Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Happy F10 driver

Mein Auto: F10 520d SE sport auto
Things you didn't know about your F10/11

As per some other model forums, would be great if you can share on this thread little known secrets, facts or oddities that are not obviously in the manual for the benefit of other drivers or potential buyers.....

Things you like, things that annoy you, etc.
F10 520d SE/sport auto gearbox/black sapphire/black leather/high gloss shadowline/sun protection glass/black high gloss int trim/visibility package/professional media package/sport steering wheel/18" V-spoke 328 wheels/model deletion/windscreen shade band/sports seats/amb lighting/extended aircon/DAB/professional hifi system/6NF smartphone USB/6NR BMW apps prep
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
As per some other model forums, would be great if you can share on this thread little known secrets, facts or oddities that are not obviously in the manual for the benefit of other drivers or potential buyers.....

I'm annoyed, that unlike the E60, the heated steering wheel turns off if you turn off the power and turn back on within ~10-15 min , whereas the heated seats stay on. In the E60 they both remained on. I now forget to turn it back on until I realize the wheel isn't hot anymore. Not the worst thing, but annoying.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beashonda View Post
I'm annoyed, that unlike the E60, the heated steering wheel turns off if you turn off the power and turn back on within ~10-15 min , whereas the heated seats stay on. In the E60 they both remained on. I now forget to turn it back on until I realize the wheel isn't hot anymore. Not the worst thing, but annoying.
I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I'm wondering, do you usually leave it on the whole time you're driving? For example I turn off my heated seats after 10 minutes or so, after the cabin has warmed up. Point is, I wonder if most people turn off the wheel after a few minutes also, making the "stay on" a moot point. You'd have to turn it on next time anyway.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I'm wondering, do you usually leave it on the whole time you're driving? For example I turn off my heated seats after 10 minutes or so, after the cabin has warmed up. Point is, I wonder if most people turn off the wheel after a few minutes also, making the "stay on" a moot point. You'd have to turn it on next time anyway.
I leave it on the whole time. But, I also leave the seats on all the time.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
I leave it on the whole time. But, I also leave the seats on all the time.

Is it that cold in OH
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo_oo[][]oo View Post
Is it that cold in OH
Mid teens last few days in am...cold enough my friend
Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post

The Dot!!!

We do some of us have it? Why do some of us not have it? Why does the manual fail to explain what it is?

2014 750ix M Sport

Last edited by GHOST PROTOCOL; 01-28-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
^^

It was 5 one day last week. Yep, I leave them both on. I may turn the seat down a bar or two, but otherwise, it stays on. I LOVE IT! (Heated Steering Wheel)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
My wife has named the car "joy" because of the advertising campaign. A local dealer has an ad every morning that begs me to put some "joy" in my garage. The northeast weather has kept "joy" in the garage far too much. I really hate that. A month old and less than 500 miles. 15 inches of snow last night. Tomorrow I drive the Toyota to work.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
It was 2 degrees on Monday morning this week. Got up to a high of about 19.

I couldn't even leave the seats on low.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
The Dot!!!

We do some of us have it? Why do some of us not have it? Why does the manual fail to explain what it is?
LMAO
Those with the dot are the chosen ones.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Happy F10 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
The Dot!!!

I wondered how long it would take for the dreaded dot to resurface. I'm not sure if I am hoping my new F10 has a dot or not. Chosen or unchosen?
F10 520d SE/sport auto gearbox/black sapphire/black leather/high gloss shadowline/sun protection glass/black high gloss int trim/visibility package/professional media package/sport steering wheel/18" V-spoke 328 wheels/model deletion/windscreen shade band/sports seats/amb lighting/extended aircon/DAB/professional hifi system/6NF smartphone USB/6NR BMW apps prep
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
I appreciate the small glove compartment left of the steering wheel. Don't appreciate the missing compartments above the ashtray.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
I appreciate the small glove compartment left of the steering wheel. Don't appreciate the missing compartments above the ashtray.
Yes, the ashtray is useless, and the center console isn't much better. I would love to see some better stowage space in the car. Having said that, the cupholders don't suck nearly as bad as I thought they would, and the storage space to the left of the wheel is very large...although I'm not sure what I'm going to put in there.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Thing I didn't know but like.....just found the 12v outlet in the trunk. Although I have rarely used the ones in my other cars, it's nice to have.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, the ashtray is useless, and the center console isn't much better. I would love to see some better stowage space in the car. Having said that, the cupholders don't suck nearly as bad as I thought they would, and the storage space to the left of the wheel is very large...although I'm not sure what I'm going to put in there.
I keep sunglasses, gloves and a small microfiber towel. Just a suggestion.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
+1 for sunglasses. Gloves?? It gets cold in Miami? Maybe they're driving gloves, yeah, that's it. Haven't driven my car since Tuesday due to snow -- don't want to get it dirty unless I have to. I'm getting tired of taking the subway to work though, will probably have to break down next week and drive in.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 5.0
Quote:
I've had my car 4 months and didn't know that compartment was there!!!

But I do have the mysterious DOT
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I put my sunglasses on and off probably 2-5 times / day. That compartment is quite deep and it was a pain for the first two days to dig around for the glasses. I move them to the door pocket and I'm quite happy now.

Don't worry, I have enough crap..I will figure out something to put in there.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1 for sunglasses. Gloves?? It gets cold in Miami? Maybe they're driving gloves, yeah, that's it. Haven't driven my car since Tuesday due to snow -- don't want to get it dirty unless I have to. I'm getting tired of taking the subway to work though, will probably have to break down next week and drive in.
Yes, they are driving gloves that I use only on long trips, for relief from the sun. Which brings me to another feature I like: the F10 glass blocks 100% of UV rays. I do not k ow whether other manufacturers' glass blocks UV rays also, but I like the fact that the F10's do. Great for your eyes, great for the skin.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I use it for my sunglasses as well.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Happy F10 driver

Quote:
Yes, they are driving gloves that I use only on long trips, for relief from the sun. Which brings me to another feature I like: the F10 glass blocks 100% of UV rays. I do not k ow whether other manufacturers' glass blocks UV rays also, but I like the fact that the F10's do. Great for your eyes, great for the skin.
I never knew that!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: F06 650i/E93 M3
Call me ignorant but........ What is the DOT?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Put this in the annoyed category -

I wish the memory seats had an exit mode where by the seat goes backward when the ignition is turned off and then after starting the car again the memory associated with the appropriate key fob returns the seat to the set position. Have the in my Vette and my former Caddy. Very nice feature. It should be a simple firmware fix.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Happy F10 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Call me ignorant but........ What is the DOT?
See http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dot