Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 81 Fiat, 06 LR3, 08 RR
Just ordered X3 28 and a few newbie questions

Good afternoon (for those of you on the Eastern seaboard), I'm a new member here, and soon to be new owner of an X3.

After about a month of test driving (everything from the Audi Q5, to the Volvo XC60, to the new Ford Explorer, and even a Subaru) and reading the posts here, I just ordered a jet black 28 X3 and have to say it was a lot of fun figuring out exactly what options I could not live without, kind of needed, or just really wanted.... Anticipating delivery in March.

Ordered the X3 with the Chestnut interior (and trying to quell any last minute second thoughts on that choice) - I haven't seen this live (just online and in a photo or two). It has always looked more red to me than orange, but if there are any owners here with the Chestnut interior, I would be grateful for any pics or thoughts as to whether it is more reddish than orange and how close it is to the Saddle leather color available in other BMW models.

Second question relates to break-in period (and I know the dealer will go over this with me) but would appreciate thoughts on how to best break-in the engine as new.

Really looking forward to my new X3!

Thanks,

Scott
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbrad View Post
Good afternoon (for those of you on the Eastern seaboard), I'm a new member here, and soon to be new owner of an X3.

After about a month of test driving (everything from the Audi Q5, to the Volvo XC60, to the new Ford Explorer, and even a Subaru) and reading the posts here, I just ordered a jet black 28 X3 and have to say it was a lot of fun figuring out exactly what options I could not live without, kind of needed, or just really wanted.... Anticipating delivery in March.

Ordered the X3 with the Chestnut interior (and trying to quell any last minute second thoughts on that choice) - I haven't seen this live (just online and in a photo or two). It has always looked more red to me than orange, but if there are any owners here with the Chestnut interior, I would be grateful for any pics or thoughts as to whether it is more reddish than orange and how close it is to the Saddle leather color available in other BMW models.

Second question relates to break-in period (and I know the dealer will go over this with me) but would appreciate thoughts on how to best break-in the engine as new.

Thanks,

Scott
For the first 1200 miles, keep it under 4500 RPM, under 100 MPH, and vary the RPM/speeds (no long runs at the same speed or RPM).

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Welcome!

The Chestnut interior is similar to that on the 3er sedan/touring, kind of a brick red colour. I really wouldn't describe it as orange in anyway. It works well with Jet Black. I hope you ordered the Aluminium trim or the darker Fineline Wood trim to pair with the Chestnut- it just doesn't work with Siena light wood. The standard Matte Silver will also be okay.

Play with this if you haven't already: http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...isualizer.html

Chestnut is called Rotbraun or Red Brown.

The owner's manual states the break-in lasts for the first 2000km. Avoid revs over 4500rpm and speeds exceeding 160km/h (100mph), although once or twice won't hurt. Also avoid hard ABS stops and take it easy on the tires for the first 500km (300mi). Vary the revs whenever possible.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I hope you ordered the Aluminium trim or the darker Fineline Wood trim to pair with the Chestnut- it just doesn't work with Siena light wood. The standard Matte Silver will also be okay.

There was a 35i at my dealership with chestnut brown and Fineline trim. It looked atrocious. It's a great colour, but it doesn't go well with either wood trim.

This probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Don't use cheap gas. Always fill up with premium.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! Well, I went with the fineline wood and did find some pics online and based on those, the combination of the fineline and chestnut looked great.

Definitely will NOT use regular gas and will obey the break-in rules as I'm planning to keep the X3 for some time.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 35i
Smile

I ordered fineline and chestnut interior. I saw it on the swatches and the colors look great together. My production is complete and my X3 35i is a the prep center. According to my dealer, I will probably have it next week.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtennisgoddess View Post
I ordered fineline and chestnut interior. I saw it on the swatches and the colors look great together. My production is complete and my X3 35i is a the prep center. According to my dealer, I will probably have it next week.
Mine left the prep center on the 8th and my dealership says that it may not get here 'til the end of the month. I could wake it here faster than that.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0/987S/997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbrad View Post

Thanks,

Scott
I'm down the same road. We have done Q5, subies, tiguan, touareg, cayenne's, and X3 28i.

Cayennes is awesome but out due to costs. Now down to audi or bmw.

What swayed you to BMW..if I may ask?

I give ride and refinement to audi, handling and power (w/ TT) to BMW. Close call IMO.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Peakpro, I test drove the Q5 and X3 back to back with my wife and two children (both under 10) and the X3 was, for us, the choice by a large margin. Here's some impressions as to why...

1. The Q5 has a large bump (transmission I believe) by the center rear passenger seat that reduced leg room and the overall rear seat felt roomer according to my rear seat family passengers (my wife thought it would be a good test for her to ride in the back with the kids).

2. We actually liked the interior fit and finish of the X3 better than the Q5.

3. The Q5, for us, wasn't as much fun to drive. I've owned an A8 in the past and that was a pleasure to own, but the Q5 didn't have any of that fun.

4. Visually, I like the look of the X3 over the Q5.

5. Included service and maintenance with the BMW (even though I could have negotiated a much better price for the Audi), gave me a better sense of peace of mind.

You can't go wrong either way, but we were strongly swayed to the X3.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0/987S/997
ssbrad,

thanks for the summary. I agree with 1 and 5. Kind of agree with 3. And kinda disagree on 2 and 4....(the subjective stuff). Will go back next week and test drive again.

I was surprised my salesperson was willing to deal on X3. In all honesty more so than audi dealer. I have bought 2 cars from bimmer dealer and none from audi. Although wifey has an A4 cab.

thanks again for the info...all the best with your new X3.