Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 2002 teething problems

hi all i got my first x5 last week, the yellow engine light came on all of a sudden seems to be running ok , can i get some aivice ! also the self level suspension has become inactive

going garage tomorrow for check wat is up!
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger1045 View Post
hi all i got my first x5 last week, the yellow engine light came on all of a sudden seems to be running ok , can i get some aivice ! also the self level suspension has become inactive

going garage tomorrow for check wat is up!
Regarding the SEL you'll need to get the codes read and then post them before we can offer any meaningful advice. As for the suspension you'll need to provide more information on that as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger1045 View Post
hi all i got my first x5 last week, !
So you just bought a used, 8 year old X5 last week and ..surprise- problems?? Should we assume you did not have a qualified mechanic do a thorough pre-purchase inspection? Do you have any maintenace history? How many miles on the car?

+1 on "get the codes read"... there can be hundreds of things that turn on the CEL/SES light.

The suspension issue can be $$$$... do a search and you'll see it can be involved. Without a computer to query the modules, you cannot really troubleshoot this well.

GL

A
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 probs

full service history with 73000 miles. getting codes read tomorrow, the yellow engine light came on all of a sudden
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5 4.4i
hey ard

give the guy a break. even though it checks out, things come up sometimes. i had mine inspected at north shore BMW in vancouver, and guess what, they said everything was great...well two weeks later it needed wheel bearings, left front axle, battery, brake sensors, ballasts....you name it, it needed it....so give him a brake...it doesn't always pan out
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandere53 View Post
give the guy a break. even though it checks out, things come up sometimes. i had mine inspected at north shore BMW in vancouver, and guess what, they said everything was great...well two weeks later it needed wheel bearings, left front axle, battery, brake sensors, ballasts....you name it, it needed it....so give him a brake...it doesn't always pan out
I only bring it up- some say like a broken record- so that others may learn...

While I agree that 'stuff comes up', doing a PPI will reduce the chances.... just because you were defrauded by a 'defective PPI' at a dealership that just collected $200 and probably did nothing, does not mean you shouldn't do a PPI.... I'll bet you learned how dealers hide behind the fact that without written checklists and definitions for PPIs, they really have no responsibilities when they miss stuff. (I always recommend the CPO inspection checklist in writing and add a DME dump.)

Hope he posts back his codes and we can help him out.

A
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
CPO checklist is a joke! I had 13 trip to the dealer after purchasing a CPO to have things fixed that they missed. Not to mention a set of new tires and a battery I paid for as I was sick of the nearly daily commute to Hartford CT dealership in the X5 and then returning home in a Toyota Camry only to do the reverse a few days later and collect the X5. Any PPI is only as good as the guy who performs it. It was clear to me that I did a better PPI than the dealership as many of the items I mentioned pre-sale had to be pointed out again when I went to collect the vehicle.