Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 523iSE
Removing BMW Business RDS stereo

I am having GREAT trouble removing the BMW Business RDS cassette/radio from my 1996 523i.

I have tried searching the web, but I can't work out what people are talking about in the explanations they give (No close-up pictures to help ).

On the FCSR Car Stereo Removal Guide it talks about a 'slot for a small jewelers flat head screw driver', but I can't work out what they are talking about.

Does anyone know of any close-up pictures that will show me what I am supposed to be doing?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
pull the knob straight toward you it will slip right off, u will see a small hex srew turn it to the left and the use a tooth pick to gently swing the face towards you its easy.. u can do it..
Old 02-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 523iSE
Happy now

Thanks 4 info 1bad540, but the panel releases in a different way that does not require you to turn a small hex screw.

I don't have the MID panel that may be standard in the US (it's a UK model) so this is probably the reason why the release mechanism is different.

Anyway I've found out how to do it.

Sorry about the double post btw.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i
http://www.bmw.bazzi.biz/anleit/iris.pdf
Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540iT
He's my documentation.

Click on images to enlarge.

540iT Radio
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
Great pictures, helped me out a bunch. I wish I had checked them before tearing the dash out...
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 03 525i + 03 525i Wagon
Ok, didn't have the correct info. on the MID removal and have apparently broken the torx screw, we tried to unscrew it, not just turn 90 degrees.

Does anyone have an idea of what we can do now?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Milner View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what we can do
Yes. Others have done the same thing.

You resurrected a very old thread; but luckily, in the interim, other people have broken the allen head screw that only needed to be turned 90 degrees.

Their solution should be in one of these the VERY best of E39 Links references (some of which include the business cd removal & trim removal in addition to the MID).
- DICE Silverline radio-mount instructions (1) (2) (3) & how to remove just the MID (1)
- How to remove interior cockpit trim (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & cracks in the wood panels (1) & in the plastic vents (1)
- Hualigan installation DIY with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1)
- How to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Still confused

Thanks for the reply and the references, but I simply cannot find anywhere where someone has offered a solution to my problem of a broken MID, torx screw. The instructions I had said UNSCREW the torx screw. Obviously, now reading all these threads, it should have only been turned 1/4 to 9:00.

However, I cannot find anywhere in these threads where a solution to my problem is, only how it is done correctly.

Can you direct me to a specific item; it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ted
Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Screwed up MID removal

I sent out a thread last week asking for help to remove my MID after having the incorrect instructions that said to unscrew the Torx, not turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise.

Now I have a broken Torx assembly and I can't get the unit out
Bluebee was good enough to send me several sites to try, but non of them tell me how to solve my current problem.

Does anyone know the manufacturer and model of the MID for a 2003, USA car, 525i Sport Wagon. I would like to try the makers website and see if there is a parts blow-up that might shed some help.

Am I really the only guy to screw the removal up?

thanks,

Ted
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Milner View Post
Am I really the only guy to screw the removal up?
I just typed "remove mid torx allen" into the search button and found this:
- Is a Torx wrench all you need in order to get the @#$% radio out?

There are some solutions proposed there - but no followup by the OP. I will ask the OP to followup, if for no other reason than to help you (in addition to the fact it's a courtesy to those who tried to help them).

I never had the problem so I can't offer you "my" solution - and - I wish everyone who has problems like this would at least write back with their solution (as I always try to do as do others).

So please do a followup when you do resolve this issue.

That way, the next inevitable person with the problem stands on the shoulders of all previous with that problem - and moves the (tribal knowledge) ball forward.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torxallen.png
Views:	4362
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	265684   Click image for larger version

Name:	results.png
Views:	4405
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	265685  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-05-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM

That thread only took me five seconds to find but in the hopes that the OPs of these two broken-torx threads post back with useful solutions, I've already added these two broken-torx threads to the best links (in anticipation of good results!).

- DICE Silverline radio-mount instructions (1) (2) (3) & how to remove just the MID (1) (2) (3) & how to repair a broken MID torx turn-screw (1) (2) (3)

I KNOW there was another thread (where the guy used a screwdriver to get it out finally); but I think the OP can find that thread with a search so I didn't try.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I've been digging through all these old threads trying to find a resolution. Can anyone point me to one? Or post one who's had this issue? I'll buy you beer.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neide View Post
I've been digging through all these old threads trying to find a resolution. Can anyone point me to one?
Take a look at this thread updated today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 MID removal (without Torx)

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Looks like another stripped Torx radio screw reported today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inruiwetrust View Post
So I've been attempting to take out the radio out of my car now for quite a few hours as it seems the person before me totally broke the release screw in the volume knob. I have looked up a few different solutions that some users have come up with but none seems to be working for me. The release screw is completely broken, so trying to go in from the volume knob is not going to do any good as it is no longer attached to the release. I read one user got his out by fabricating a piece of sheet metal and going from under the HVAC to release the latch that way but I have no means of fabricating such metal nor can I get to it with a screwdriver or my fingers. Another shoved a screwdriver down the right side of the radio and got the radio to pop out after pulling it. I tried that and that hasn't done anything at all. Can anyone think of any other solution aside from blowing the thing up?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Radio Removal

Bluebee, you've done it again. I have not seen any of these posts, and gives me a good idea of how to get this thing out, have the LEDs fixed so I can actually see the screen and make adjustments like a real car.

Thanks very much for remembering and taking the time to send this to me.

If you ever decide to get a newer model, please let me know so I can get the same car and get all this wonderful advice.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I make out when I get a chance to try it.

Regards.
Ted
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 AM

For the crosslinked record, another user asked questions of the RDS business radio today;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybert View Post
Hi I have a buisness RDS stereo in my car that won't turn on. The screen shows the clock, and I'm able to set the time. But when I hit the volum button to turn on, nothing happen. Is my radio/info deck dead? or is there something to try?

What I have trier so far:
-Changed all the fuses to the radio
-Messured for voltage to radio (12.3v)

So the question again, do I need to change the unit, or is there something left to try?

Picture of the radio
_a_
See also this entry in the bestlinks:
- How to remove and replace the Radio Data broadcast System RDS business radio (1) (2)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rds.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	397494  
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM

For cross reference, there is good information from JimLev about removing the radio when the torx is stripped in this thread today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > business radio broken removal tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Start by removing the cup holders. swing them out and you'll see 2 Phillips screws.
Remove the screws and yank the cup holder assy out.
Now stick you hand in the hole and pop the HVAC panel out. There are no screws that hold it in.
Look at the pics below.
You will need a thin piece of metal to slide up the left side from the HVAC opening to the MID.
Try to get the metal strip behind the locking tabs, then move the strip towards you. This will push the locking clips in.
Now pull the MID out.
I sent this info to another guy years ago that had the same problem, he said it worked.