Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
GO FLYERS!!!

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Will the clay bar remove oxidation spots from the chrome trim around the windows as well? I have tried seemingly EVERYTHING to get this off and it still looks like crap. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: soon to be '08 X5
Wash after clay?

Do I have to wash the car again after claying or can I just go ahead and apply AIO?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 98 328iC, 95 528i
I clayed my filthy Alpine White 328iC. It was amazing. I could see the puddles of brown as the clay dislodged the dirt, grime and rust into the bar and lubricant. The clay pulled all the rust specs in the lower panels behind the wheels and in the crevices next to the moldings. It really made the car 7 years younger. Now I have to polish with a rotary with Menzerna IP and finish with Menzerna Micro Polish and wax with NXT. It took me 5 hrs to clay the car but it brought new life to the paint.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
So a Few questions. How long does it take to clay a car (small one like an E93) ? And once done how much time do you have to get the polishing done ? And how long does the polishing take ? Where I am going with this is amd I better off doing like one small area like a roof and then polishing and completing it or say doing the clay the first weekend and then polishing the next weekend and then waxing the following .....
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i/2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarney View Post
So a Few questions. How long does it take to clay a car (small one like an E93) ? And once done how much time do you have to get the polishing done ? And how long does the polishing take ? Where I am going with this is amd I better off doing like one small area like a roof and then polishing and completing it or say doing the clay the first weekend and then polishing the next weekend and then waxing the following .....
That depends on how contaminated your paint is. If it's heavily contaminated it will take longer to clay.
I did a first clay on my 2003 530 and it took about an hour. Second wash then dried and drove into the garage for an application of P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser (1-hr), then a final coat of Meguiar's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax (1-hr).

So, I'd say between 3 - 4 hrs at a good pace on a warm day where the water and treatments dry quickly. Probably best to go slowly at first until you get a feel for the clay process.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarney View Post
I typically clay the entire car which takes 30 minutes or so depending on the condition of the paint. There is no set time limit to get the polishing done. However keep in mind that polishes tend to gum up and dry very quickly. So you'll need to a 2' x 2' section at a time ensuring you wipe away the polish after you've completed each section. In addition, polishing by hand is, for lack of a better description, POINTLESS. There is no way that you will produce the speed necessary to cut into the top layer of your clear coat. With that said you'll need a machine to assist you but this can also get confusing because most of the polishers sold at the parts stores and Walmart are also inadequate and again pointless. They typically have an rpm range of 3k-5k rpm and that just isn't good enough. You'll need to venture to your local Lowes or Home Depot and find yourself a dual action polisher (Porter Cable is the brand I use) what you're looking for is a polisher than produces around 12k rpm. This will provide the speed required to actually polish the surface. Polishing can be a lengthy process especially for a newbie but I suggest that you take it slow to start. I polish using a horizontal/vertical technique that has worked great for me. Basically in my 2' x 2' working section I start off by applying my polish to a light/medium foam polishing pad and before turning the machine on I dab the polish all over my working surface. Doing this will prevent splatter. I then start in a horizontal motion and go over the surface doing two passes. I then switch to a vertical movement and again do two passes. I then wipe away the polish and buff the surface. Then I move on to another section. Once the entire car has been polished you'll need to wax. Waxing generally takes me about 45 minutes. So to clay bar - polish - wax you're looking at a total time of 3-6 hours. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Miss January

Mein Auto: VW golf
Use Aardex snappy wax, and a clay bar. Keep spraying Ardex and use the claybar in a swirl motion. I professionally detail BMWs for a living
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
4th BMW

Mein Auto: 2002 540iT Sportwagon
Synthetic clay bar !!!

OK, I posted a responce to "waxes vs. 'sealers' on the E39 forum. I got long winded over some *Four Star Products* detailing products that I sounded like a pitch man. I am, not because I know their pitch man and master 'detailer' and chemist, but because I truly like the products and use some of them. Has anyone here tried their synthetic clay bar? It is a foam bar with one side coated with a rubbery synthetic stuff that pulls contaminants up from the paint like an organic clay bar. guess what? you drop the bar and don't throw it away! I just wipe it (usually on my leg) and keep on claying after my wash. I did use the Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax Plus as the lube and just wiped that off for a little protection kicker over the "Paint Guard Plus" sealer. This clay bar is truly trick. lasts a long time. I now use their spray on Water-less 'Wash' with *polycharger*. It has more polycharger (the stuff that adheres to the surface on a molecular basis) and no Carnuba which the Spray Wax Plus (poly) has some. so, it effectively leaves some more of that synthetic sealer on after claying (which I assume can remove a bit of sealant). I was advised that on a BLACK (sapphire metallic) 540iT Sportwagon like mine or similar dark color, that any Carnuba wax will just melt off in higher heat of sunlight on that surface pretty quick. I'll chime in later as I have just converted to the 'waterless wash'/ lube from the other. BTW, don't use anyone's 'water-less wash' products without washing your paint with soap and water first....or, you will probably just be adding to your scratch collection. Ask me how I know with 2 black cars. If anyone uses the synthetic clay bar, post your thoughts. Oh, the test is to put your hand in a plastic bag and run your finger tips over the paint after the water wash and then after clay baring to feel the difference in surface texture and results.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 328XI
Exclamation

Im pretty much sold on claying. The hood of my 2011 328XI has been thru a warzone of contaminents, scratches, oxidation, bird droppings, tar, etc. I've washed/waxed, and had it professionally detailed. Its no where close to the factory finish. I want to make it better than the factory finish.

Last edited by jhockey18aa; 11-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Clay baring your car is one of the most important steps of a paint decontamination process. But before you clay you must remove the LSP or other wax/sealants from the surface. Since this is a thread about clay baring I am not going to go into detail of the LSP removal process.

After removing the LSP, begin claying as the first thorough post #4 on page 1. Nice writeup Nick T.! It is key to use lots of lubricant. Not using enough lubricant will cause you to scratch, mar, and severely damage your clear coat. I recommend using ONR (Optimum No-Rinse). This product is excellent for multiple purposes (including washing during winter months or water restrictions). You can use this in any spray bottle and dilute it for many uses. I personally use a Kwazar bottle due to the dual spray ability (you squeeze, it sprays, you release, it sprays) and this really saves your hands if you do multiple cars a day or intend on doing an all-day (...and maybe night) detail.

There are different types of clays depending on the severity of the contamination. I keep several types floating around, all in their own clean containers and soaked in a quick detail spray. There was a product released earlier this year called NanoSkin AutoScrub that has greatly simplified the claying process. If you use traditional clays, make sure you cut yourself a smaller working piece at a time, and if it drops to the floor DISCARD IT! Clay is cheap, resprays are not. If you use the AutoScrub on your DA and it gets dirty, you can wash it off. The reason I bring up the AutoScrub is it has cut my times down to about 20 minutes per car. As a detail hobbyist this is important because it gives me more time to focus on polishing and applying the LSPs post decontamination.

Anyways, as a new comer to the forum I wanted to chime in and offer a small contribution, and if anyone wants more information or product recommendations feel free to reach out! If you are timid about doing all of this on your own, I'm in the north Dallas area and offer my services for far less than what the pros do and I will teach you while I renew your ride!

Good luck and happy holidays!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Miami detailer wanted

Hi all where can I find a moderately priced detailer who will come to my home in Doral.

I want to go clear coat route, though first clay. swirl, & shine.

Craig
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM

Hi all, found a great (not cheap) detailer in Miami who really "gets it". Lead from one of our 5 series members - thank you !

Here's what he was able to do with my 2005 CLK500 - I was amazed, paint came out nicer than my wife's 2010 328i,

See for yourself here:

Work performed
Clay
Swirls
Polish
Opti-coat
Canvas top cleaning & waterproofing
Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Soon to be 2014 328dx
I think I'm going to try it first on my daily driver(07 Chrysler Sebring) and see how well I do. I'm sure it's posted somewhere but I'm going to ask the question anyway. What are your recommended products of choice?
Shampoo
MFN clothes
Detailed
Clay
Lubricant for clay
Polish
Wax
Wheel cleaner
Any other products

Thanks

Let The Good Times Roll

Ordered - 2014 BMW 328d XDrive Alpine White w/Saddle Brown interior / Luxury Line / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assistance Package / Lighting Package / Navigation Package. PCD 5/1/2014

Daily driver - 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Daily driver - 2007 Chrysler Sebring
Summer toy - 1969 Chevy SS Camaro
Summer ride - 1995 H-D Softail Custom

BMW CCA member# 489465
Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M Sport
Claying was easy and fun thanks for the great tips!

Finally went for it and clayed my e92 last night. It was easy and fun. You really get to know your cars surface/spot so much more than you normally see when doing a regular wash and dry IMO. Thank you Nick for all the great insights and reco's