Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Putting the O in O face

Send a message via AIM to cali311soca
Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6sp
You said all your instruments lit up fine and when it did start it turned over like nothing was wrong. I don't think a bad battery would be the cause of this. Look into ignition switches, and like the other members already said, you can get fault codes read for free at some autozones or pep boys.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: M3 E46
E46 M3 will not crank, start

I also have been experiencing the same problem 04 e46 m3 SMG gearbox - I took it to BMW, they say nothing is wrong with the car, no error code are displayed. Drove the car home, next morning same thing, AA towed it back to BMW, it fired straight away. they kept it for a week and periodically started the car without a problem - total loss - can anyone help??
not sure what to try next - Starter motor / ignition / foot pedal switch ??? aaaahahhhh
Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: M3 E46
I also have been experiencing the same problem 04 e46 m3 SMG gearbox - I took it to BMW, they say nothing is wrong with the car, no error code are displayed. Drove the car home, next morning same thing, AA towed it back to BMW, it fired straight away. they kept it for a week and periodically started the car without a problem - total loss - can anyone help??
not sure what to try next - Starter motor / ignition / foot pedal switch ??? aaaahahhhh
Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Intermittent clicking but no start

I have somewhat of a unique spin on the starter issue as far as I can see...

When I go to start the car I will get all warning lights, dome lights, and headlights that come on. When I turn the key to start I hear a click, click, click in approximately 2 second intervals. During the click the headlights shut off along with the dash lights and oddly enough the drivers side window slowly opens a 1/4" at a time. After 5 or 6 attempts to start the car I will get no click at all...

The car has SMG tranny, 74k miles and is stock. Has anyone had any idea what would cause this or had this happen?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M3
Bring it into my buddy's shop
He has everything that the dealership has plus the experience
626) 792-9222 give tim a call and say that cj refered you
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmdanm View Post
Did you get anywhere with this? Mine is doing the same. Its a fairly common issue on the forums but nobody seems to have found a solution?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3 Convertible
Exclamation Possible Final Solution

I had this issue on my M3 when I first purchased it. All lights and electronics would be on, but the car would not even send power to the starter. It ended up being the Clutch Pedal Switch. If you have a stick, do what i did, get a hill and pop start it. If it starts that way, its the switch.