Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
6NR on US Order Sheets

Here's the first "official" (for the US) thing I've seen ref 6NR. Most dealers I talk to still have no clue what I'm referring to.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/01/31...-guide-leaked/

I just need a little HUD and Full Black Panel love and I'm in!!

Tim
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
The U.S. dealers received a Bulletin a week ago Friday with the 6NR details. It is posted on several forums here also:

Quote:
BMW ConnectedDrive: BMW Apps (6NR)

In keeping with BMW’s leadership in technological advancement, BMW is proud to announce the availability of “BMW Apps” as a single option (6NR). Coming as the next advancement in BMW’s ConnectedDrive strategy, BMW Apps will provide a new, unique way of connecting the driver, vehicle and iPhone. For the first time owners will be able to experience the latest app technology via iDrive. Please be advised that adding option 6NR to any vehicle will automatically add Smartphone Integration (6NF) without an additional charge. 6NF will no longer be available as a standalone option.
At the time of launch, BMW Apps will offer three functional areas (Apps, PlugIn, and Video Playback).
Apps will consist of the BMW Connected App and BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps. The BMW Connected App is a free package available for download at Apple’s App Store and currently includes Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter. Announcements for BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps will be forthcoming.
PlugIn allows the user to take advantage of Apple iTunes features (such as Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc) that were previously unavailable. In essence, this function brings the look and feel of Apple’s iPod interface to the iDrive display (requires snap in adapter).
Video Playback enables the user to view any video playback from their iPhone via the iDrive display when the vehicle is stationary (requires snap in adapter).

BMW Apps will be available on all BMW vehicles as of March except for X3, X5, and X6 models, where availability will begin as of April. iPhone models supported include 3G, 3GS or 4 enabled with the “BMW Connected” app available free of charge at Apple’s App Store.
More details will be provided in the upcoming bulletin “B-1-0111-12-All-02 BMW Apps (6NR).
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I missed it, thanks.

April... hmmm

The X crowd is left out?

Tim
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
I missed it, thanks.

April... hmmm

The X crowd is left out?

Tim
Not sure about the X3, as it just really went on sale as a 2011, but the X5/X6 go to MY 2012 production in April. So it may have to do with a factory changeover in SC for the new MY...
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
my brother spoke to our service rep and he said we can do a software upgrade but my brother isn't well versed in this issue so i'm not 100% sure he knows what he was asking about hahah i hope he doesn't read this forum, if he does hi!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM

ah, crap.. I misread the thing and thought April was for everyone.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajison View Post
my brother spoke to our service rep and he said we can do a software upgrade but my brother isn't well versed in this issue so i'm not 100% sure he knows what he was asking about hahah i hope he doesn't read this forum, if he does hi!

Are u saying that post Sept built 5s can get a software up date?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzwicker View Post
Are u saying that post Sept built 5s can get a software up date?
yup, i asked my brother again and he said he talked about things like internet radio which i was like, ok can already do pandora and things. what got me excited and made me believe him was that he said that facebook and twitter integration would work with the software upgrade.

yup this was all for post sept build.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi MSport
I was going to order last month but held off until this option was available. I just received a custom build order sheet from my dealer that has "6NR BMW Apps" and "6WA Instrument Cluster with extended contents" both included but the price column for each says "Blocked" (as does the total price). I've seen some speculation that the HUD might change to full color but this is still listed as "610 Head-up Display" with a price of $1,300. My CA has not heard of any changes to HUD, thinks it will will be amber color. My guys says if I sign now I can be one of the first built this way, delivery end of March or early April. I know these options will not be that pricey (in the scope of things) but still I'm hesitant to pull the trigger without the cost of what I am buying. Anyone else in same boat?

Last edited by bostonx5; 02-06-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonx5 View Post
My SA has not heard of any changes to HUD, thinks it will will be amber color.
If he means completely amber, the F10 has always had some color. Anyway, this is enough for me, I'm placing an order early next week.

Thanks for the update!

Tim
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
I was going to order last month but held off until this option was available. I just received a custom build order sheet from my dealer that has "6NR BMW Apps" and "6WA Instrument Cluster with extended contents" both included but the price column for each says "Blocked" (as does the total price). I've seen some speculation that the HUD might change to full color but this is still listed as "610 Head-up Display" with a price of $1,300. My SA has not heard of any changes to HUD, thinks it will will be amber color. My guys says if I sign now I can be one of the first built this way, delivery end of March or early April. I know these options will not be that pricey (in the scope of things) but still I'm hesitant to pull the trigger without the cost of what I am buying. Anyone else in same boat?

Who is ur dealer and salesman in Boston? I have a 5 on order too.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi MSport
Tim - you are right, didn't mean solid amber but only a couple of colors (like my outgoing X5). I saw somewhere that full color implementation may be coming to HUD.

Al - I use Jamie at BMW Peabody. Best customer service I have ever encountered.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Tim - you are right, didn't mean solid amber but only a couple of colors (like my outgoing X5). I saw somewhere that full color implementation may be coming to HUD.
If I had to guess, I'd say you're getting it since the other two items are now showing up on order sheets (6NR and 6WA). I'll have to check but I don't think the new HUD had a new option number, which in this case is good news.

Tim
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajison View Post
what got me excited and made me believe him was that he said that facebook and twitter integration would work with the software upgrade.
Although more promising signs from anecdotal evidence of an upgrade path, BMW formally has been silent on this possibility and has only even let minimal info out on the production changes themselves. If a software upgrade would be offered (for a fee), it would be a new thing for BMW and undoubtedly require the 6NF option to use many of the 6NR features described. In the past, BMW has been forward thinking on providing new features during production cycle changes and has generally left previous version behind. This would be first, hopefully.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535ix
I guess we woo no fairly soon.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Gadget/Car Nut

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Well, this is good news. I'm probably placing an order tomorrow...so glad to know this is "official" for the US now....