BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#841 ·
In my car is located in the back of the center console. Between the two chargers.

#844 ·
In my 2009 the idrive provides full functionality of the iphone and ipod features.

#845 ·
Newest iPod Nano

Just bought a new iPod Nano last night along with a new iMac. My intent is to dedicate (leave plugged in) by leaving it attached to the iPod connector in the armrest of my 2009 535xi with the OE BWM attachment/cord/charger. Sounds like the current Nano should work very well (display a BMW logo even) with the iDrive. Any first hand expereince would be appreciated. Question about shuffle - I think it works that when a song is playing you push down on the idrive controller and select 'random' - and this will start shuffling songs on the nano after the current song is done playing?/

Also, paired my new iPhone4 this morning - no problem paired super easy and was making calls from the idrive right away.

#846 ·
Just bought a new iPod Nano last night along with a new iMac. My intent is to dedicate (leave plugged in) by leaving it attached to the iPod connector in the armrest of my 2009 535xi with the OE BWM attachment/cord/charger. Sounds like the current Nano should work very well (display a BMW logo even) with the iDrive. Any first hand expereince would be appreciated. Question about shuffle - I think it works that when a song is playing you push down on the idrive controller and select 'random' - and this will start shuffling songs on the nano after the current song is done playing?/

Also, paired my new iPhone4 this morning - no problem paired super easy and was making calls from the idrive right away.
The nano may not charge,but otherwise it works well. If it doesn't charge it's not a big deal really. You can let it charge when you sync it to your iMac. That's been my experience. I have the iPod adaptor in the glovebox. Yours may work a little differently. I have good control of my nano using the iDrive controller.

#857 ·
iPod Option - what does it include?

does the iPod option on an 08 550i mean the addition of the input jack in the console, or does it also include cables or anything else?

TIA,

Keith

#858 ·
does the iPod option on an 08 550i mean the addition of the input jack in the console, or does it also include cables or anything else?

TIA,

Keith
Not sure if you are talking about adding an iPod adaptor after the fact, or the factory iPod. I added the iPod adaptor to my '07 530 having already had an aux jack behind the center console. The iPod adaptor gave me a USB cable in the glovebox that connects directly to the dock connector on my iPod. I can then access the iPod through the radio/iDrive control. It's not as nice as the factory iPod on the newer models (I drove an '09 535 loaner) but it works pretty well imo.

#865 ·
Does anyone have the 2nd generation IPOD tough on ipod OS4 working on their vehicle? I have had problems on mine.
IPod Touch 2G will not charge...

#864 ·
I just got the AUX input installed in my '06 530i and I am really disappointed with the sound quality. Its horrible; much worse than I would ever expect. I use an MP3 cd in my car and have the same files on my blackberry and iPod. Both the blackberry and iPod sound horrible through the AUX playing the same MP3 as the CD, where the CD sounds great. First change will be to get a new input cable, but when I used my existing cable on my friends car, it sounded fine. I am planning on removing the high pass filter from the vehicle, but could there be a problem with my install? The sound is nothing near what it should be, but before I do anything, I might have the dealer take a look.

On a second look and some light analysis of the filter, it will stay. It is a high pass filter, and will only filter out frequencies below about 5 hz, which is below hearing range. The ratio of output to input at 5 hz is still .916 and it drops off quickly from there. Thats not the issue, but does anyone have an idea about what could cause such poor sound from this system other than improper hookup?

If you want an idea of how it sounds, go to your iTunes equalizer, bottom out all of the ranges except 16K > +12 dB, and 32 > -6 dB

#869 ·
iPhone 3GS - HELP PLEASE!

Hi,

Have a 08 550i with factory iPod option in console and an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4. I don't know if it matters, but I beleive the Y-cable is the original one that came with the car in 08. Three issues:

1. When I plug in the iPhone, the idrive can see the phone, can see my songs and playlists, but when I choose a song, the time shows 00:00 and it does not play any music Any thoughts?

2. iPhone does not charge. Seems like others have been able to get the factory connection to charge their iPhones, but maybe I'm wrong.

3. As soon as I plug in the iPhone, the iPhone goes to the accesory screen and I lose total ipod control from the device. Any way around this?

Thanks for any help and please let me know if more details are needed.

#871 ·
i tried searching and got so many different ideas im confused. i want to make my 545i without nav and make it iphone 4 compatible. i also would like to get around spending $1100 at the dealership. production date of my car is 10/04. any ideas?!?!? im stumped and im going through ipod withdrawal.:(

#873 ·
Anyone know if an iPod kit for a 5 series is also appropriate for use in a 6 series? I sold my 550 and a guy with a 6 wants my iPod kit....

#876 ·
I figured I would throw my 2 cents in here.

Have a 2008 535xi with USB adapter in console. Instead of buying an IPOD, I bought a 16gb Sandisk cruzer stick drive off amazon for $25. Loaded my songs (about 5 gigs only) into 8 different folders, with 2 playlists. I must say, it works beautifully. For only $25, folder access is easy, quick, obviously cheaper than getting an Ipod. Also, the playlists are key. In order to get the playlists to work, I used this free online software to create them. All files are are MP3s.

http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

#881 · (Edited)
The old BMW dock connector won't charge recent model ipods/iphones, etc because it is a firewire cable. However, if you add an adapter it will charge your iPod/iPhone. I highly recommend picking up one of these adapters. I use it as my car charger for my iPhone and to play music through my BMW stereo.

Soche and Griffin both make adapters for firewire to USB power converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-passP...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295370533&sr=8-1

To link your playlists with your radio presets add prefix BMW1, BMW2, etc in front of each playlist you want linked to the applicable preset.

I name mine as follows: BMW1 - Favorites, BMW2 - Jazz

I hope this helps!

#885 ·
IPhone 4 with Defender case in Spec Dock

I finally got an Iphone 4 and I am looking for a clean solution for charging and playing songs: I am pretty much settled on getting the Spec Dock BMWE60V2AV kit, which will allow charging of the phone and 'dumb' playing of the songs through the aux function.

I already sent a bunch of technical and installation questions to the manufacturer and I will wait for their reply before I ask here... but there is one question I am not sure they will be able to answer:

My Iphone4 is in an Otterbox Defender case, which is too thick for most docking stations. As the Spec Docks use an insert system (the white plastic parts) to support all apple products, is it possible I could dock my phone with the case on if I do not use an insert at all? If anyone with both a Spec Dock and a Defender case could confirm it works or try it for me, Id be ecstatic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.