just an FYI as you are thinking 3.0 and not SI. The only thing a 07 would give you is the standard aux input and three flash turn signals. The fog lights will no longer be round. Are you looking at a roadster or coupe? Does the 06 have paddle shifters and Xenon lights? Take your time and get all the features you want already installed.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone else will come up with something I have not thought about.
I don't think you missed anything, the ride is certainly stiffer pre-06, but the frame (body/chassis stiffness) is the same.

One thing that needs to be mentioned for the OP: the 06 and beyond 3.0 is a replacement for the former 2.5, the 3.0si is the pre 06 3.0 substitute.

When I bought my ZHP, I drove several 3.0si models to replace my 3.0. I didn't like any of them, they were too refined and too soft, I felt my 05 had a nice brutish quality to it excised out of the 06's.

I would've kept the 05, but I couldn't stand the automatic.

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Road Rager

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 SI
I like my 06 Si very much.

I prefer the softer suspension, as this is not a track car.
We're still young, so this is our weekend out touring car.

In another 10 years we'll get an Aston for our weekend cruises.

After the Z4 I'm going 911 GT2. It's cheap fun, why own the same car twice?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I like my 06 Si very much.

I prefer the softer suspension, as this is not a track car.
We're still young, so this is our weekend out touring car.

In another 10 years we'll get an Aston for our weekend cruises.

After the Z4 I'm going 911 GT2. It's cheap fun, why own the same car twice?
We will be using ours for a weekend cruiser, but will stay with BMW so that we can still run with some great people in the local bmwcca chapters.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)