Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M3 E46 CONVERTIBLE
Just bought an m3, need some answers! !

Hello.
I recently bought an Bmw M3 2003 Convertible from U.K and imported to Sweden.

I went to the controll-department today(to get Swedish registration papers and plates)
But they sayed I needed to change/fix theese thing before I get plates and papers;

Headlights (Because in England the lights have a curve to the left and in Europe and USA they have the curve to the right... So they sayed I needed to change the headlights, my question is, do I need to change the whole headlights or just the trimming inside?
And if I need to change, where should I buy? Can I sell my old one in the U.K?
Should I buy Angel eyes, buy original xenon or cheap crap?
I went to the BMW dealer in Sweden and the headlights cost 3500$, is that a good or bad price?

They also sayed that I need to fix so that the both rear fog lights work or just the left, and not the right like the m3 is right now (probably normal in the U.K?)
Somebody know how to make both fog lights work behind or change the side so the left side work?

The last thing I needed to fix was some kind of a plastic under the car close to the right tire (left tire in Europe and USA).
The plastic was attached to some kind of a sensor that automaticly adjust the headlights when you turn the car on...
I ordered it from BMW dealer in Sweden, cost about 50$.
The plastic was attached from the sensor to the front axle..
They thing marked with red is the part I was thinking of. Is it easy to replace ?

Sorry for sounding like a amateur.
Thanks for answers.

My last question is where can I find the product on the last picture?
What is the name of the item? What is the price and what is the cover for? Is it easy to put on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	261751   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	261752  
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dujanen View Post
Hello.
I recently bought an Bmw M3 2003 Convertible from U.K and imported to Sweden.

I went to the controll-department today(to get Swedish registration papers and plates)
But they sayed I needed to change/fix theese thing before I get plates and papers;

Headlights (Because in England the lights have a curve to the left and in Europe and USA they have the curve to the right... So they sayed I needed to change the headlights, my question is, do I need to change the whole headlights or just the trimming inside?
And if I need to change, where should I buy? Can I sell my old one in the U.K?
Should I buy Angel eyes, buy original xenon or cheap crap?
I went to the BMW dealer in Sweden and the headlights cost 3500$, is that a good or bad price?

They also sayed that I need to fix so that the both rear fog lights work or just the left, and not the right like the m3 is right now (probably normal in the U.K?)
Somebody know how to make both fog lights work behind or change the side so the left side work?

The last thing I needed to fix was some kind of a plastic under the car close to the right tire (left tire in Europe and USA).
The plastic was attached to some kind of a sensor that automaticly adjust the headlights when you turn the car on...
I ordered it from BMW dealer in Sweden, cost about 50$.
The plastic was attached from the sensor to the front axle..
They thing marked with red is the part I was thinking of. Is it easy to replace ?

Sorry for sounding like a amateur.
Thanks for answers.

My last question is where can I find the product on the last picture?
What is the name of the item? What is the price and what is the cover for? Is it easy to put on?
Headlights: If you're lucky, there's a switch or a lever somewhere that changes the orientation of the cutoff shield. If there isn't one, then you'll need to either get LHD headlight housings or modify the projector shield itself (you might be able to remove it and install it backwards... not sure). $3500 is quite a bit for a pair of headlights. If you can, try to find a totaled E46. Headlights from a non-M coupe built between 09/2001 and 02/2003, or from an M3 or sedan built after 09/2001 should fit fine. If you use sedan headlights, you'll have to swap the inner trim and outer lens before fitting them to your car.

Rear fog lights: Open the carpeting by the trunk lid and just run a wire from the rear fog on the right side to the rear fog on the left side. You may need to drop by the dealer to get a socket for the bulb. Shouldn't cost you much.

That piece isn't difficult to replace, but it's easier if you've got a friend. You'll need to grab the washer with a pair of pliers or something, and snap the cover onto the nozzle. You may need to remove the headlights and the trim if you're not able to grab onto the nozzle.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-11-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M3 E46 CONVERTIBLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Headlights: If you're lucky, there's a switch or a lever somewhere that changes the orientation of the cutoff shield. If there isn't one, then you'll need to either get LHD headlight housings or modify the projector shield itself (you might be able to remove it and install it backwards... not sure). $3500 is quite a bit for a pair of headlights. If you can, try to find a totaled E46. Headlights from a non-M coupe built between 09/2001 and 02/2003, or from an M3 or sedan built after 09/2001 should fit fine. If you use sedan headlights, you'll have to swap the inner trim and outer lens before fitting them to your car.

Rear fog lights: Open the carpeting by the trunk lid and just run a wire from the rear fog on the right side to the rear fog on the left side. You may need to drop by the dealer to get a socket for the bulb. Shouldn't cost you much.

That piece isn't difficult to replace, but it's easier if you've got a friend. You'll need to grab the washer with a pair of pliers or something, and snap the cover onto the nozzle. You may need to remove the headlights and the trim if you're not able to grab onto the nozzle.

Hello. Thanks for answers!

I have the headlights with two different level-switch things. See picture.. The one on the right side is to level the adjustment up and down for the lights (nr2 on the picture). I have tried the left level-switch(nr1 on the picture) and no respons, what is that switch for?
Do you think if I buy the housing I will get the curve to go to the right side just like the U.S and european cars?
What about the projector shield, do you think that part is the one making the light go as a curve on the left side?
I found some Angel Eyes on ebay for 400$, is that really bad quality? do you recommend buying those or is it better to buy OEM?

And do you know something about the plastic under the car? Its the plastic connected to the front axle i think. its the plastic Connected from the light adjuster sensor to axle i think... Is that hard to change?

I also found some OEM for 775$, I also found some headlights on ebay, 300$ for left side and 250$ for front side. But is it better for me to buy a pair from one person or 2pieces from 2 different persons...

Thanks for helping me out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	262257