Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35I
Z4 35I 2010 - problem with Retractable Hard Top

Hello, I just got my Z on Nov 11th, 2010 35I. After 3 days of ownership, I was going for a ride and the top would not fully go up. I immediately drove the car to the BMW dealership. They determined this to be a sticking convertible top hydraulic valve. Further diagnosis found that the motor was operating but would not move rear roof shell from atop of the front roof shell. They found that the valve was sticking internally and not allowing fluid to pressurize the pistons. Since the valve does not come separately they had to replace the entire convertible top actuating motor assembly. It was working when I brought it home and hopefully the issue will not happen again.

I was told this was a unique problem and was told by two BMW dealerships that they had never seen that before.

I was viewing previous posts and found one other issue raised on a problem with the retractable hard top.

I hope this is not systemic. Has anyone else had issues?

I owned an SLK32 and a MX5 - both with retractable hard tops and never had such a problem.

Thanks for listening.
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Sorry to hear that happened to you with such a new car. I don't remember any posts on this site with that problem, let's hope that it is rare. I'd be interested to know what the cost of the fix would be when the car is out of warranty.

Enjoy your new car!

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM

You must have gotten a great deal on your Z4. Roadster sales can't be good for BMW dealers in Illinois this time of year!

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Yes, it was an awesome deal that I simply could not pass up. I went to Germany and toured the BMW plant in Leipzig and then visited BMW Werk in Munich. I saw the new model Z4 and fell in love. What was stopping me from buying before is that I like retractable hard tops over cloth.

Funny thing is - I got home from vacation and set my sights on buying one. I got home on 10-29 and purchased on Nov 11th. I figured I'd get a better deal cause it was the start of winter.

Problem now is - I had to store it for the winter and won't see it again till April. That makes me sad.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
funny thing is - i got home from vacation and set my sights on buying one. I got home on 10-29 and purchased on nov 11th. I figured i'd get a better deal cause it was the start of winter.

Problem now is - i had to store it for the winter and won't see it again till april. That makes me sad.

I decided in May that I was going to buy a Z4 and seriously considered European delivery, the problem was that I wouldn't have had time in my schedule to pick it up until late September. Waiting for it to be shipped back meant that I wouldn't have had the car until around Christmas this year. I ended up ordering the car on May 24th and took delivery July 16th.
I've had lots of good top-down driving between then and now. Even now that it's gotten cold, with the windscreen and heated seats it's really comfortable with the top down on sunny days. (By the way, yes I do understand that "cold" in California is different than "cold" in the midwest and in the east.)

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Thanks for sharing this with us. Hydraulic cylinders unfortunately are very sensitive, the slightest amount of dirt in the oil is enough to create such a problem. Glad for you that the dealer was close by and you got help. Let's hope it does not happen again

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ View Post
Yes, it was an awesome deal that I simply could not pass up. I went to Germany and toured the BMW plant in Leipzig and then visited BMW Werk in Munich. I saw the new model Z4 and fell in love. What was stopping me from buying before is that I like retractable hard tops over cloth.

Funny thing is - I got home from vacation and set my sights on buying one. I got home on 10-29 and purchased on Nov 11th. I figured I'd get a better deal cause it was the start of winter.

Problem now is - I had to store it for the winter and won't see it again till April. That makes me sad.
You are just slightly west of Chicago, do you get that much snow? Yo are also a bi further south then I am. I drive mine in the winter when the roads are dry. I hate to lock my toy away for the winter, it just not fair

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Did you drive to dealership with roof not completely seated? Wasn't sure that was possible (either not completely up or down)

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center)
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

I was able to put the top down so that is what I did. I froze all the way to the dealership Though when I got there, they kept playing with it and eventually it would not go all the way down. The mechanic was able to drive it to his bay in the shop.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i / 2011 Z4 35is
I have to ask, which dealership have you used? I've had some issues with a couple out here in the burbs and am looking for a recommendation for my next purchase.

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

2011 Mini Cooper S - Hot Chocolate

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

The service was done by Bill Jacob's in Naperville. Service was good. But I actually bought my car at BMW of Peoria. They were awesome! I would buy my next BMW from them.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Feel The Magic

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 SDrive35i
BlueZ,

I had a problem with mine also shortly after buying. Had to cancel a nice road trip (vacation) the wife and I had planned, to the Big Easy, really bumbed us out waiting for a year and then then 2 days before we were to leave..... off to the dealer. If there is a bright side to it at least I didn't get 1000 miles from home and have it happen. The dealer also found out when they were working on the top and had the car sitting and running that it started over heating big time! They found the factory forgot to hook something up when assembling my car!

Last edited by Level 88; 12-19-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
The mechanical part of the top is nearly identical to that of the E92 3 series convertible, if you want to see if there are more documented cases of said failure, that'd be the place(s) I look.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 2011 3.0 Sdrive
Hardtop Problem Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ View Post
Hello, I just got my Z on Nov 11th, 2010 35I. After 3 days of ownership, I was going for a ride and the top would not fully go up. I immediately drove the car to the BMW dealership. They determined this to be a sticking convertible top hydraulic valve. Further diagnosis found that the motor was operating but would not move rear roof shell from atop of the front roof shell. They found that the valve was sticking internally and not allowing fluid to pressurize the pistons. Since the valve does not come separately they had to replace the entire convertible top actuating motor assembly. It was working when I brought it home and hopefully the issue will not happen again.

I was told this was a unique problem and was told by two BMW dealerships that they had never seen that before.

I was viewing previous posts and found one other issue raised on a problem with the retractable hard top.

I hope this is not systemic. Has anyone else had issues?

I owned an SLK32 and a MX5 - both with retractable hard tops and never had such a problem.

Thanks for listening.
I have experienced the same problem you experienced. I have visited my BMW dealership 3 times and they haven't solved the problem, because the said is a programming issue, but with your previous experience I'm sure I have the same problem as yours, and I'm going to take this forum to BMW dealership to assure that they are going to replace the mechanism.

I want to know if the problem was fixed finally and you haven't experienced any other issue with the hardtop retractable system.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM

Talking Retractable Hard Top problem

Let's just say it was working when I brought it home. The car has been in storage now since after Thanksgiving. I'll find out the real deal come spring I suppose. I'll keep everyone posted with updates come April or May.