Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35d Review

The AutoSpies.com user "rickpo" gives a run down on his 2011 BMW X5 35d.

My previous BMWs have been an E36M3 and E83 X3 3.0 sport. Now on the review... I've broken it by mostly options and features so here goes:

Base sound
If you were born on an island and only ate coconuts, you would think that coconuts are the tastiest, best food out there. That's how I feel about having the base sound package as I never had the opportunity to hear either sound packages. I don't find the base sound to be terrible. I do wish there were more adjustments on the frequencies instead of treble or bass only. I'm ready to buy the Bavarian Sound Works Stage I if it happens in the next three years :-)

Diesel
This is my first diesel car and all I can say is Wow! Diesel + SAV is a great combination. I get good gas mileage (about 22 city/hwy combined), gobs of torque, and towing capability. I realize that the price of diesel vs. premium petrol may offset any savings but I don't really care. I like the fuel efficiency and the throw-you-in-the-back torque. I do wish there was a mated 8 speed automatic but maybe next time.

I have a theory why BMW is discounting diesel models - it's because they are more fuel efficient and will increase BMW USA overall fuel efficiency as a car maker. Promoting higher gas mileage as a car maker is good for marketing and probably to the politicians, IMO.

iDrive
The third iteration of software or electronics always seems to be the sweet spot and the iDrive falls under this category. Although I've never owned iDrive 1.0 or 2.0, I did read a lot of reviews and the complaints were always the same. I really like the iDrive system and prefer it over a touch screen format. Touch screens have the obvious issue of dirty fingerprints on the screen. I also feel it is a greater distraction.....

Read the full review - http://www.autospies.com/news/2011-B...-Review-60516/

Read more news about the BMW X5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-X5-35d-AutoSpies-Review.jpg
Views:	17209
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	260956  
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I have a theory why BMW is discounting diesel models - it's because they are more fuel efficient and will increase BMW USA overall fuel efficiency as a car maker. Promoting higher gas mileage as a car maker is good for marketing and probably to the politicians, IMO.

I believe that (a) the automakers also get fined if they do not meet CAFE standards. and (b) they can carryforward or backwards MPG credits for three years.

So there is some economic consideration for BMW, even if they exceed the CAFE requirement, in booking credits which can be applied in the next three years, giving them more time to improve MPG to avoid fines in the future as standards become stricter.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
It's too bad they can't be monetized and sold.

If they could, maybe we'd get free comfort access.........

OK dream ended and I just woke up.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Sound familiar!

Hmmmm...why does this Autospies user "rickpo" seem so familiar to me...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=509073
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 PM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
Title is a bit misleading. This is certainly not as comprehensive a review as I had hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole