Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335 GT & '12 528
Trunk Money

Drove a 535 GT today, discounted from about $67k+ to $61k. 2010 535 with sports, cold weather and convenience packages. Nice ride. But I guess someone has figured out that a "grand touring" car that cannot safely be driven in a cold climate (thanks to the sports package) has a limited shelf life. The almost head guy at the dealership told me he had some "trunk money" for this car. I sure hope so.

Riddle me this: how can BMW sell a car with a "cold weather package" that cannot be driven in cold weather because of the tires on the car?

Apparently this little trunk monkey gets to jump to just one car, if you believe what I was told. So the dealers supposedly had to pick just one of their non-selling GTs for the trunk money. I suggest there will be many 2010 GTs with undesirable options resting on the lots as the 2011s arrive. Might get ugly, which is truly unfortunate. The 5 GT is a great idea. But the way BMW introduced it to the US, much like they did with the 335d, is totally brain dead, at least by American standards.

I remember why Audi fled the American market in the early 1970s. The sent many green painted autos over, because that is what sold in Germany. They didn't bother to do the research. At that time in the US green was the most disfavored color. I guess BMW shares the same arrogance, just passed down through the automotive grandchildren.

Last edited by NCe61; 09-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
If you put snow tires on it, it can be driven in a cold climate.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5, ordering 528i
We live in florida and typically always end up ordering the cold weather poackage for the heated seats (wife uses heated seat almost everyday even in the summer
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschenck2 View Post
We live in florida and typically always end up ordering the cold weather poackage for the heated seats (wife uses heated seat almost everyday even in the summer
Really!?
It's -26 C (-15 F) here today, and I did not even switch it on....
Heated steering wheel, OTOH, is just wonderful.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Lots of odd optioned 535iGT's here in California. A few without navigation, yet with added rear seat entertainment packages, some with strange combinations of packages that exclude niceties like rearview camera yet have rear seat climate controls and window shades.

We have two, a 2010 Alpine White and a 2011 Black Sapphire, both with Black interior. The 2011 has X drive and the Sports Package which came with all weather tires, making it the ideal vehicle for occasional trips to the mountains when there is inclement weather and light snowfall. When chains are required, I suppose cord or cable chains could be used since there is significant clearance in the wheel wells, although I would rather not. Incidentally, the Xdrive sports package gives you the luxury of the same size tire and wheel all around, rather than the staggered or offset sports configuration of the straight two wheel drive. Thus you can "rotate" the tires, something I could not do on my 328i with the Sport Package. Tires are 19" and the vehicle handles superbly. Why two of the same car you ask? Why not? We turned in two 328's and really liked the versatility of the GT. Not really a wagon, nor a sedan, nor a SUV or a crossover. It's...well...a..giant BMW
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Lots of odd optioned 535iGT's here in California. A few without navigation, yet with added rear seat entertainment packages, some with strange combinations of packages that exclude niceties like rearview camera yet have rear seat climate controls and window shades.

We have two, a 2010 Alpine White and a 2011 Black Sapphire, both with Black interior. The 2011 has X drive and the Sports Package which came with all weather tires, making it the ideal vehicle for occasional trips to the mountains when there is inclement weather and light snowfall. When chains are required, I suppose cord or cable chains could be used since there is significant clearance in the wheel wells, although I would rather not. Incidentally, the Xdrive sports package gives you the luxury of the same size tire and wheel all around, rather than the staggered or offset sports configuration of the straight two wheel drive. Thus you can "rotate" the tires, something I could not do on my 328i with the Sport Package. Tires are 19" and the vehicle handles superbly. Why two of the same car you ask? Why not? We turned in two 328's and really liked the versatility of the GT. Not really a wagon, nor a sedan, nor a SUV or a crossover. It's...well...a..giant BMW]
Aesthetically and dynamically - quintessentially BMW - which is a good thing

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-25-2011 at 05:22 AM.