Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 535xiT
Do you realize...

That if people would stop buying these fugly GTs we could perhaps get this beauty over here...my wagon is aging and I'm dreading my options some day. Hate to go away from BMW but there is no way in hell I'm buying an X or a GT. I keep trying to like the GT but every time I look at it, it gets worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-12-24 at 9.57.37 AM.png
Views:	163
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	259597  
98 Jeep Wrangler
11 Honda Odyssey
Ads by Google
Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
That if people would stop buying these fugly GTs we could perhaps get this beauty over here...my wagon is aging and I'm dreading my options some day. Hate to go away from BMW but there is no way in hell I'm buying an X or a GT. I keep trying to like the GT but every time I look at it, it gets worse.
To each its own.
I happen to like the look of the GT, the more I look at, the better it looks.
I also like the uniqueness of the car. And it also has road presence, and not as plain looking as the F10. With its 7 series room and chassis at 5 series price, it is a great bargain.

In addition, posting your bashing of the GT in a dedicated GT forum is really unwarranted!
It's like going to your friend's wedding, and telling the bridegroom that you think the bride is really ugly .... and every time you look at her, it gets worse ....

I am glad that the GT is selling quite well, and achieves BMW sales target.

Last edited by nosnoop; 12-24-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:20 PM

It looks like the GT has one inch more headroom and one inch more shoulder room; not sure about the legroom; cargo space cannot be more than the 5 wagon looking at that sloped trunk area. Apologies for the bashing, but after returning from Europe, I'm just a little dismayed at what BMW offers us in NA. Most of the people who would buy the 5 wagon, especially in a manual, are BMW purists loyal to the brand. We are left out in the cold so BMW can cater more to the bigger is better crowd. It's a little frustrating. I bet if BMW sold an X7 that offered an extra 6 inches of legroom and width for our super sized population that it would sell well in the U.S., even if it got 10 mpg less than the X5. If BMW had advertised the 5 wagon like they have with the GT they would have sold many more units and I'd be able to buy one! Instead, I'll probably be headed to an A6 but will be forced to buy an automatic. Ugh.
98 Jeep Wrangler
11 Honda Odyssey

Last edited by bbal; 12-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
It looks like the GT has one inch more headroom and one inch more shoulder room; not sure about the legroom; cargo space cannot be more than the 5 wagon looking at that sloped trunk area. Apologies for the bashing, but after returning from Europe, I'm just a little dismayed at what BMW offers us in NA. Most of the people who would buy the 5 wagon, especially in a manual, are BMW purists loyal to the brand. We are left out in the cold so BMW can cater more to the bigger is better crowd. It's a little frustrating. I bet if BMW sold an X7 that offered an extra 6 inches of legroom and width for our super sized population that it would sell well in the U.S., even if it got 10 mpg less than the X5. If BMW had advertised the 5 wagon like they have with the GT they would have sold many more units and I'd be able to buy one! Instead, I'll probably be headed to an A6 but will be forced to buy an automatic. Ugh.
I'll admit that the F11 is a nice looking car much better looking than the e60 wagon, buut as I am sure may others on this forum feel, I am quite satisfied with the GT. I too have have owned many BMW's in the past -and in addition to BMW NA - consider myself a loyalist. Perhaps if more of the former e60 wagons sold in the US, BMW would have offered the F11 here. I think there is room for both because the GT is more 7 Series with a hatch, than an
F10 5 series wagon anyway. Just my 2 cents:
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
I understand your frustration - thank you for the apology. I owned a 2001 525it and I was very pleased with its classic styling and balanced performance, I drove it over 100,000 miles. I think your 535ixt is a really cool car - the total package in terms of performance, styling, and versatile function. The six speed is especially appealing to me and must make your car very rare. In short - I shared your perspective, and I never even contemplated purchasing a GT until a couple of weeks ago after a circuitous path of discovery. I was retiring my much beloved 335i vert because I need more space. I will not bore you with all the permutations but I found my self back at the Porsche store (having owned a couple of Porsches including a 911 Turbo) shopping Panameras. I had never seen a BMW GT in the wild. Indeed, in my mind a 550i GT was just a bloated overweight five series. Out of curiosity, I visited a BMW store that had a 550i GT and the rest is history.

In the flesh I was struck by the 550i GT's forceful athletic sense of prowess. The key to appreciating the car is understanding that the car is not a 5 series but really a 7 series with an attitude. The 550i really is a Grand Touring car that seamlessly blends high performance and functionality. After actually seeing the car, I considered the styling very appealing, and much better than a Panamera. The styling is a strong statement that boldly showcases BMW styling cues, and to BMW's credit is not anonymous. Key to appreciating a 550i GT is understanding it on its own terms. I strongly suggest driving a 550i GT with sport pack and 20-inch wheels - you will be surprised by the effortless deep reservoir of power, the compliant but engaging ride, supreme comfort and surprising functionality. The 550i GT should be called a 750i GT.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	550i GT Christmas Day 2010 700.jpg
Views:	2377
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	259877  

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM

I'll try to keep an open mind when it comes time. If I can ever see one in KC I'll take a look again. My dealer told me they have sold 2 to date; I saw one of them right after it was released. I do love the storage of the wagon. Any idea how it compares? Can't find any specs on the BMW website regarding cargo space.
98 Jeep Wrangler
11 Honda Odyssey
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li AH
Svanil nice write up. I just got out of a 20o9 750 and got a gt by accident really and after driving 2 750s, 535, and x5 I have to say I like this the best. Great driving feel all around. Not sure why 750 does not feel as nimble as this csr
Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
I'll try to keep an open mind when it comes time. If I can ever see one in KC I'll take a look again. My dealer told me they have sold 2 to date; I saw one of them right after it was released. I do love the storage of the wagon. Any idea how it compares? Can't find any specs on the BMW website regarding cargo space.
My guess - they are about the same - the GT has a taller roof which is really nice for taller items but sacrifices a measure of functionality to the styling of the coupe roof line. (My German shepherd is more comfortable with the higher ceiling height of the GT over the lower headliner of the wagon which was perpetually covered with fur). The GT being based on the 7 series is wider than your 5 series which further adds to the sense of spaciousness. Passenger accommodations are much more generous in the GT especially in the back seat. I might add - I find it cool to be driving a vehicle that few know or understand - just like your 535ixt. From a guy who loves wagons to a guy that loves wagons - drive the 550i GT.

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-27-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh111 View Post
Svanil nice write up. I just got out of a 20o9 750 and got a gt by accident really and after driving 2 750s, 535, and x5 I have to say I like this the best. Great driving feel all around. Not sure why 750 does not feel as nimble as this csr
Thanks. We come to the 550i GT from two different perspectives - your experience is in 7 series - my experience is mainly in sport/GT cars -somehow the GT strikes a responsive chord in each of us.....interesting....I think BMW market research should take notice. As regards the 550i being more nimble...I believe the wheel base is a little shorter in the GT. The suspension while being very compliant was tuned to be more responsive as evidenced by its GT's skid pad number of .85. Just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised that sport and sport plus are tuned more aggressively in the 550i GT v. the 7 series. The 550i GT is more robustly athletic and youthful while the 7 series emphasizes luxury.

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
Thanks. We come to the 550i GT from two different perspectives - your experience is in 7 series - my experience is mainly in sport/GT cars -somehow the GT strikes a responsive chord in each of us.....interesting....I think BMW market research should take notice. As regards the 550i being more nimble...I believe the wheel base is a little shorter in the GT. The suspension while being very compliant was tuned to be more responsive as evidenced by its GT's skid pad number of .85. Just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised that sport and sport plus are tuned more aggressively in the 550i GT v. the 7 series. The 550i GT is more robustly athletic and youthful while the 7 series emphasizes luxury.
Actually the short wheel base F01 7 Series an F07 5 Series GT share the same wheel base at 120.9 inches. For comparison the F10 5 Series sedan wheelbase is 116.9inches.

BTW: There is only "one" other car in BMW's entire line up that has more rear leg room than the GT.....the LWB F02 7 Series. I put a "full size" Quinny Buzz 4 stroller in the back(north/south orientation) with the left side rear seat down. I moved the right seat forward an inch or so, and placed a 20 x 10.5 inch rim with a tire (from my G37) mounted, behind a full size Recaro Car seat. Remember the rear seats move fore and aft, and recline in the GT. You can play around with the rear configuration to make it work for you. Of course you won't be able to transport a full size dresser in the rear, but there is useable space
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 12-29-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Actually the short wheel base F01 7 Series an F07 5 Series GT share the same wheel base at 120.9 inches. For comparison the F10 5 Series sedan wheelbase is 116.9inches.

BTW: There is only "one" other car in BMW's entire line up that has more rear leg room than the GT.....the LWB F02 7 Series. I put a "full size" Quinny Buzz 4 stroller in the back(north/south orientation) with the left side rear seat down. I moved the right seat forward an inch or so, and placed a 20 x 10.5 inch rim with a tire (from my G37) mounted, behind a full size Recaro Car seat. Remember the rear seats move fore and aft, and recline in the GT. You can play around with the rear configuration to make it work for you. Of course you won't be able to transport a full size dresser in the rear, but there is useable space
Yep - you are correct - guess I shooting form the hip and not checking facts. I have limited
time behind the wheel of the 7 series but my impression is that th GT is more nimble.
Amazing that a car that has a cargo capacity of 60 cu.-ft., and is so comfortable, can be so much fun!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
I just had a discussion with my wife a few days ago. My wife actually said that GT has grown on her. The best thing is that the rear leg room is ample in GT. 5 touring leg room is same as regular 5 series which is shorter. We went down to DC over the weekend. It felt great to sitting in the back.

She said she would choose leg room over a little more cargo room. She said we just have to learn how to pick efficiently. Here, I am urging BMW to bring over diesel in the very near future. I love to get my hands on 535dxi

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)