Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 AM
wwfcblue wwfcblue is offline
Registered User
Location: London, England
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: Golf TSi GT
Bigger X3. Who are BMW trying to kid this time!

The new X3 has an interior width of 146cm, exactly the same interior width as my Golf and some 3cm less wide than a RAV4 for instance.

The X5 has an interior width of 154cm.

Poor packaging again from BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
hasselboxster hasselboxster is offline
Registered User
Location: Buffalo, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: Boxster, Cayenne S
i sat in the '11 X3 today - sat in the back. it's huge. honestly one can't justify going with the X5 for interior space, alone.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
HT417's Avatar
HT417 HT417 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oberpfalz, Germany
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 704
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Unless you're looking for 7 seats and want to stay with BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
TopHatTom TopHatTom is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselboxster View Post
i sat in the '11 X3 today - sat in the back. it's huge. honestly one can't justify going with the X5 for interior space, alone.
If you are 6' or taller - you are going to be really uncomfortable trying to drive the new X3. I loved the test drive and my wife really wanted it - but the center console is absolutely huge and being 6'5" tall means there is no comfortable way to drive the car. If you are taller than 6', X5 is only choice. I wish I could have bought the more fuel efficient and more car-like X3 (test drove the 35i), but I just don't fit. In the X3, the center console seems to actually come outward meaning your knee has to be further to the left than the actual accelerator pedal - just not something that is physically comfortable for tall people.

I am really curious to see if there are mechanical reasons for making the center console so huge on the new X3. Maybe something about the compact SUV format that requires use of that space? Note that the Audi Q5 and Lexus RX have exact same issue so BMW X3 isn't alone in this huge center console issue.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM
BMWfanatic87's Avatar
BMWfanatic87 BMWfanatic87 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Raleigh
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 419
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHatTom View Post
If you are 6' or taller - you are going to be really uncomfortable trying to drive the new X3. I loved the test drive and my wife really wanted it - but the center console is absolutely huge and being 6'5" tall means there is no comfortable way to drive the car. If you are taller than 6', X5 is only choice. I wish I could have bought the more fuel efficient and more car-like X3 (test drove the 35i), but I just don't fit. In the X3, the center console seems to actually come outward meaning your knee has to be further to the left than the actual accelerator pedal - just not something that is physically comfortable for tall people.

I am really curious to see if there are mechanical reasons for making the center console so huge on the new X3. Maybe something about the compact SUV format that requires use of that space? Note that the Audi Q5 and Lexus RX have exact same issue so BMW X3 isn't alone in this huge center console issue.
I have to disagree on the height part. I'm 6' 4" and I am extremely comfortable in the old and new X3.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Nevada Cinnamon Brown ~ Multi-contour seats ~ Dark Bamboo wood trim ~~ Sport Activity w/ 20" 214 RF ~~ Premium ~~ BMW apps ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams



Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
TopHatTom TopHatTom is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
I have to disagree on the height part. I'm 6' 4" and I am extremely comfortable in the old and new X3.
So it doesn't bother you on long drives to have the center console pressing against your right leg? Even with seats all the way back you still have the center console pushing into your leg space. At least with the X5, you sit a bit higher so the center console hits you at a lower part of your leg or not at all if you find a comfortable spot. I couldn't find any comfortable position in the X3. I find it hard to believe the new X3 doesn't bother someone 6'4" - you have to admit it is at least in your space? Good for you if you are comfortable - but I'd recommend anyone over 6' tall take it for a very long drive before making the purchase decision. During the first 10 minutes of my test drive I was so excited about the power I looked past it - but after that it started becoming painfully uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms