Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
SFBimmer

Send a message via AIM to brott
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
This seat is improperly installed.

The base should fit flat against the seat. Right now, you've only got the front edge sitting against the seat. This is not a good thing.

Also, with the exception of a single layer of towel or a protective mat designed to be placed between the child seat and the vehicle's seat, you shouldn't have anything nearly as thick as what you have placed behind there.

Third, your seat is not tightened down enough. If it were, you would see the child seat pressing into the vehicle's seat cushion a LOT more than it is.

I don't mean to be harsh, just trying to keep your grandkids safe!
Needsdecaf.....no problem and agreed and my bad as I had just transferred from our Escalade to the F10 and did not take the time to remove the headrest and "properly" secure the car seat.

We won't see our 3 year old grandson till this weekend so was just being lazy till I had more time.

Also I only use the Sunshine Kids Ultra Mat and nothing else between car seat and seat.

Cheers!
2002 530i Jet Black/Black, SP (Retired)
2003 330ci Titanium Silver/Black SP (Retired)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brott View Post
Needsdecaf.....no problem and agreed and my bad as I had just transferred from our Escalade to the F10 and did not take the time to remove the headrest and "properly" secure the car seat.

We won't see our 3 year old grandson till this weekend so was just being lazy till I had more time.

Also I only use the Sunshine Kids Ultra Mat and nothing else between car seat and seat.

Cheers!
No problem.

Sorry if I come across as a safety nut, I am not, with the exception of this area. I have seen too many people "install" child seats improperly not realizing what harm it can do in an accident. I was talking to a parent in my son's class this weekend and he told me he had been hit broadside with his two kids in the car and the car ended up barrel rolling 7 times before coming to rest on it's roof. The kids were fine, hanging by their car seats.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM
SFBimmer

Quote:
No problem.

Sorry if I come across as a safety nut, I am not, with the exception of this area. I have seen too many people "install" child seats improperly not realizing what harm it can do in an accident. I was talking to a parent in my son's class this weekend and he told me he had been hit broadside with his two kids in the car and the car ended up barrel rolling 7 times before coming to rest on it's roof. The kids were fine, hanging by their car seats.
Wowsa.....and agree 1000%.....you can never be too safe!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: F10 523i, Ferrari 328
I'm curious, do US market cars get ISOFIX mounting points for baby seats or is it a Europe only thing? With ISOFIX the baby seats are properly locked into recessed mounting points rather than using the seatbelt but a pain in the backside to remove if you need to fit adults in the back.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
SFBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleApart View Post
I'm curious, do US market cars get ISOFIX mounting points for baby seats or is it a Europe only thing? With ISOFIX the baby seats are properly locked into recessed mounting points rather than using the seatbelt but a pain in the backside to remove if you need to fit adults in the back.
Yes for the US and ISOFIX

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...es/isofix.html
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
We have LATCH in the US. It is roughly the same, but slightly different.

Main difference in the connectors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isofix
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
We have LATCH in the US. It is roughly the same, but slightly different.

Main difference in the connectors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isofix
i guess i should have been more specific. i am having a baby in June. i think i will be needing a convertible seat or one of those seats that has the base which stays. as you can tell, i am a newbie, first kid..

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
i guess i should have been more specific. i am having a baby in June. i think i will be needing a convertible seat or one of those seats that has the base which stays. as you can tell, i am a newbie, first kid..
Well, there are advantages to both. I'll give you kind of a synopsis:

Detachable base seat. Selling point: versatility. You can buy one seat, two bases. The seat can snap into a variety of strollers, and you can take the seat out of the car with the kid in it. Very handy. We have taken / do take our kids everywhere in it. Throw it in a shopping cart, throw it in a booth at the restaurant, etc. If you have a fixed-base convertible seat, you cannot do this.

Fixed base convertible: selling point: longevity. You need one seat for each car. Trust me, you are not swapping the seat from car to car. But it can be used from birth until about 4.5 to 5 years old, if so desired. You can then go right to a BPS (belt positioning booster) and save yourself some dough. Otherwise you need to buy two fixed base seats AND a detachable base seat. Another con with this seat is that rearward facing, it's about as big as you can get.

For me, since you only have one kid, I'd buy a tote-around detachable seat like the Graco Safe Seat or Snug ride, or another system like that. I have the Safe seat and would not buy it again only as it is a tad on the wide side. But I won't ever be buying one again so that's neither here nor there. When we had one kid, we had it installed in the middle rear, so that it fit between the two front seats. That way it won't impact front seat legroom. Right now, we cannot use our Volvo as we have the rear-facing seat behind the passenger seat, and there is no legroom in front...and this is a WAGON.

With the multi-contour seats, you may be in better luck if you decide to install behind one of the seats, as you can tilt the top forward.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:

Detachable base seat. Selling point: versatility. You can buy one seat, two bases. The seat can snap into a variety of strollers, and you can take the seat out of the car with the kid in it. Very handy. We have taken / do take our kids everywhere in it. Throw it in a shopping cart, throw it in a booth at the restaurant, etc. If you have a fixed-base convertible seat, you cannot do this.

Fixed base convertible: selling point: longevity. You need one seat for each car. Trust me, you are not swapping the seat from car to car. But it can be used from birth until about 4.5 to 5 years old, if so desired. You can then go right to a BPS (belt positioning booster) and save yourself some dough. Otherwise you need to buy two fixed base seats AND a detachable base seat. Another con with this seat is that rearward facing, it's about as big as you can get.

For me, since you only have one kid, I'd buy a tote-around detachable seat like the Graco Safe Seat or Snug ride, or another system like that. I have the Safe seat and would not buy it again only as it is a tad on the wide side. But I won't ever be buying one again so that's neither here nor there. When we had one kid, we had it installed in the middle rear, so that it fit between the two front seats. That way it won't impact front seat legroom. Right now, we cannot use our Volvo as we have the rear-facing seat behind the passenger seat, and there is no legroom in front...and this is a WAGON.

With the multi-contour seats, you may be in better luck if you decide to install behind one of the seats, as you can tilt the top forward.
thank you, this is a great response. as my wife is tiny, i'm not sure we will need to put the detachable in the middle of the car.

thanks again.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I'd recommend the middle of the car to keep the baby as far from potential crumble zones and glass as possible. We have a Peg Perego with detachable base and a stroller that the seat snaps into. It's convenient but the kid quickly outgrows it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
1st off - Congrats!!

like needsdecaf says, buy different bases for different cars. You don't want to wake them up to take them out of the car since sleep is important! 2nd is reverse facing car seats for infants might bump up against the back of the seat if you are tall. It's much easier if it's in the middle from my experience (at least that I can remember from the lack of sleep!)

The peg perego's are nice. You definitely want to buy one that's comfortable to carry but the base not too big.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Good thread...we originally had a graco infant seat and 2 bases, one for each car. When the baby got older (now 14 mos.) we went to a safety 1st convertible seat. It fits no problem behind the passenger seat (with comfort seats). On another note, we love the BMW rear seat protector underneath the seat. It protects the whole seat and footwell from the baby. I also have a dog who rarely goes in the bimmer but it works great for him as well. It has access spots for seat belts/dog harness and to get to the latch anchors. It is pricey, but the perfect fit is totally worth it to us. The kid and dog never even sniff the rear seat leather!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
SFBimmer

Quote:

Cheers!
Picking up one of our Grandson tomorrow.....headrest removed and car seat properly secured

(If we knew grandkids were so much fun we would have had them first )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Seat r.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	262223  
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 AM

LOL, my dad says the same thing.

That's a great seat, my son loved being in it until just recently.

Keep 'em safe!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Just FYI. We have a Peg Perego 30/30 infant seat that we were using in the middle of our 2011 550i.

The base is wide enough that it interferes with the ability to buckle the left and right rear seat belts - it mostly covers the little slots that the buckle receptacles sit in.

I tried pulling on the receptacles to see if they come out of their slots - it didn't seem like they did. Does anyone know if they come out at all? If not, I'd take a look at the bases of the models you are comparing to make sure you don't get one that's too wide.

We've since switched to a convertible car seat since our daughter was outgrowing the seat, anyway.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:

ok, let me make sure that i understood it correctly - F10 specific.

Prerequisite : Prince Lionheart Seat Saver

1) Age 0 to 1
While in the car : Infant Car Seat Base + Infant Car Seat (Graco SnugRide etc)
While shopping : Stroller + Infant Car Seat

2) Age 1 to 7
While in the car : New Booster Seat (Britax Boulevard etc)
While shopping : Old Stroller

Am i right, Needs?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
We reused the car seat we got from Mercedes for our E class we had. It's called Mercedes Duo Plus but it's actually made by Britax for Mercedes. It is a European Model. It is a convertible car seat that fits up to 70 lbs. I like how it is compact and not too high.

My wife's X5 has the Britax Frontier 85.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	342295  

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
ok, let me make sure that i understood it correctly - F10 specific.

Prerequisite : Prince Lionheart Seat Saver

1) Age 0 to 1
While in the car : Infant Car Seat Base + Infant Car Seat (Graco SnugRide etc)
While shopping : Stroller + Infant Car Seat

2) Age 1 to 7
While in the car : New Booster Seat (Britax Boulevard etc)
While shopping : Old Stroller

Am i right, Needs?
You got it!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You got it!
passed the viva voce!

woohoo!!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi M Sport
I went gulp about 6.5 months back...Britax ADVOCATE 70-G3 fits in back. I put it in the rear passanger seat...It is a little tight on the leg room up front. I also put a seat protector under it.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM
M Power Enthusiast

Mein Auto: '12 F10 535i M-Sport
I use both the Recaro ProSport and Recaro Vivo in the F10 with great results. I do also use the Prince Lionheart seat saver with the Prosport as well.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM

OK, this Ohio rule is confusing me.

1. If your child is under 1 year and under 20 pounds, he must be in a rear-facing child seat.

- Understood. Infant Car Seat Base + Infant Car Seat

2. If your child is at least 1 and weighs more than 20 pounds, he can ride in a forward-facing seat until he grows out of that seat.

whats this? is there anyway i can club 1 into 2 or 2 into 3? if not, what exactly is this intermediate seat between Infant Car seat and Booster Seat.

3. If your child weighs over 40 pounds, he must ride in a booster seat - until he is 8 years old, or is at least 4'9" tall.

- Understood.