Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Well you just got a fresh motor after 38k. I would bet you will not have another motor issue. I believe the odds are in your favor. I hope my motor detonates at in 25-30k so I can get a new one. It should increase the resale value
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 35d
oh yes, funf dreisig was right on the money with his comment about the dealer pushing off repairs and blaming bmw. SM admitted at meeting that for week after towed in. Little/nothing done to my low priority vehicle because of snow storm and more urgent work. I can understand this but SA lied to me early on when he said delay was because Regional people take up to 2 days to repspond to email. SM said no, they reply almost instantly and delay was because of weather. Nice.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojournalist View Post
oh yes, funf dreisig was right on the money with his comment about the dealer pushing off repairs and blaming bmw. ....
As much as I'd like to take credit... that insight was ARD's.

Funf Dreisig
Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojournalist View Post
Had "come to Jesus" monday but only with Service Manager (S/M). Showed us old engine. Bent #6 rod. Wiped out crank. Our position: new engine......
Will try and download crappy cell phone pics of engine. Everyone agrees cylender hydro'ed from bad injector but is it the injector or the software????
The pics will be interesting even if they are not the best quality.

By "cylender hydro'ed from bad injector" I assume you mean that the cylinder filled with diesel and basically the piston could not travel to the full height due to the fluid's incompressibility. That would surely bend the rod and it seems the crank as well. But I'd worry about damage to the head too (e.g. valves, cam, etc.). So.... I'd be sure when they say a "new engine" they are NOT talking about a short block but a full engine -- including the head.

As for extending the warranty.... my concern would be about other parts that may have taken additional strain. From your earlier description of when the knocking stared, that seems unlikely. But I'd be sure to think through exactly what you (or your wife) heard or felt that could suggest damage other than to the engine.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 12-02-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling error fixed with a 'word' not in the spell checker :)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3 Melbourne Red
At the very least, I would think you could get your car CPO'd. Even if you had to pay for it yourself it might be a good idea considering only 2K left.

2013 M3 DCT
Past: 2002 330Ci Topaz (loved that car), 2009 X6 50i
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Was the rod still attached at both ends? As was pointed out earlier, there was someone who lost a rod bolt...

I'd vote on injector and not software.... If it were it would be endemic... or maybe something about your operating condition was so far outside normal bounds that untested or unexpected codes/tables/registered caused a fault. I'm thinking mechanical.

They'll do a new engine I expect.... if it is a small dealer BMWNA should recognize the risk of letting them piece together parts, although you might remind them of this. BMW, not the dealer. Before they place the order.

GL

A
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
By "cylender hydro'ed from bad injector" I assume you mean that the cylinder filled with diesel and basically the piston could not travel to the full height due to the fluid's incomprehensibility.

I had hydrolock happen on a 1992 Taurus, but that was due to a cylinder being filled with coolant from a head gasket leak. I got off easy, as rather than damaging the engine, it split the pinon gear on the starter. At first I thought it was just a starter gear failure and tried a new starter -- it split the inion gear also. So then I checked the engine and found one cylinder full of antifreeze.

Replaced the gasket myself, replaced the O2 sensor, and it ran with no problems for several years after that.

I guess sometimes it's good to have a weak link in the chain, either by desing or accident, e.g., the starter pinion gear. Saved me a lot of money.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
....I guess sometimes it's good to have a weak link in the chain,...
FWIW the rocker arms in early 911 engines are cast iron. As a result they are very brittle. So if a timing chain tensioner fails and the pistons start hitting valves, the cast iron rocker arms snap like twigs and generally protect the pistons from being holed, etc. BTW a 911 engine will run pretty well on only one bank after the appropriate rocker arms snap on the other bank. Don't ask me how I know

Funf Dreisg

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 12-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
The pics will be interesting even if they are not the best quality.

By "cylender hydro'ed from bad injector" I assume you mean that the cylinder filled with diesel and basically the piston could not travel to the full height due to the fluid's incomprehensibility. That would surely bend the rod and it seems the crank as well. But I'd worry about damage to the head too (e.g. valves, cam, etc.). So.... I'd be sure when they say a "new engine" they are NOT talking about a short block but a full engine -- including the head.

As for extending the warranty.... my concern would be about other parts that may have taken additional strain. From your earlier description of when the knocking stared, that seems unlikely. But I'd be sure to think through exactly what you (or your wife) heard or felt that could suggest damage other than to the engine.

Funf Dreisig

By "incomprehensibility" I assume you mean "incompressibilty"?

PS I agree with the concern about the other parts. I forget if your engine seized up while you were moving, but if it did I would be concerned about the stress on your tranny, diff's, CV joints, etc.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
By "incomprehensibility" I assume you mean "incompressibilty"? ...
No. I just find diesels incomprehensible

Dang spell checkers. When are they going to figure out what I meant, not what I mistyped?

Funf Dreisig
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Dang spell checkers. When are they going to figure out what I meant, not what I mistyped?

Funf Dreisig
I've seen a few similar mistakes in newspapers, where it is obvious the spell checker substituted the wrong word for a misspelling.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
gonzo, glad you got a new engine! Too bad you had to go through that but at least it was resolved. A new engine (hopefully a nice crate motor) should not affect any future resale in a meaningful way, in fact it may well enhance the value. Keep all your paperwork, but of course you knew that. Let us know how it turned out when you get the car back.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 35d
hi ho. picked up vehcle 22 dec (2 days after promised). Almost no fuel in tank (warranty job or what). Only one comeback due to unplugged AIT sensor but tow fitting and plastic transmission tool missing (promised they would be replaced). Not a crate motor but a long block. warranty is 2 years, unlimited milage on parts replaced. I am very tired of this. Vehilce is great but if thats the service I will get for the next 4 years. ... Seriously thinking of dumping it for a ML350. Everone I talk to raves about the local MB service and has to spit after talking about Birchwood BMW....and they also ask if I am serious about a diesel, why didnt I just go staight for the 3-pointed star right from the start? Make it better, sombody (inaudible sobbing).
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
gonzo, glad you are back in service. Hold their feet to the fire about the missing stuff! You are probably right about the ML if you have any further problems down the road. Everyone I know that has the MB diesel raves about them, but not about the need to have their service department fill the urea tank! In the meantime however enjoy all that power and the performance from your Bimmer!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OP, sorry to hear. No lemon laws in Canada? If so, make sure you know your rights and act to protect them and do what you need to exercise them as applicable. For example, in may US states, 30 days at the dealer and you notify BMW and then file the claim...

Good luck

A