Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 750il
e38 drivers door stuck closed!!

last winter my door lock catch stuck open when very cold and I had to warm it up with a hair dryer for the door to stay closed, i was planing on replacing the lock or at least removing it and lubing it, but I never got round to it.........

this year the door is stuck shut, the central locking is working fine.

Today it opened ok and shut ok, then would not open, I tried booting from the inside with my au pair holding the external door lever open, nothing.

I took it out and parked up for the RAC to try with a slim jim, but they couldnt open it.

the interior handle and external handles "feel" fine.

I think my problem if just a dry stuck catch, but I dont know how to get it open to repair the door catch.

I am sure I could get a replacement interior door panel if I have to destroy mine, if there is a way of releasing the stuck lock internally or is there a technique to help the stuck lock open by poking something past the door rubber seal to poke it open?

any suggestions or links to posts dealing with this gratefully receievd!!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Check out www.E38.org for some useful information about these cars.

I think there is a link on that site that discusses the door lock actuator, and what you have to do to replace it if the door stays locked.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 750il
door lock actuator

many thanks for that

can you explain what the actuator does, I thought it controlled the door lock which is popping up and down fine. Or does it control the door catch like a dead lock?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I've never had to take out the door panel so to be honest, I'm not completely sure. I'm pretty sure that it disconnects the handle and the key lock from the actual lock so that it cannot be unlocked even if someone wants to steal the car by breaking a window and reaching inside, or using a lockpick/slim-jim. This is the only car I know of where you can lock someone inside by pressing the lock button on the key, and they would have no way out other that breaking a window.