Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: x5 E53
3.0d Sport - poor fuel consumption

Hi Folks, just registered and hoping some of you gurus might be able to advise.

Recently bought a 56 plate 3.0 sport, 79k, fsh and I had it serviced ( inspection 2 ) a month ago.
The car drives superbly but I am concerned about the fuel consumption, I am only getting 20 -21 mpg, this is based on actual fuel usage from a full tank against miles travelled and refill figure, hence I know its accurate.

My journeys are mainly 5 miles on dual carriageway at 70mph ten 3 miles in town(ish) driving to work etc so pretty mixed.

I seem to be miles off the official figures and wondered if anyone can point to common problems that can cause increased consumption. I have tried all the additives etc to clean the fuel system to no avail.

One thing suggested to me is the fact the car is running on 22" wheels, been told this could cause possibly 5-8 mpg a difference ???

Any thought gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Rob
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Monkey Wrencher

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport 5spd
What's the official stats on MPGs? It could definitely be causing it. Increased contact patch = increased friction/drag. What brand & type of tyre are you running? Weight of each tyre? Tread design plays a lot into it as well as something seemingly minor as tyre pressure (which is probably the 2nd biggest factor in MPG). What type of wheels? What does each one weigh? How about what's the difference in weight from the stock wheels? By increasing the size of the wheels you naturally increase the weight of the wheels and the tyres. You're also increasing the contact patch. This overall increases the rolling resistance of your wheel/tyre setup and "unsprung weight." With no additional increase in power in the vehicle, you are now requiring the vehicle to put forth more effort in getting you moving. This is one of the fundamentals of achieving peak MPG (least effort to move forward). So by increasing effort to move the vehicle, you are burning more gas.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Hi, Megliam

I must admit Iím in a similar position. Purchased a 55 plate X5 3.0d Sport in June 10, 60K FSH, basically to pull a caravan, but thatís another story. If I choose my routes I can average just above 30mpg, and I agree the computer reads about 10% high. However,
my journey to work is 7 miles, which is 1.5 miles B road and the rest A road, not dissimilar to yours. If I drive like a vicar (45mph), with the gearbox in manual (6th gear at 35mph) I canít get 30mpg (computer). My previous caravan lugging machine a V70 D5, 50+ mpg easy! So Iím not surprised that from a cold start ( & boy has it been cold! ), over 8 miles, travelling up to 70mph youíre in the very low 20ís.

Which brings me to my second reason for buying the X5, I needed more motivation to cycle to work. The logic was less mpg, more incentive to get on my bike.

My third reason to buy, was that I quite like to car, and this is the real problem. 12 months ago sub 30mpg was unthinkable, it wasnít going to happen. Now, I view 25mph as not too bad at all!

Have you heard of the Auxiliary heating function? Well mine came fitted with it, and guess what? Auxiliary heating allows you to turn on a preheating system to warm the car up before your arrive, remote control & timer activated. This means you can burn even more diesel without moving! This has had some use recently!

So, to get more mpg out of your X5, up buy a bike and use it to commute to work. Whatís more as you get fitter, you can extend your route to work and save even more money!

Iím not too sure tyre size will have much of impact. Cold start, short journey, auto gearbox, 3L engine, 2 tons +.

Enjoy!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: E53 3.0d
i have a 2005 3.0d auto and use 9 litres per 100 km, determined by actual calculations not the on board computer, i have 19 inch wheels 255,s on the front and 285,s on the rear

i drive 48km to and 48 km from work each day, mostly crawling in peak hour conditions, 50% a/c on

unless you are driving with your right foot constantly buried in the carpet your economy seem poor
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM

I agree consumption in excess of 9l/100Km(~30mpg, imperial) may seem poor, however when the typical journey is 12km, which includes a cold start, I donít think thereís a comparison. To put things into prospective, when you say ďcrawlingĒ, how long does your 48Km journey take? Engine start to engine stop?

Pedro.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: E53 3.0d
my journey takes anywhere between 50 minutes to 1 hour and 10 each way

i typical get around 850 to 900 km between refills, i usually refill when i get to an indicated 150 km left in the tank.

i have noticed however that when doing interstate driving i can get well over 1000 km out of the tank ( still allowing for my 150 km margin)

hope this is of some help
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks BigWave, yes that probably helps.

I typically get 500 miles + per tank, (800Km), perhaps with less than 50miles ( 80Km) remaining. The average comes up because I do longer trips than the one to work.

I reckon given the right conditions I could get over 600 miles, (965Km).

By the sounds of your journey I would say your journey is more conducive to higher mpg than mine.

So do I think I could cruise on the interstate and get 622 miles (1000km) from a tank? Yeah.

Conclusion, short journeys, big engine, 4x4, heavy car = poor fuel consumption.

Enjoy!

Pedro.