Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 AM
I make websites.

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe MT
Borrowing or Renting E39 Rear Ball Joint Tool

Folks,

Does anyone have this rear ball joint tool that I can borrow/rent so I don't have to purchase it myself?

-Kaleb
Work I've done - OEM Alarm Install, V1 Hardwire

2001 540i Sport MT (Traded) - Alpine White / Black
Options - Premium Sound (DSP), Rear Sunshades
Mods - Koni FSD/Eibach, Axxis Deluxe/Brembo, RP Synchromax, V1 Hardwire, DICE HD, Aluminum Adjusters, CDV (ZR), Tint
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
Good Luck Man, I Am Going To The Bmwcca Local Chapter Tech Day, Where A Bmw Technician Will Guide Me Through Both Ball Joints For Free..the Beauty Of $40 A Year
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Falcor
You mean the rear thrust arm bushings correct? You can rent the tool from autozone - that's what I did when I did my RTABs. You will want to get yourself a pair of circlip pliers that are large enough you manipulate the circlips on the ball joints (make sure they are seated correctly because otherwise they will come loose) as well as some high strength bolts, nuts and washers (the ones that come with the kit most likely will either be too short or too wide to work - that was my experience).
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
I make websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKinney View Post
Good Luck Man, I Am Going To The Bmwcca Local Chapter Tech Day, Where A Bmw Technician Will Guide Me Through Both Ball Joints For Free..the Beauty Of $40 A Year
That's really neat. I will probably join my local chapter soon. I can handle the labor, I just need the tool!

Mods - Koni FSD/Eibach, Axxis Deluxe/Brembo, RP Synchromax, V1 Hardwire, DICE HD, Aluminum Adjusters, CDV (ZR), Tint
Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: Falcor
Here's the DIY over at BFC: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=265867
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I make websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supark View Post
You mean the rear thrust arm bushings correct? You can rent the tool from autozone - that's what I did when I did my RTABs. You will want to get yourself a pair of circlip pliers that are large enough you manipulate the circlips on the ball joints (make sure they are seated correctly because otherwise they will come loose) as well as some high strength bolts, nuts and washers (the ones that come with the kit most likely will either be too short or too wide to work - that was my experience).
Thanks for your recommendation and thoughts. I have the pliers you speak of, so no issue there, but I hesitate to "settle" for the AutoZone tool before I try to get the perfect BMW one. I will take your advice if I have trouble finding one, though. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Farewell

Send a message via AIM to skydryice Send a message via MSN to skydryice
Mein Auto: CBR954RR
I have the tool you speak of. I am willing to loan it to you... I don't know how much shipping would be tho... hit me up, let me know.

Hushpower II, Stoptech BBK, UUC V12 Clutch Conversion, UUC LTW Flywheel, UUC 9-Button Clutch, Eibach Sways, CF hood, Zionsville HD conversion
UUC EVO3 SSK w/ DSSR, UUC Clutch Stop, DICE, 2point5, Eibach Pro Coilovers, High Flow Cats, Simulated O2
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Sky, you still have that tool? I am thinking of doing mine soon and would appreciate it if I could borrow it from you for a weekend. I will pay for shipping of course, let me know the particulars please...
Thanks in advance,
V
Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Just in case you feel like buying it, I bought it from these guys;

http://www.technictool.com/

It was about $100 and I was able to resell when I was done pretty easily. They even replaced the rod for after I bent it from misuse

BMW334-190 Rear Wheel Carrier R&R Set

Current:
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Retired:
95 e36 M3/5spd, 96 328is/5spd, 97 540iA, 98 528iA, 01 X5 4.4iA, 03 325xiA, 04 530iA, 02 330Cic/5spd, 08 535xit

Last edited by z0lt3c; 11-13-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 97 540I6
Here's a good DIY.
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Sorry for the thread-jacking...didnt want to make another thread for the exact same thing. My mech said that one of my ball joint needs replacing too. The DIY said 6hrs to change it...dang, thats alot of labor charges for one piece.
Is it still safe to drive?
Should I wait until I need to replace other parts too?
What parts should I be also replacing while there?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Rent the C-clamp press from Auto Zone...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
On the related topic of bad REAR ball joint, this video shows you how a bad REAR ball joint behaves like:

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
This is the exact reason I'm not driving my 528i at the moment. On the left rear wheel, along with a wishbone balljoint directly above that has the same amount of play.

When folks say rent "the" Autozone press or puller, are you referring to something generic most Autozones will have on-hand, something that will work with these e39 rear balljoints without any modifications?

I see lots of OTC 3-in-1 C-frame balljoint pullers all over the net. Is that what Autozone is likely to lend me?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
..When folks say rent "the" Autozone press or puller, are you referring to something generic most Autozones will have on-hand, something that will work with these e39 rear balljoints without any modifications?
Go to Autozone and RENT Item # 27089. You put down a deposit (credit card etc.) and they will refund the amount when you return the tool intact. It basically costs you nothing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=4209303
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM

BTW, I am working on an "El Cheapo" tool using exhaust reducers, long bolts etc. Total cost is about $15.
This way you are the proud owner of the new "El Cheapo REAR Ball Joint Tool".
I'll post info later, maybe April or May.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks, I'll rent from Autozone this time (placing my order for balljoints etc. with Pelican today). I really need to do the entire suspension on this car but "in this economy" that's not going to happen.

As to homemade..... Yeah I was thinking about taking a routine tour of my local metals scrapyard and buying a mishmash of remnant piping. I haven't measured anything yet, though, so maybe this would be an opportunity ....

....[update].....

So much for renting that tool from Autozone. My local outlet doesn't have (and says they can't get) the one cn90 recommended, but they do have the 27023.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=557231_0_0_

Guess I'd better get down under the car and measure a couple things.....

Last edited by pleiades; 01-28-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
aioros

Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
I rented the tool from kbsilver from bimmerforums. It really does work like clockwork. It's a tough fix. You need a spreader bar to open up the swing arm and install the integral link. Follow the beisan systems procedure also.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM

Got -most- of my parts in for this (should've bought integral links too!), still haven't got a BJ press. The three sleeves with the one they had at my local Autozone were a poor fit, seemed they'd slip off the BJ rim when pressing in the new. (I took a new BJ to the store to measure.)

I've been reading the DIY threads here and on bimmerforum and noticed a post by dvsgene mentioning that he used the press with sleeves from an additional 4WD adapter set that they also rent. I'll ask about that one.

Jasondriver mentions jacking up the swing-arm to get clearance for the C-frame ball-joint tool, whereas Beisan goes the other way and uses a pry bar and wood wedge to get clearance by pushing the swingarm down. I might try both ways but I will try the jason approach first.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Whatever you find out, let us know the best tool for the job and we'll add it to the VERY best of E39 Links

Here's what is there now ...
- How to make your own ball joint replacement tool (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to buy a rear ball joint press (1)
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi BlueBee,

Just a FYI, to keep the context here. Of the four links you list in reference to "how to make your own ball joint replacement tool," only the first one involves making a tool (from hole cutters) for the rear wheel carrier ball joint. I appreciate that, and may try it. Ball joint presses for the other BJs on these cars are different.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Got -most- of my parts in for this (should've bought integral links too!), still haven't got a BJ press. The three sleeves with the one they had at my local Autozone were a poor fit, seemed they'd slip off the BJ rim when pressing in the new. (I took a new BJ to the store to measure.)

I've been reading the DIY threads here and on bimmerforum and noticed a post by dvsgene mentioning that he used the press with sleeves from an additional 4WD adapter set that they also rent. I'll ask about that one.

Jasondriver mentions jacking up the swing-arm to get clearance for the C-frame ball-joint tool, whereas Beisan goes the other way and uses a pry bar and wood wedge to get clearance by pushing the swingarm down. I might try both ways but I will try the jason approach first.
If you get stuck, as mentioned I do have a kit that I've been renting out. Contains the rear balljoint tool, some sockets needed to purchase for the job and a lock ring pilers. Right now it's spoken for but should be available again in about 2 weeks. If interested PM me and I'll put you on the list. This is specifically made for the E38/E39 rear balljoint. Takes one minute to remove and one minute to install with the tool. I do take a deposit with the final cost being $25 plus the shipping back to me.

Just so you know the $25 covers shipping to you, paypal fees, trip to the PO, and maintenance of the tool (I've had to purchase/replace wearable parts to keep it in good condition). This is a break even process. Wanted to explain because on another board (which will remain nameless) I made the same offer but was ripped a new one being accused of making a profit.

Last edited by KeithS; 02-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
If you get stuck, as mentioned I do have a kit that I've been renting out. Contains the rear balljoint tool, some sockets needed to purchase for the job and a lock ring pilers. Right now it's spoken for but should be available again in about 2 weeks. If interested PM me and I'll put you on the list. This is specifically made for the E38/E39 rear balljoint. Takes one minute to remove and one minute to install with the tool. I do take a deposit with the final cost being $25 plus the shipping back to me.

Just so you know the $25 covers shipping to you, paypal fees, trip to the PO, and maintenance of the tool (I've had to purchase/replace wearable parts to keep it in good condition). This is a break even process. Wanted to explain because on another board (which will remain nameless) I made the same offer but was ripped a new one being accused of making a profit.
That'san awfully nice offer, and I may not be able to pass it up. If I keep bumping into small roadblocks with this side of the job I'll be contacting you. $25 is very fair.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post

Note: I see this ripping did not take place on this forum.

Let's see, you invested in the tool, are kind enough to loan it out at a small profit and and getting ripped? That stinks. When a tool is used it gets worn and why the hell should you pay for wear and tear which would NOT happen if it sat in your toolbox until needed again. If I invested in a tool like this, I would also set rental at rates that cover wear and tear. If this is not acceptable to some.... go find the tool elsewhere, or buy one yourself.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
only the first one involves making a tool (from hole cutters) for the rear wheel carrier ball joint.
I changed it to this (is that OK or would you change it to something else)?
- How to make your own ball joint replacement tool (1) & what balljoint tools to use (1) (2) (3) & where to buy a rear ball joint press (1) (2)

Note: I use "ball joint" and "balljoint" on purpose so as to allow both searches to work.