Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
onefish2 onefish2 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
The Standard Stereo in a 2011 X5

Just picked up a X5 35i Premium today. I will keep this short and sweet. I am am music fanatic. I have over 1500 CDs, 65,000 songs in iTunes, been to over 100 concerts, 10+ ipods over the years, 3 stereos in my house and iPod docks all over my house too. I am a music perfectionist. Maybe even an audiophile.

The standard stereo in the X5 is just fine. If you listen to mp3s, Sirius or FM radio... well all of those are poor sources to begin with. If you only listen to CDs while the car is parked then maybe, just maybe you won't like the stereo.

Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.

Last edited by onefish2; 02-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
To all those who claim the standard audio is crap, re-read again the above post, an honest opinion from an audiophile.

By the way, who still listens to CDs?
__________________


Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,456
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I do, when I can't get the 8 track to work.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
To all those who claim the standard audio is crap, re-read again the above post, an honest opinion from an audiophile.

By the way, who still listens to CDs?
problem is...when you turn the base volume up..it gets just "louder" highs and lows are not amplified.


I like to think of the base radio as an AM station....turn it up louder and it still sucks, but just hurts your ears.


That being said, I tried the base/premium and both were terrible.( I have the base on the 50i which seems to be a step up from the 35i??????)

better off getting the base and putting your own in.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I do, when I can't get the 8 track to work.
8 track? wtf is that? I tried googling it, and it comes back telling me their database does not go back beyond the stone age.
__________________


Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM
pk9394 pk9394 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I do, when I can't get the 8 track to work.
LOL, maybe the new camaro has that option
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
ckm1515's Avatar
ckm1515 ckm1515 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,109
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
Just picked up a X5 35i Premium today. I will keep this short and sweet. I am am music fanatic. I have over 1500 CDs, 65,000 songs in iTunes, been to over 100 concerts, 10+ ipods over the years, 3 stereos in my house and iPod docks all over my house too. I am a music perfectionist. Maybe even an audiophile.

The standard stereo in the X5 is just fine. If you listen to mp3s, Sirius or FM radio... well all of those are poor sources to begin with. If you only listen to CDs while the car is parked then maybe, just maybe you won't like the stereo.

Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.
I hvae the premium in mine and when compared to the base, sounded a bit crisper to me. Probably all in my head but I like bangin' music in my ride. After 60K+ price tag, another $1,200 didn't really faze me
__________________



Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
winterk winterk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 2011 White X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
8 track? wtf is that? I tried googling it, and it comes back telling me their database does not go back beyond the stone age.
Hahaha

I have to disagree with the initial post though, the base audio is crap, one of the worst I've heard especially on a $60k luxury car. I don't know what type of kool-aid you're drinking that makes you think otherwise but I want some! On the plus side I'm quite happy with my premium audio package, not perfect but pretty darn good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
leetheway leetheway is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: x5
I agree the base is garbage. I had a 2008 E70 and the base in that one was manageable but I think BMW downgraded the base since.
I have the premium in the new car. It is better but not great definitely no where near my home system (and yes i still listen to cds and vinyl). Lexus and audi have much better system.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
winterk winterk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 2011 White X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetheway View Post
I agree the base is garbage. I had a 2008 E70 and the base in that one was manageable but I think BMW downgraded the base since.
I have the premium in the new car. It is better but not great definitely no where near my home system (and yes i still listen to cds and vinyl). Lexus and audi have much better system.
Agreed, a car will never match a home system though. It's hard to optimally place the speakers with all the seats, curves, and shapes that are in a car without having some of the signals blocked. Plus your speaker size is more limited.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
onefish2 onefish2 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
One more time... Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.

I did not say it was great. I said it was good. And its far from crap. Could it be better? Sure. Should there be a better sound systems in a 60k car? Yes.

The point of my post was that the base stereo is OK and I do not think its necessary to spend another $1200 for the premium system. I am glad that I did not spend the extra money.

The other point was how are you guys determining that the base stereo sucks? What is your source FM? Sirius? a iPod? All of those sources are crap to begin with. I think sat radio is much worse sounding than even a 128k mp3. So please do not say you are making you determination based on listening to those sources.

I have a 2009 MINI Cooper. Now that IS a crap stereo.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Aqua Bliss Aqua Bliss is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: OC
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 303
Mein Auto: e92
The base stereo sucks and I'm far from an Audiophile. It sounds like the music is being piped in with 2 cans and a string from my house to my car. Listen to any stereo in any other new car (even Honda/Toyota/Hyundai) they all sound 10x better than x5 crappy base stereo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss View Post
The base stereo sucks and I'm far from an Audiophile. It sounds like the music is being piped in with 2 cans and a string from my house to my car. Listen to any stereo in any other new car (even Honda/Toyota/Hyundai) they all sound 10x better than x5 crappy base stereo.
lol...

THe premium sound system is "weak sauce" too...look at the specs does not even compare to a base in the range rover.

I went back to some 3 series that had Harmon Kardon speakers as their base WTF happened?


Just sad that when listening to howard stern his voice is not crisp...the base system always make it seem as if I need to turn up the volume but when I do it just hurts my ears.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Jim E.'s Avatar
Jim E. Jim E. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 480
Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
One more time... Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.

I did not say it was great. I said it was good. And its far from crap. Could it be better? Sure. Should there be a better sound systems in a 60k car? Yes.

The point of my post was that the base stereo is OK and I do not think its necessary to spend another $1200 for the premium system. I am glad that I did not spend the extra money.

The other point was how are you guys determining that the base stereo sucks? What is your source FM? Sirius? a iPod? All of those sources are crap to begin with. I think sat radio is much worse sounding than even a 128k mp3. So please do not say you are making you determination based on listening to those sources.

I have a 2009 MINI Cooper. Now that IS a crap stereo.
I have an idea. When the weather is nicer, let's all meet up in the NY/NJ area and run a comparison. I'm being serious btw. Sort of like a blind taste test using the same source for music.

Btw, my primary listening source is a usb hard drive with all cd's burned in WMA Lossless. Not that I don't listen to other sources but a 240 gig hard drive can hold quite a bit - even lossless.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
pfbz pfbz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CO
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: Many
So to summarize....

The Base stereo is somewhere between crap and just fine,
while the Premium stereo is somewhere between weak sauce and pretty darn good.

Glad we cleared that up!


PS: Running boards suck on an X5...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,571
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
I have an idea.
I have an idea:

Anyone buying an X5, LISTEN TO THE STEREO when making your ordering decision. Simple.

Arguing about sound quality is like arguing about girlfriends. Who knows what floats ones aural boat.

A

PS Agree on running boards!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Jim E.'s Avatar
Jim E. Jim E. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 480
Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
So to summarize....

The Base stereo is somewhere between crap and just fine,
while the Premium stereo is somewhere between weak sauce and pretty darn good.

Glad we cleared that up!


PS: Running boards suck on an X5...
Wait, why are you leaving out the BMW Individual Sound system (aka: EPS)?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Jim E.'s Avatar
Jim E. Jim E. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 480
Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I have an idea:

Anyone buying an X5, LISTEN TO THE STEREO when making your ordering decision. Simple.

Arguing about sound quality is like arguing about girlfriends. Who knows what floats ones aural boat.

A

PS Agree on running boards!
I didn't know we were arguing. I'd better get in arguing mode.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
pfbz pfbz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CO
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I have an idea:
Anyone buying an X5, LISTEN TO THE STEREO when making your ordering decision. Simple.
Around here, trying to finalize options by checking out dealer inventory is useless...

If your lucky, they have one or two X5's on the lot, usually configured pretty much identically.

Want to check out Multi-contour seats? Good luck! Curious about Nappa leather and dash? Not going to happen! Sport seats? Hah!

Oh, and no premium sound either. If your lucky, you can get a peak at two or three different exterior color options.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,571
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
I didn't know we were arguing. I'd better get in arguing mode.
Not arguing bud, just using some alliteration from your post...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,571
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
Around here, trying to finalize options by checking out dealer inventory is useless...

If your lucky, they have one or two X5's on the lot, usually configured pretty much identically.

Want to check out Multi-contour seats? Good luck! Curious about Nappa leather and dash? Not going to happen! Sport seats? Hah!

Oh, and no premium sound either. If your lucky, you can get a peak at two or three different exterior color options.
I'm just saying, you are spending $65k, you'd think that over the course of the few weeks it takes to finalize a deal, a buyer could find a car somewhere to make a decision. I'm just talking sound... I do agree it is a challenge. Actually one very hard thing to test is adaptive drive. NO DEALER WILL ORDER THIS for a 'lot sale'.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
So to summarize....

The Base stereo is somewhere between crap and just fine,
while the Premium stereo is somewhere between weak sauce and pretty darn good.

Glad we cleared that up!


PS: Running boards suck on an X5...
Running board make it look decent....roof rails suck..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
Just picked up a X5 35i Premium today. I will keep this short and sweet. I am am music fanatic. I have over 1500 CDs, 65,000 songs in iTunes, been to over 100 concerts, 10+ ipods over the years, 3 stereos in my house and iPod docks all over my house too. I am a music perfectionist. Maybe even an audiophile.

The standard stereo in the X5 is just fine. If you listen to mp3s, Sirius or FM radio... well all of those are poor sources to begin with. If you only listen to CDs while the car is parked then maybe, just maybe you won't like the stereo.

Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.
I'm curious, what kind of "audiophile" system do you run in your house? B&W? Martin Logan? Any vinyl?

The base stereo, for a 65K vehicle, is barely adequate. The premium 35i stereo is upgraded from the base, but is not the "premium audio". I think there are probably other systems that sound worse - but I'd like to think the system can be improved for the amount of $$ we pay, especially those who are paying the $2K for the "premium" audio.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
winterk winterk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 2011 White X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
So to summarize....

The Base stereo is somewhere between crap and just fine,
while the Premium stereo is somewhere between weak sauce and pretty darn good.

Glad we cleared that up!


PS: Running boards suck on an X5...
Oh now you had to bring running boards into it...now it's on! LOVE the running boards, they're hot stuff, plus they save your X5 from door dings from cars. They stick out just enough from the door trim so they hit the running boards first (no protection from trucks though). Glad we cleared that up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 AM
03BMW330 03BMW330 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 585
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 328
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
Around here, trying to finalize options by checking out dealer inventory is useless...

If your lucky, they have one or two X5's on the lot, usually configured pretty much identically.

Want to check out Multi-contour seats? Good luck! Curious about Nappa leather and dash? Not going to happen! Sport seats? Hah!

Oh, and no premium sound either. If your lucky, you can get a peak at two or three different exterior color options.
+1, my dealer didn't have diesel for me to drive and all the cars in showroom were "Dead" battery not charged Thay had one demo unit but someone was drivin it ....

BMW lack of oversight is amazing (My local grocery store spend more time rearranging Frito Lay around the store than BMW selling 70K + cars)

I specifically ordered premium sound because everybody was saying how bad stock was ... oh well at least I didn't get running boards
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms