Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 88 735i
4hp22 tranny problems

Hello every one im new here and hope i can find some help with my trans.
it started with it slipping when i would pull out into trafic under moderate gas. now in park it in gear and when i put in revers same thing rpms drop as if its in gear but when i drive it works fine shift in all gears and i can put in neutral rev. it up to about 3500 rpm and it jumps in gear but when parked and in neutral it goes into first gear mind you that in park and revers the rpms dRop as if in gear but will not move.......its gitting old having to push it out of the drive can any one please help.............
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 06:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
fluid level and condition have been verified as in spec?? if so, it looks like repair time. there are lots of tips and tricks in these repairs, and i seem to remember this being a common failure in the trans.

df
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM

hey thanks for the reply. yes fluids all check out but now its working in all gears but slipping im beginning to think the ecu is going bad
Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i don't believe the trans slipping is related to the module, unless for whatever reason the module is telling the solenoid not to apply, or something. usually it's rlated to low fluid level, or worn components if the fluid is properly filled.

a restricted filter could cause lower than needed mainline pressure, which could lower the apply, or circuit line pressure, as well, but is usually accompanied by very dirty fluid.

df
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

i thought the same thing but fluid is not burnt nor is it low im stumped.....the ecm can cause it not to work properly the thing is no codes are coming up..i have a spare ecu im going to try it in the morning its worth a shot i guess.....