Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: now a 2000 bmw x5
hi i have a 2000 bmw x5 with 190000 miles . yesterday the check engine light came on and the warning trans failsafe prog .and now drives only 3rd and 4 gear today the battery die. what can i do. help
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I am the Wumpus

Mein Auto: 1996 E39 535i V8 sedan
Maybe put a new battery in it.
Its all relative...
  • Cracked windscreen
View my album- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/album.php?u=158428
Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Hello there failsafe people. Thanks for info i think replacing my batt cost the same re set my computer to the dealer , i will replace my batt and check alt. Then i will tell you what happen
Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBBMW View Post
I'm in the same shoes as hakob83. My car was at the Dealer for 2 days because it was driving in Tranny Fail-safe program mode (feels like its Limping in 3rd gear). The ASC, ABS, Engine Check and the ATC indicator Lamps were all on. After a Diag, The Dealer recommended I need a Speed sensor, maybe a ABS module, a thermostat and a Tranny. I decided to take my car home without having them do the repair.
After bringing the car home, I decided to replace the speed sensor and it cleared the ASC, ABS indicator lamps. ATC lamp is still on and the car is still limping. Does it make sense to pay for another 1hr labor cost($117) for the Dealer to reset the DME or OBD. Will this be the solution for the limping.
Thank you for your inputs on this issue.
Did the stealer give you the actual codes for the EGS (Transmission control) module? If so then post them and then some savvy members would be able to provide help..
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Sapphire Black

Mein Auto: BMW M-540i (E39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by web_designer View Post
Again, you need a cap.
That IS a voltage problem, but you don't want a cap, as it will ONLY help your AMP keep it's own vaultage up enough to feed the subs, but will continue to drain your car. The problem if more than likely your alt. Your battery and system is only as good as the alt. powering it. Dimming lights is the first sighn of this.

Also if you DO want a better battery, go with an Optima Yellow Top deep cylce battery. That will serve better than a cap.

N.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li 330i K1200LT TL ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W. View Post
That IS a voltage problem, but you don't want a cap, as it will ONLY help your AMP keep it's own vaultage up enough to feed the subs, but will continue to drain your car. The problem if more than likely your alt. Your battery and system is only as good as the alt. powering it. Dimming lights is the first sighn of this.

Also if you DO want a better battery, go with an Optima Yellow Top deep cylce battery. That will serve better than a cap.

N.
Agreed - and your battery itself is sort of like a big cap anyway...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 740i e38 2000 v8 4.4
mr

hi all i have bmw e39 740 i v8 4.4 i have had trans problem befor i was looking to buy 2nd hand transmission afew days befor i change the transmission tran failsafe pro come up on dash but the car was driven normaly i bought transmission replased with new trany i have failsafe pro agin i did alot but the car is same have read most of the commen in net i did every thing but no help i have did blew
the car is in the 4th gear but reverse is good when i start the car for 2-4 second is oki the trans fails safe will apear
have read most of the commen in net i did every thing but no help i have did blew

1-change new battry
2-i have checked the altrnative its reading betwen 13.9 to 14
3- i take the battry off for all night
4-i have reset the code many time with code reader no help
5- i have change the trans body valvue

the transmission i have with 3 month warranty i speak to the seller he is sure the trans is 100 good
what other thing i have not done that i should do or check please inform me
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM

hi all i have bmw e39 740 i v8 4.4 i have had trans problem befor i was looking to buy 2nd hand transmission afew days befor i change the transmission tran failsafe pro come up on dash but the car was driven normaly i bought transmission replased with new trany i have failsafe pro agin i did alot but the car is same have read most of the commen in net i did every thing but no help i have did blew
the car is in the 4th gear but reverse is good when i start the car for 2-4 second is oki the trans fails safe will apear
have read most of the commen in net i did every thing but no help i have did blew

1-change new battry

the transmission i have with 3 month warranty i speak to the seller he is sure the trans is 100 good
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM

hi all i have bmw e38 740 i v8 4.4 i have had trans problem befor i was looking to buy 2nd hand transmission afew days befor i change the transmission tran failsafe pro come up on dash but the car was driven normaly i bought transmission replased with new trany i have failsafe pro agin i did alot but the car is same have read most of the commen in net i did every thing but no help i have did blew

1-change new battry

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X 5 4.4i
Transmission issue???

This issue seems to be *Transmission related* However it happened to my: (01 X5 4.4i) today as everybody can remember about the (Heaviest snow Fall in New york on Dec.26 through 27/ 10).
While I was fighting with some heavy snow in front of my house forcing my car to go in reverse and forward but got stuck. Suddenly I saw this message appeared in my dashboard: (TRANSMISSION FAIL SAFE MODE). And it only last for 3 second but disappeared after. I parked my car and go back out later, I did not see anything and seems to be driven as normal.
I'm keeping my eyes on it to see and I hope nothing will happen to my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullyloaded.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	260081  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 530i
trans failsafe prog vs peake

does anyone have confirmation that the "peake" tool will reset "trans failsafe prog"

i took my car to an indy mech do to the "trans failsafe prog." they reset it and then couldn't find the problem. fast forward 10 months and the "trans failsafe prog" came on again. i realize that it happens only when i drive thru deep water

now before i take it back to mech, i was planning on buying the peake tool, but before i do that i just want confirmation the peake tool will reset this code.

thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
No, GT-1 required.

Your TFP is being triggered by a faulty sensor (ABS?) when you drive through deep water. Happened to me on a cold wet rainy day. A PITA but at least your tranny is fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
No, GT-1 required.

Your TFP is being triggered by a faulty sensor (ABS?) when you drive through deep water. Happened to me on a cold wet rainy day. A PITA but at least your tranny is fine.
Wish I checked the forum earlier.

Had the TFSP come up in 2005 when my 2002 e39 was still under warranty. BMW Manhattan (NYC) "lost" our car for 2 weeks during the service (no tech would tell us where the car was or when we could expect it); we ultimately got an apology from BMW Corporate and a new (probably refurbished tranny).

It came up again about 4 years ago (post warranty) and the dealership said there were issues with the tranny which required about $1500 worth of work (don't remember what that was now).

It's worked fine until last week when the car seemed to stall when I came to a red stoplight, but would come out of the stall the moment I hit the gas again. It happened again last night (as I hit the brakes coming up on a stop sign), but this time the TFSP warning came up briefly, then the car went out of stall when I hit the gas. So bizarre.

I'd rather do DIY now, especially if it's not a transmission or engine issue (hoping). Fudman, can you please elaborate on the GT-1 tool necessary for the TFSP reset? I'm only familiar with the typical Actron type OBD readers. Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X 5 4.4i
Transmission fail safe mode updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetx5 View Post
This issue seems to be *Transmission related* However it happened to my: (01 X5 4.4i) today as everybody can remember about the (Heaviest snow Fall in New york on Dec.26 through 27/ 10).
While I was fighting with some heavy snow in front of my house forcing my car to go in reverse and forward but got stuck. Suddenly I saw this message appeared in my dashboard: (TRANSMISSION FAIL SAFE MODE). And it only last for 3 second but disappeared after. I parked my car and go back out later, I did not see anything and seems to be driven as normal.
I'm keeping my eyes on it to see and I hope nothing will happen to my baby.
OK just an update about my (transmission fail safe mode program) who pop-up
for approximatively 3 seconds and disappeared on Dec. 26, while trying to get my car out from heaviest snow. Well...As today May 05 2011 which is nearly 5 months now, I've never seeing such message like that and hopefully my transmission is still up to date!!!

(01 X5 4.4i)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullyloaded.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	277388  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Trans failsafe prog..

This came up on my car while my friend was reversing. It's not the battery because I just put a new one in. Reversing is fine but when I am in drive and accelerate my rpms go up but my car has no power and then the trans failsafe prog comes on and my car seems to have some power as if it was in a high gear. What could this be? My car is a 98' 540i
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528i, 99 740i, 00 740i
any updates on the TFSP? is anyone getting a code p0743 as well
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Hey everyone! I have had the Trans Failsafe Mode error 2x in the past several weeks. Yesterday the entire electrical system freaked out on my wife. Told her to stop the car shut it off. Cleared the failsafe mode and electrical problems. Any suggestions on the electrical issues?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoholt View Post
Hey everyone! I have had the Trans Failsafe Mode error 2x in the past several weeks. Yesterday the entire electrical system freaked out on my wife. Told her to stop the car shut it off. Cleared the failsafe mode and electrical problems. Any suggestions on the electrical issues?
Most likely a failing battery or alternator is triggering the TPFS message. This is a common cause of the TPFS message when accompanied by simultaneous concurrent electrical issues. Perform the battery and alternator tests to confirm the source of the problem. Do a search on this forum for more background info and how to perform the tests.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Most likely a failing battery or alternator is triggering the TPFS message. This is a common cause of the TPFS message when accompanied by simultaneous concurrent electrical issues. Perform the battery and alternator tests to confirm the source of the problem. Do a search on this forum for more background info and how to perform the tests.
+1. Alternator is most likely culprit. If battery you would have starting problems long before these issues. Get er checked out or use the OBC to verify voltages while underway. Most auto parts stores have a the diagnostic tool to perform the check in a few minutes for free. Although, your "battery" indicator should be illuminated on the dash if there is an alternator problem. Both times my alternator failed the battery indicator illuminated. (just had my second failure at 192k miles)
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 03-31-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the info. OBC was showing 11.2v from the alternator this morning and battery has been on the charger all afternoon. Looks like I will be replacing the alternator. Found this good step by step for replacing the alternator. (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...or-replacement)

Last edited by fotoholt; 03-31-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Just to follow up on this thread. Replaced the Alternator and Thermostat today. Found a reman Alt. from Bavarian Auto for a great price. Couldn't find the M50 Torx so I used a T45 Torx. Also needed a long-handled 10mm wrench in order to pry the fan loose.

OBC is now showing 13.8v with no warnings.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i Msport
So I have done a fair amount of research via old posts on Trans Failsafe Program and it seems my situation is somewhat unique. Yesterday I drove from DC to Baltimore and after arriving pulled up to a red light. Trans Failsafe came up on dash and I could barely limp off road. After I made it to safe location I turned off the car and let it sit. Disconnected the negative terminal of battery and touch to positive to reset computer. Had to get car towed to dealer, for diagnostic, but unlike others who were able to turn car back on, I am not able to start the vehicle. Looks like a fair amount of people found it to be an issue with battery/alternator. Any suggestions as the stealership will not be able to look at it until Monday?

2003 e39 540 Msport 125k miles
No tranny issues in past except coming to a stop car downshifts a tad bit rough (doesnt jerk, but you can certainly feel it). Also, when reversing on a decline, car will roll forward slightly before gears engage to reverse up hill.
Battery and DME less than 2 years old.
Dont know last time tranny fluid was replaced.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
I've had the trans failsafe prog twice.

Once I had to get towed
- One users' example of total electrical failure (AAA towed away) alternator repair (1)

The other, I needed to charge my battery:
- One user's TFP TRANS FAILSAFE PROG automatic transmission TPF experience stuck in limp mode (1)

Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM

trans failsafe prog.

This sounds totally like an alternator issue. After the drive the battery was dead. When my alternator failed, I has the ability to fully charge the battery.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
I had the Trans. Failsafe once in 2008. After a huge amount of money spent at the dealer to diagnose it ended up being the ignition switch. Smooth sailing since. Don't even ask how much $.
BMWCCA#401441