Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
X3 comes 10th in Auto Bild Snow Test

Uh, yeah, last place. It scored behind cars like the Audi Q5, Mini Countryman, Dacia Duster, and the Kia Sportage.

In the most recent test of various vehicles in the Tirolean Alps, the new X3 xDrive20d was mediocre in deep snow and overall snow capabilities. Auto Bild used a variety of measures such as deep snow, handling, traction, and on-road driving characteristics. There was also a test where the vehicles were given a start and they measured how far the vehicle could drive up a ski slope.

The X3 scored particularly poorly in starting-off and deep snow, and made poor headway on the uphill run. It was equipped with 17" Pirelli Sottozero RFT which is more of a performance snow tire and hindering maximum snow grip. However, the Mini Countryman (4th place) used the same tires and scored substantially better. Drivers criticised the 6MT and remarked that the 1st gear is too long, requiring giving a lot of gas and clutch slippage, pulling only from about 1800rpm.

On the plus side, the DSC and DTC modes are well-sorted out. The DTC mode is the best for performance driving in deep-snow as tested with the best slalom times and 0-50km/h acceleration distance. For most drivers, full DSC on works best and they said it doesn't hinder performance driving much.

That article has a handful of folks in Germany changing their orders from MT to AT for better control and fun in snow driving.

Someone on Motor-Talk was kind enough to scan and upload the article. It's quite big, about 28MB.

http://www.muk1.at/Pdf/SchneetestSUV.pdf

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 01-17-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Looks like we should all go out and get that Clubman, eh?

Doug
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
All vehicules should of had all the same tires to start with.........I wont rely on that test to buy my next SUV, that is for sure
Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
completely agree about the tire choice. Between the low end torque of the diesel and not starting in second gear, the test was rigged against the X3. In my experience Pirrelli snow tires suck. Plain and simple. They are geared for good performance on black top in low temps but lack the broad shoulders and siping for real snow driving. The Clubman does better with a less torquey engine even tho the tires were the same. Its all about low torque and proper gearing to get started. The 6MT in my E83 - coupled with extraordinarily good tires Nokian WR G2's -- are unstoppable in snow.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Well, if the complaint is that 1st gear is too long (not too short), how would starting in 2nd help matters at all? They had to seriously give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch a lot. Of course, a single article shouldn't dissuade anyone, but perhaps the new 8-speed AT isn't such a bad idea after all.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 01-17-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I wonder what tires the Kia Sorento had? Dacia Duster????? Ok, the Dacia Duster is a Romanian Car in the Renault/Nissan group that if it were to be sold in the US would be under the Nissan badge. Looks like it would be a direct competitor to the Rogue, but if they brought it in with a diesel it would be interesting. Not a bad looking car, but nothing special IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-17-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM

actually if I read the article correctly the best winter climber was the Suzuki Jimmy and it had Pirelli "snow sport" tires. I dont know what any of it means....

My E83 does just fine with 6MT and Nokes. YRMV
Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
actually if I read the article correctly the best winter climber was the Suzuki Jimmy and it had Pirelli "snow sport" tires. I dont know what any of it means....

My E83 does just fine with 6MT and Nokes. YRMV
For a daily driver like most of us, most AWD will do the job with good winter tires. I dont see the point climbing a mountain with my X3

My XDrive + Nokian studded Hakka5, is pure enjoyment in winter

Actually, there was a Volvo XC70(new model) beside me at a red light, he also had nokian tires. But when he left at the green light, the Volvo AWD system seemed to work very oddly, almost like it was a FWD, I was kinda surprised how weird it worked. I punched it, and left him in the snow....
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM

I'm sure she was impressed!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I'm sure she was impressed!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

I think most volvos are fwd biased and thats how the haldex system defaults. But when faced with front wheel spin power is shifted to the rear. An inherintly counterproductive arrangement if you ask me. As the vehicle starts rolling and unweights the front wheels, traction is lost and youre more likely to spin the wheels. with a rear-ward bias exactly the opposite occurs. Im not saying the rear bias is best for everything but for starting from a standstill it would seem that it is.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
I wonder what tires the Kia Sorento had? Dacia Duster????? Ok, the Dacia Duster is a Romanian Car in the Renault/Nissan group that if it were to be sold in the US would be under the Nissan badge. Looks like it would be a direct competitor to the Rogue, but if they brought it in with a diesel it would be interesting. Not a bad looking car, but nothing special IMHO.
The Kia Sorento had Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 (size P235/55R18) and the Dacia Duster had Michelin Latitude Alpin (size P215/65R16). The Suzuki had Pirelli SnowSport 190 tires: a performance snow tire, actually, almost identical to the ones I have on my X3 except I have a 210km/h speed rating versus 190km/h.

They did like the new AWD system in the Kia Sportage, one derived from Magna that works pretty well, better than that in its Hyundai and Kia Sorento siblings.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info. The Kia/Hyundai group remind me a lot of when Honda/Datsun(now Nissan)/Toyota first started out. No one paid any attention to them because the first cars were junk, well not really junk -- well built -- but not suitable for long distance US style driving. Then they kept getting better and better until now they are mainstream and generally lead the J.C> Power rankings. Now we see the Koreans heading that way. I have to get down and actually drive a couple of those just to see if the hype is really true. Anyway its nice to have competition, it does improve the breed!

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-18-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Thanks for the info. The Kia/Hyundai group remind me a lot of when Honda/Datsun(now Nissan)/Toyota first started out. No one paid any attention to them because the first cars were junk, well not really junk -- well built -- but not suitable for long distance US style driving. Then they kept getting better and better until now they are mainstream and generally lead the J.C> Power rankings. Now we see the Koreans heading that way. I have to get down and actually drive a couple of those just to see if the hype is really true. Anyway its nice to have competition, it does improve the breed!

Very true. I'd take a Hyundai over any Toyota.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post

Very true. I'd take a Hyundai over any Toyota.
Yep, same here!!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Well, if the complaint is that 1st gear is too long (not too short), how would starting in 2nd help matters at all? They had to seriously give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch a lot. Of course, a single article shouldn't dissuade anyone, but perhaps the new 8-speed AT isn't such a bad idea after all.
Yeah, I don't get it. A higher gear has always been better for low-traction starting: less chance to break the tires loose and spin.