Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 MCS and '10 535xiT
NE Auto Show report - X5 and X3 Impressions

Just got back from the New England Auto Show. I was quite surprised to see a X3 on display.

First the face-lifted X5. The car they had there was a 3.0 with 6-speed and sports package. I did not like the face-lift based on pictures, but I actually thought the car looked good in person. The new sport steering wheel also looks better in person. This is the same 3-spoke steering wheel in X3 pictures. The 6-speed shifter is short and light; it feels very good.

They did not let us sit in the X3, but the Herb Chambers salesman was eager to make a sale. He of course said they will have cars available for sale in 2 weeks, and doesn't know anything about pricing. (sad that we all know more than the salesman do) The side profile and the back of the car looks really good, but the front is just, well, weird. The transition from the hood to the grille is rounded and smooth; it looks like someone blunted its nose and squished the BMW trademark grille. The grille is black, but it is not a thin strip of plastic. It is more like a triangle - wider toward the engine. I do not like the front at all. As for the umpainted bumpers, I don't know what BMW is thinking. Look at the xActivity; it had painted bumpers and I personally think the xActivity looks much better. Unpainted bumpers belong to base trim CRVs. Even CRV owners complain about their unpainted bumpers.

They also had a new 5 there; it looks good in person. The show is on for another day; if you are in the area go check out the X5, X3, and 5 in person.
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2003, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: ??
Old 11-08-2003, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot

They did not let us sit in the X3, but the Herb Chambers salesman was eager to make a sale. He of course said they will have cars available for sale in 2 weeks

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___
sorry, didn't bring my camera...... :-(
I really wasn't expecting the X3 to be there though; I was quite surprised......
Old 11-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___
amen bro!
2001 740 Sport
2004 330 Convertible
2003 X3 (ED)
1998 323 Convertible

Old 11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog
amen bro!
... the same happened to me at the Miami Auto show, no pictures because I did not know that there were going to be any X3's on display. Sorry...

There were a couple of X3's on display, one (3.0) was for sitting and evaluation (Mistic Blue), the other one was in a turntable (Titanium Silver). I felt the same deep disappointment that I felt when I saw for the first time the new 5 Series. Definitely the new era of Bangle is joined by cheapness everywhere you touch and see. When for the same price you can have a Touareg, with its stunning interior and versatility, it is very difficult to justify all the unpainted and rough surfaces that this vehicle have.

The steering wheel design is unimaginative, the "aluminum golf ball" trim in the dash is out of place at this price range, the plastics are hard, the leather is rough, the exterior, with its unpainted plastics and terrible, busy front... wow, I tried really hard to like this thing but it was impossible for me. I just sat on it, looked around, got disgusted and walked away to the new 5 series to play with its iDrive.

There was more people around a convertible M3 (that killer combo of Carbon Black/Cinnamon) and even a ZHP 330i than playing with the X3. The new 5 and 7 were also in high demand. A new X5 was in a corner alone...

It is very clear now for me that I don't get, and I won't get, this new BMW era.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 AM

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I'll bring it up.

Did you guys notice the panoramic sunroof on the X5 that is in the TV commercial all week? You can check it out at www.bmwusa.com as well. The TV commercial says late availability......