Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
Question Dsc Is It Really Effective?

Just wondering...
Is the DSC button the X5 really effective? Should I leave it on ALL the time when it rains/snows? Thanks....

Also...what the heck is this hill descent control?
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2003, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcinfinity
Just wondering...
Is the DSC button the X5 really effective? Should I leave it on ALL the time when it rains/snows? Thanks....

HDC slows the wheels and keeps them from slipping when going down an icy/snow covered hill. For me, it works incredible but I only use it to get down my driveway and on a steep hill at the ski mountain.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Old 11-10-2003, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcinfinity
Just wondering...

You're in LA what are you worrying about? what rain? what snow?

I've done some cornering with and without DSC, and so far, I find that the car works better with it on... Probably because it applies the brakes to maintain the line. The car understeers like no other even with the gas pedal all the way down.

However one thing DSC does that I'm not used to yet, is the fact that when I corner, I anticipate understeer and so I counter steer before it occurs (by turning in more)... And then when the DSC taps the brakes on the inside wheels, all of a sudden you see me in the inside lane. Now imagine that scenerio while doing 55mph on a freeway onramp