Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Gulp... Baby seats

Does anyone have an opinion about baby seats for the f10? My goose may be cooked if i cant fit something in the back. The previous post talked about fold down rear seats which i passed on. Does anyone have brands that fit well?

Help!

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
I am in the booster seat years so maybe this isn't yet relevant for your situation, but my Britax Frontier 85 fits pretty well. It is a pretty big seat and it fits without needing to remove the headrest.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about baby seats for the f10? My goose may be cooked if i cant fit something in the back. The previous post talked about fold down rear seats which i passed on. Does anyone have brands that fit well?

Help!
The britax runs really tall but is one of the best rated child seat. I swapped with my wife who has the maxi cosi that runs quite a bit lower and can be reclined.

here's the one we have

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Priori-Co.../dp/B0034ZUC74
Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
SFBimmer

Send a message via AIM to brott
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
No kids here....however we do have two grandsons ages one and three which we adore!!!

We have a Britax Boulevard and use the Sunshine Kids Ultra Mat to protect the seats (used this combo on our E60 since 2008 and never had a problem)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Seat Only R.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	261831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Seat R.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	261832  
2002 530i Jet Black/Black, SP (Retired)
2003 330ci Titanium Silver/Black SP (Retired)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I have had a Britax Marathon in there on a few occasions. It fits great if you remove the headrest...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I have had a Britax Marathon in there on a few occasions. It fits great if you remove the headrest...
Same here, have it in there as a spare. Also had to remove the headrests.

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Good thread....also, what do people put down on their seats to protect the leather 1. From the kiddo and 2. From the base/seat imprinting the leather?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
SFBimmer

Send a message via AIM to brott
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive Canuck View Post
Good thread....also, what do people put down on their seats to protect the leather 1. From the kiddo and 2. From the base/seat imprinting the leather?
Sunshine Kids Ultra Mat http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-.../dp/B001P0739A
2002 530i Jet Black/Black, SP (Retired)
2003 330ci Titanium Silver/Black SP (Retired)
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
We have a Britax Boulevard and a Britax Frontier 85, both of which fit in the back. The Frontier requires the headrest to be removed, while the other is fine with it. Currently I have the Boulevard in the F10, and the Frontier in the SUV.

For the protection of the leather, I use Prince Lionheart products. They have a discontinued model, which is great, if you can find that one, just purchase it. But it was discontinued couple years back, and the one that replaced it is not too bad either. We have both, but the F10 uses the discontinued one, which works perfectly well especially on protecting soft leather.

And remember to use a seat back protector for the front seats, saving them from the scuff marks of those little cute shoes
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Pics with the Britax Boulevard in there.

Here is how the Boulevard looks in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02307.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	261840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02311.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	261841  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
And remember to use a seat back protector for the front seats, saving them from the scuff marks of those little cute shoes [/QUOTE]

Where do you find the seat back protector? Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
We have the throne of all seats...the Britax regent. They are huge but fits easily with the headrests removed which was easy once someone read the manual and informed that you need to pull forward to get them out. I still don't like that the tether anchor is so close to the backrest, it makes the triangle fixture that Britax uses too wide for a truly secure fit.

Last edited by solstice; 01-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Is it impossible to fit a seat in the middle? A booster seat that is..
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
Is it impossible to fit a seat in the middle? A booster seat that is..
Not at all true. That's where I fit out baby seat so that the two teenagers seat on the window side. And to be quite honest the middle is the best place for a baby seat on this car. Asides from safety considerations, it also leaves enough room for two more passengers to ride comfortably on each side.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk_pilot View Post
Not at all true. That's where I fit out baby seat so that the two teenagers seat on the window side. And to be quite honest the middle is the best place for a baby seat on this car. Asides from safety considerations, it also leaves enough room for two more passengers to ride comfortably on each side.
Excellent! What brand/model of car seat are you using in the center?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Its similar to this one but a bit bigger. The trick here is to get the seat without the bulky arm rest or cup holders in it. 2-3 year olds don't use them anyways.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-.../dp/B000G7YM06
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Its similar to this one but a bit bigger. The trick here is to get the seat without the bulky arm rest or cup holders in it. 2-3 year olds don't use them anyways.
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamigs View Post
We have a Britax Boulevard and a Britax Frontier 85, both of which fit in the back. The Frontier requires the headrest to be removed, while the other is fine with it. Currently I have the Boulevard in the F10, and the Frontier in the SUV.

For the protection of the leather, I use Prince Lionheart products. They have a discontinued model, which is great, if you can find that one, just purchase it. But it was discontinued couple years back, and the one that replaced it is not too bad either. We have both, but the F10 uses the discontinued one, which works perfectly well especially on protecting soft leather.

And remember to use a seat back protector for the front seats, saving them from the scuff marks of those little cute shoes
I have used the Prince Lionheart protectors for 4 years now. I just switched out my Britax Boulevard for a Britax Parkway SG and while the seat was heavily indented, it popped back after about 2 days with nary a mark on the leather.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Here is how the Boulevard looks in there.
Is that snugged all the way down, or just put in? It does not look like you've got the seat ratcheted down tight enough. Your cushion should be heavily indented from the seat pressing into it.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post

Help!
What type of seat, forward or rear facing?

Also, the fold down seats are only useful for making it easier to take the rear headrests out which 1) is still possible without them and 2) may not be an issue depending on your seat.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPapa View Post
Where do you find the seat back protector? Thanks[/QUOTE]

You can find them at any store that sells car seats. I just have one that straps around and is like a lightweight canvas / heavy nylon.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brott View Post
No kids here....however we do have two grandsons ages one and three which we adore!!!

We have a Britax Boulevard and use the Sunshine Kids Ultra Mat to protect the seats (used this combo on our E60 since 2008 and never had a problem)
This seat is improperly installed.

The base should fit flat against the seat. Right now, you've only got the front edge sitting against the seat. This is not a good thing.

Also, with the exception of a single layer of towel or a protective mat designed to be placed between the child seat and the vehicle's seat, you shouldn't have anything nearly as thick as what you have placed behind there.

Third, your seat is not tightened down enough. If it were, you would see the child seat pressing into the vehicle's seat cushion a LOT more than it is.

I don't mean to be harsh, just trying to keep your grandkids safe!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
The Sunshine Kids seats are great....if you can get them to fit! They way they are designed they are VERY tricky to get installed properly. Read reviews on them online and you will be shocked. Even professionally certified installers have trouble getting them to properly anchor. I had a Radian 85 and after much ado got it to sit properly. However, my wife did not like the lack of side support (this was the older version) and we exchanged it for another Boulevard.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM

No problem. Most likely the pictures are misleading you. There is nothing between the car seat and the seat other than the protector and the installation was done by professionals (ranked #1 in the state) and double checked by the local fire department. So it is safe so far.
I am saying so far because eventually I will take it off and I hope I can get their help to put it back in at that time.
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
No problem. Most likely the pictures are misleading you. There is nothing between the car seat and the seat other than the protector and the installation was done by professionals (ranked #1 in the state) and double checked by the local fire department. So it is safe so far.
I am saying so far because eventually I will take it off and I hope I can get their help to put it back in at that time.
Thanks.
Sounds good. It is tough to view in that picutre, but I would have expected the cushion to be really compressed.