Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: USA
Wood Dash and center console panels

Well, got my new ride yesterday (yes, pictures have been posted in another thread, LOL) and there is an issue where they managed to scratch all of the wood dash panels somehow and need to replace them. I was just curious how involved the replacement is, so I have an idea of what else they could potentially damage while replacing that I should look for. Especially on the center console cover and the dash (around the climate control settings).
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Try waxing and polishing it yourself first. Just like you'd wax and polish the exterior of the car. That might remove if they are fine scratches. 2 coats. One a wax, then a second coat with a polish.

I avoided having slightly scratched panels replaced by waxing and polishing.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Try waxing and polishing it yourself first. Just like you'd wax and polish the exterior of the car. That might remove if they are fine scratches. 2 coats. One a wax, then a second coat with a polish.

I avoided having slightly scratched panels replaced by waxing and polishing.
Thanks for the advise, I will try that..
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
..and as they always say. "test in a small area first."

I used Meguires wax and polish and applied with a very soft cotton rag. You may need to apply more than one coat of each for desired results.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Mixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Well, got my new ride yesterday (yes, pictures have been posted in another thread, LOL) and there is an issue where they managed to scratch all of the wood dash panels somehow and need to replace them. I was just curious how involved the replacement is, so I have an idea of what else they could potentially damage while replacing that I should look for. Especially on the center console cover and the dash (around the climate control settings).
If after having tried BlueZ4AZs suggestion, and by chance still not satisfied, keep in mind it's not that difficult to replace them. They have little plastic pry sticks they slip between the panels and pop them out. They are held in with small spring like retainers.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 AM

The dealer agreed to just replace all dash panels (the anthracite ones) at no charge since the car was delivered withbthe damage there. So I'm just gonna let them do that.