Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Mine got the first engine light on in early July (purchased on begining of June), and then the second time last week. Both time, at different dealer, I was told that was a software error and what they did was just updating the software.

I didn't ask for the error code, but does anyone know if my car had some mechanical problem, like the throttle of pinhole in vapor line, would it take two months to make the engine light on again?

Thanks.

Jack

Last edited by jshi76; 10-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshi76 View Post
Mine got the first engine light on in early July (purchased on begging of June), and then the second time last week. Both time, at different dealer, I was told that was a software error and what they did was just updating the software.

I didn't ask for the error code, but does anyone know if my car had some mechanical problem, like the throttle of pinhole in vapor line, would it take two months to make the engine light on again?

Thanks.

Jack
Impossible question. Get the codes or otherwise just throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer network.

Any particular motor, or just any old X5?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
The smoke test is for the evap system as David stated. There is also a self test for the DMTL (Diagnostic module for Tank Leakage) that should have been run, depending on if the fault code was related to the evap system. If they received fault 2A15 (DMTL superfine leak) or 2A16 (DMTL major leak), then this test module should have been run. Smoke testing is only done if the DMTL test proves inconclusive, that is, if the leak is so small that the DMTL self test cannot pick it up (referred to as a micro leak). The DMTL is a pump that works on amperage. It pressurizes the evap system, and based on what amperage rise or drop the DME sees, it can determine the severity of the leak, if any.

Of course, a check engine light does not mean there is necessarily a problem with your evap system. As stated before, it could literally be hundreds of things. I'm not sure which engine you have on your X5, but if you have the N52, then there is a good chance that you have a leak in your evap system, or the DMTL pump itself is faulty.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Impossible question. Get the codes or otherwise just throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer network.

Any particular motor, or just any old X5?
OK, thanks for the advice. Mine is the 2011 model 35i premium.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
The smoke test is for the evap system as David stated. There is also a self test for the DMTL (Diagnostic module for Tank Leakage) that should have been run, depending on if the fault code was related to the evap system. If they received fault 2A15 (DMTL superfine leak) or 2A16 (DMTL major leak), then this test module should have been run. Smoke testing is only done if the DMTL test proves inconclusive, that is, if the leak is so small that the DMTL self test cannot pick it up (referred to as a micro leak). The DMTL is a pump that works on amperage. It pressurizes the evap system, and based on what amperage rise or drop the DME sees, it can determine the severity of the leak, if any.

Of course, a check engine light does not mean there is necessarily a problem with your evap system. As stated before, it could literally be hundreds of things. I'm not sure which engine you have on your X5, but if you have the N52, then there is a good chance that you have a leak in your evap system, or the DMTL pump itself is faulty.
Thank you for the detail info. Mine is the 2011 model 35i. I will check with the tech person to see if he can give me the error code. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 2011
response to ard: questions. Yes i went to the MBW Dealer's Service Center, 100 percent BMW Service station.
They gave me the code as FC3227. And yes they gave me this in writing on their 2 page "invoice" stating clearly that this problem is a repreat problem in under 170 miles of life of the vehicle, and they acknowkedge that they have a known issue with the DMTL system in the DME which is under investigation and a fix is coming once root cause is determined and a solution is created. They also wrote "Software update is needed but BMW has not come out with it yet". They would call me once that is available, sometime soon.

This morning, I tried to discover something myself. Only the left exhaust has hot air coming out of it, but nothing from the right exhaust. Is this normal and does the right exhaust only function when the twin part of the twin-turbo engine begins to engage? If everyone else's X5's are letting hot air from both exhausts in neutral/park position then I might have discovered something. I am probably wrong. If "hot air" doesnt mean much, touching the tail-pipe after running the X5 for a while, shows the left one hot but right one as cold as the water in my swimming pool.

Last edited by markcars; 10-04-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
I've checked out other 2011 x5s at dealers and they are all same.
As far as I'm concerned, the right side tail pipe is just a facade and not functioning at all!
How dumb???
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopyung View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the right side tail pipe is just a facade and not functioning at all!
How dumb???

I believe there is a butterfly valve in the exhaust system such that only one "tail pipe" is used at certain times, e.g., warm-up, idle and low speeds. This is a feature, not a flaw.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
That butterfly valve must not be working at all then.
I tested cold, warmed up and full throttle... and there is no exhaust coming out of that side.
Besides, the pipe inside is super clean ( no carbon buildup at all after driving 4000 miles ) whileas it is is pitch black inside the tip of the left side muffler.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
How dumb???
that maybe possible! Back in 2003, Dinan has introduce their new free flow exhaust for E46 M3. The exhaust has 4x pipe’s to match the oem looks and position. but only 2 is functional. Others 2 is just for dummy. They claim 2 exhaust pipes flow is better than 4 at that time.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That butterfly valve must not be working at all then.
I tested cold, warmed up and full throttle... and there is no exhaust coming out of that side.
Besides, the pipe inside is super clean ( no carbon buildup at all after driving 4000 miles ) whileas it is is pitch black inside the tip of the left side muffler.
FWIW, my 2010 Diesel has similar carbon build-up on both exhaust pipes.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Please define "checked out". Did you look at one up on a lift? Or roll under one on a dolly? Either of those approaches would have easily told you whether or not the right exhaust tip was actually connected to a muffler, a tail pipe, a cat, a crossover pipe and a header. (With the way BMWNA is pinching pennies by decontenting stuff that used to be standard - base stereo, luggage cover and spare tire compartment support come immediately to mind - do you really think they would spend the $$$ on faux pipes and muffler?

Or is it just so much simpler to claim you "checked this out", without actually doing so?

Quote:
How dumb???
Couldn't agree more.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 I35 X5, 550 i M
Just got new 2011 X5 i35 premium for my wife, after driving 300 miles check engine light came on low emission error. Took it to dealer after day and a half they found issue with gas tank pressure pump which was replaced, now two weeks later same check engine light came on with same error. Once again BMW proven to have quality cars, I was thinking to get myself 2011 550 xi in September but will have to reconsider it. This is just inconvenient and shocking that this is happening to brand new cars don't they test them before moving them for sale? I guess that is what you get building cars in US or Canada big effing disappointment.

Last edited by alex47; 12-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: X5
My 2011 X5d CEL light came on last week at 4500miles. I am scheduled to take it into service next weds. We'll see. I'm just worried since it sounds like owners are getting different issues and it's not consistent with one another.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie njneer View Post
I'm just worried since it sounds like owners are getting different issues and it's not consistent with one another.
Why does this aspect "worry" you???

Would it be less worrisome if it was the same issue?

The issue is owners who know carp about cars thinking "I got a CEL, I'll post it all in single thread that has "CEL" in the title...that way we can make a useless thread stretching 3 months and 50 posts without any commonality...

Remember: GET THE CODES FROM THE DEALERSHIP. (Unless you really don't want to find out what was wrong with the car)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
The issue is owners who know carp about cars thinking "I got a CEL, I'll post it all in single thread that has "CEL" in the title...that way we can make a useless thread stretching 3 months and 50 posts without any commonality...
Yeah, saying you've got a CEL is a bit like saying you've got a meeting at work... it just means "we've got something we need to talk about." The meeting could be something as innocent as "we've got a new expense form for to use," or as bad as "the company is closing down." Same thing with a CEL.

\
Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
I thought that I was the unlucky one! WOW!
What is going on with BMW ..ultimate dri......?

I had only the following items replaced on my new 2011 X5 35i in 4 months 1900 miles of ownership:

CIC and controller ( the navigation system and input dial.)
New center console trim and wood trim
Heated Steering Wheel
Braking system Bleed with DSC
DSC speed sensor replacement on the rear
Parking Brake Reset
a new Battery (dont know if brake regeneration is still working or not)
Total systems Coding twice.

My pervious 2008 X5 had none of these problems but only the rear windshield kept detaching / pealing away from rear hatch.
So I thought it is better to get a newer one with turbo and really hoped that the rear would not fall off of the new one.
I guess now I only have to worry about bottom falling out of 35i.

Shame on BMW!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Soon
You should change the title of this thread to "If you are waiting for your X5 to arrive, don't read this." Seriosly, you're making me want to back out.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
Joy is knowing your BMW will be in the shop a few hours every month! But seriously, when I signed on the dotted line, I also accepted the possibility of having to come in a few times to fix things. The truth is after a year and 14K, I have had fewer issues with my '10 x5 than I have had with Hondas and Toyotas I have owned in the past. And in four years scheduled maintenance is going to be free as well. OK I may need to bring it in for a fix or two and I am OK with that. Joy is worth the hassle!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
Joy is knowing your BMW will be in the shop a few hours every month! ... Joy is worth the hassle!
My 2004 Chrysler Pacifica has been virtually flawless for 6.5 years. Doesn't make you want to go out and buy one though, does it?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Something really bothers me....

On the one hand, getting jerked around by an uncaring or incompetent dealer is always a major annoyance and is inexcusable...but a few minor issues that get fixed in fairly short order should not be the end of the world for most rational owners, no?

I have a E39M5 with 135,000 miles and it has been pretty reliable- I *DO* tend to be proactive with maintenance, but miles just pile up without issue. The X5 has had two issues in 22k miles- one the intake temp thing, the second a CD player/amp issue that is being fixed this week.... but such events do not lead me to declare 'reliability is horrible'... I guess I am too forgiving since I know that S happens. Perhaps more S than other marques? We don't really know of course. And at the end of the day it is your own personal threshold for what you'll tolerate.

Damnit... just got a call, company meeting coming up.

A
Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
GoPoint

Has anyone else tried this app for an Iphone? It is pretty effective at telling you why your CEL is on along with other vehicle information.

http://gopointtech.com/blog/products...FU1-5QodBBm2nw
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbx5d View Post
Has anyone else tried this app for an Iphone? It is pretty effective at telling you why your CEL is on along with other vehicle information.

http://gopointtech.com/blog/products...FU1-5QodBBm2nw
Interesting product.

I have a BMW specific scanner for the E39 (Peake R5/FCX) and will buy a Peake for the X5 diesel when it is released.

BMW has "BMW specific codes" than generic readers will not properly interpret/decode

I also have a generic reader, that works for any compliant OBD car, And a porsche specific computer interface that reads codes and does data monitoring and some programming.

Beware- this company might not even realize BMW has unique codes....
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium
My 2011 X5 CEL came on at ~200 miles. I brought to the dealer who said he found a problem and fixed it. After driving it for about 1 week it came on again. Back to the dealer, left it there several days getting a loaner. This time it was supposed to be tested out with the remote assistance of a BMW engineer. Verdict: It can't be fixed, so BMW built another X5 exactly like this defective one. I touched base with a Lemon Law Lawyer who said he'd take my case, at no cost to me by making BMW pay all of his fees. I find myself constantly look at the control panel anticipating a return visit by the CEL in my replacement X5.

Last edited by Rottieman; 01-12-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: omitted a word
Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottieman View Post
My 2011 X5 CEL came on at ~200 miles. I brought to the dealer who said he found a problem and fixed it. After driving it for about 1 week it came on again. Back to the dealer, left it there several days getting a loaner. This time it was supposed to be tested out with the remote assistance of a BMW engineer. Verdict: It can't be fixed, so BMW built another X5 exactly like this defective one. I touched base with a Lemon Law Lawyer who said he'd take my case, at no cost to me by making BMW pay all of his fees. I find myself constantly look at the control panel anticipating a return visit by the CEL in my replacement X5.
Why in the world do you need a lawyer? You certainly make it sound like BMW is replacing your car, and giving you a free loaner while you wait. Presumably your payments for the new X5 will be unchanged from your current X5. How could you possibly improve on that customer service experience?

Unless I am missing something in your post, it sure sounds to me like BMW is doing right by you, but you are slapping them in the face, anyway.

I mean, how much pain and suffering doyou think you incurred in 200 miles? And I am sure BMW would just let you walk away from the car if you didn't want to be "constantly look(ing) at the control panel" in your brand new one.

Fail.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic