Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
bakoman

Mein Auto: z4m roadster
Question wash a z4

Just got z4m roadster and little worried about best way to wash...any hints or dont do...thanks
Ads by Google
Old 12-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
1. Sheepskin wash mit.
2. Turtle Wax car wash soap (the green stuff).
3. A plastic or rubber coated spray nozzle for your hose.
4. PLENTY of water as you wash and rinse.
5. Change the soapy water when it starts to get dirty. Soap is much cheaper than paint.

Good luck.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
KenTenn

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster
You have just opened Pandora's Box. There are as many opinions on washing/cleaning and soaps, mitts, towels, buckets, etc., as there are cars. Mike is correct in his advice. (I use Maguiers soap, he uses Turtle Wax soap) Drying DOES play a big part in either preventing or creating paint swirls. Check out the Detailing Forum section for the best procedures. Good luck!

'06 Z4M Roadster
'03 Z4 3.0L Roadster (Sold)
'00 Z3 2.3L Roadster (Sold)
www.woodenmachinistchest.com
Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
I do not use soap on the soft top during a normal wash. I rinse the top after giving it a brush with a brush that is soft, but, stiffer that a shoe brush. Here in Cali, I treat the top in September and the top is good to go for a year as we do not usually have rain after April. If you use soap on the top, you may need to treat the top twice a year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW Z4
I wash the wheels and tires first with a separate mix of soapy water. If you wash from the top down by the time you finish the wheels, the car dries with water marks. I use the mitt to wash the car. Separate mitt for wheels and a brush as well. I also use Meguiars car soap. It is designed not to eat the wax. I have been thinking of a filter system for the hose to cut down on spotting. I use a shammy to get the bulk of the water off then dry with microfiber towels. They don't leave lint all over the car. Always just wash the microfiber towels by themselves or they will pick up lent from cotton towels, etc. You can buy a pack with a ton of them at Costco for $10. Individually at Target they are $7-8. If you like shiny tires, use Armorall tire gel in the orangish squirt bottle with foam applicator pad. Keeps from getting the spray products all over the paint and rims. Invisible Glass glass cleaner works great. After you dry the outside and doorjambs, etc, use your damp towel to wipe the interior to remove the dust. Dash, door panels, console.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride! Post some pics when you get the chance.
John

2005 Z4 3.0i Sapphire Black/Red interior
Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
+1 on the Microfiber towels, but we get ours from Sams Club.
+1 on wash wheels 1st.
+1 on McQuire Products, soap, leather cleaner, wax, wheel and mag cleaner.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 z4 3.0 smg
+1 for all above
I personally like to use adams polishes. And their cleaning system
To each their own tho. Everyone has their favorite type of cleaner or wax or polish. But take a look at their site.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
The Adams undercarriage cleaner, Is perfect for wheel well cleaner. Awesome stuff

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
Wink

Generally Amen to all the above...a couple more hints or tips I would add. Try to use a 2 -bucket system...one for washing soapy water with a grid-guard in bottom of the bucket. Check our Grid-guard on Google. The washing soaps listed are all fine. Do not use a dish washing liquid as some are prone to do--it strips off any wax you have. The Mequires is as good as any, it does seem to remove a BIT more wax in tests we have done. But its a fine product.

Hood advice was correct but the companion axiom is that IF you wash it regularly, in a heavier soapy washing solution, it WILL need to be conditioned once dried. Probably the best cleaner and conditioner is the RaggTop brand used by the Hartz manufacturers, but 303 product is good also. The BME dealer has a fine product as well. The ONLY thing I do not like about 303 Protectant is that it is a wet spray, coming out and dropping in wet droplets. I like the aerosol RaggTop as it goes on in neat, not dripping layers--but that me, after years and years [too many some would say] with convertibles. I usually LIGHTLY wash the top, with running water, and a VERY light solution of wash soap just to break up the surface dirt but not disturb the conditioner protection. I also vacuum the top and use a lint roller on it once a week...amazing what it takes up and does not settle INTO the fibers..which in turn makes it easier to wash and keep clean.

Good luck on this...BTW--check out www.autogeek.com for videos on just the things you want...washing, top conditioning, with full instructions etc. Also great services on many fine products...and nope am not a part of the comoany. Just a fine repository of detailing info that can keep you up far too late on the computer, with things your kids can see.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
Cool

Sorry in re-reading..the 2 bucket system means, one bucket for soapy water, one for clean rinse. Gotta keep my buckets in right place...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
bakoman

Mein Auto: z4m roadster
Thumbs up

thx for all the helpful hints....i guess my main concern is spraying the roof and getting too much water where its not a good place, and just towel dry roof before opening or should you wait x amount of time before opening roof.