Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Second Impression - Test Drove the 35 X3

Ok today I spent some time with the new X3 35. Some Basic bullet points since I only drove it for 30 minutes or so. This had all the fixin's except the dynamic drive control.
  • The drive itself was very smooth and comfortable, expecially considering these have RFT's which are usually a bone jarring ride. It was smoother than my current 08 X3
  • The handling although quick did not have the same "Connected" feeling I have with my 08 X3. It felt very much like the M class X5 I drove several months ago.
  • Speed, the dam things a rocket and I would say faster than any of the BMW's I have driven to this day, including a 535 and M class X5.
  • Shifting, I really wanted to find a flaw, but if my 07 X3 had shifted this smoothly up and down the gear range (including sport mode) I would not have gotten my current 08 MT
  • Ergonomics and Room, all very nice and easy to adapt to. I still don't know why people have such a hard time with the "idrive". To me that tells me that shouldn't be driving a car since they can't handle quick intuitive situations.
  • Fit and finish, also very nice. I like the "piping" stitching in the leather. Gives a much better look. And the seats are very comfortable.
  • Sound system, a big dissappointment as expected. No real bottom end. Lots of thumpy mid-bass but very sloppy in its delivery. The highs seem like they are being played through medical gauze. Not clear or crisp. And finally the controls are horrible. The volume knob on the console is so small I had to stop and look for it. I kept reaching for the climate contol knobs.

Overall impression is this is much faster, smoother, and upscale than my current 08 X3, but is it more fun? I am not so sure. There is a certain sterility to the drive that would require me having to drive one with the "Sport" mode. I have not driven that yet.

Would I buy one if someone offered me a good price on mine and was offered a good price on it..yes. Would I stand in line for one and pay MSRP, not a chance.

So the verdict is still out, but it's definitely not a "Gotta Have It" vehicle, but it would be nice.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-06-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
[*]Sound system, a big dissappointment as expected. No real bottom end. Lots of thumpy mid-bass but very sloppy in its delivery. The highs seem like they are being played through medical gauze. Not clear or crisp. And finally the controls are horrible. The volume knob on the console is so small I had to stop and look for it. I kept reaching for the climate contol knobs.
Did it have the standard or premium sound system?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Premium. First thing I asked before I oriented myself to the idrive. I brought a disc that was recorded in wav lossless compression with a top of the line 128 channel recording console from work. I also played hd radio (I set up the processing on this station when I was their Chief Engineer 5 years ago, so I know how it is supposed to sound) bear in mind as a result I am hyper critical so I had the gsm sit in my car after sitting in the new x3. He blinked and said I should talk to the engineers at BMW. However, you can easily improve the whole thing and NOT remove the HU. So if I buy one it will be with stock sound system and then upgrade it. I must admit the thing I expected to be rough was not. The ride---- and that was purposely hitting some potholes. One thing is for certain I would definitely pick this over the Audi Q5

Sent from my DROIDX
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-06-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
However, you can easily improve the whole thing and NOT remove the HU. So if I buy one it will be withstock sound system and then upgrade it.
What would you do to improve the system?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
That's too bad about the stereo, I was hoping it would be the same Logic system as in my '07 335i, which sounds awesome, and where people always comment how good the stereo sounds.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Stock Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
What would you do to improve the system?
After-market car stereo mfg are starting to realize that car mfg are making the HU so integrated into the vehicle that fewer and fewer folks are buying new HU. A lot of them are now building a little "magic" box that will go in line to the sound system. It basically bypasses the car mfg amp and goes in between the amp and the speakers. Most are about the size of a large GPS unit so they can be hidden away in the rear left panel. They also have EQ and frequency adjustments that will allow you to alter the sound internally and add amps and other fun toys that when coupled with better after market speakers will sound MUCH better than what BMW offers for their premium sound system and cost a whole lot less.

They average about $125 - $500 depending on how much you want to tweak.

So no cutting or even removing the HU.

The vehicle will look completely stock for all purposes, but not sound as bad.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.