Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Gadget/Car Nut

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Using both an iPhone and iPod Touch

I'm planning on placing an order for a 535xi tomorrow (assuming I don't chicken out at the last minute).

I'll be getting pretty much every option available, including the 6NR ("Mobile application preparation", available for March 2011 builds).

I currently use both an iPhone and an iPod touch in my car. I am assuming that there will be no problems or limitations with this set up (as opposed to using the iPhone for both a phone and music player).

Anyone care to comment?
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
I'm planning on placing an order for a 535xi tomorrow (assuming I don't chicken out at the last minute).

I'll be getting pretty much every option available, including the 6NR ("Mobile application preparation", available for March 2011 builds).

I currently use both an iPhone and an iPod touch in my car. I am assuming that there will be no problems or limitations with this set up (as opposed to using the iPhone for both a phone and music player).

Anyone care to comment?
You should be fine.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525d 2011
afaik 6nr is not an option....it comes as stock
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Happy F10 driver

Mein Auto: F10 520d SE sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
afaik 6nr is not an option....it comes as stock
6NR (apps) is an option, not standard. Same goes for 6NF (smartphone USB integration). 6FL (USB audio) is standard in the UK and probably US since January, and is required for 6NF and 6NR to work.

6NR will only work with a cradle (not available yet) and with an iPhone 3GS or 4. It doesn't work with an iPod touch according to BMWs literature.

I don't think it's likely that can use the cradle with an iPhone in, connected via 6NF, at the same time as an iPod via the 6FL USB connection because 6NF uses the 6FL for its connection.

6NR just adds the Apps function for iPhones, when they are connected to 6NF.
F10 520d SE/sport auto gearbox/black sapphire/black leather/high gloss shadowline/sun protection glass/black high gloss int trim/visibility package/professional media package/sport steering wheel/18" V-spoke 328 wheels/model deletion/windscreen shade band/sports seats/amb lighting/extended aircon/DAB/professional hifi system/6NF smartphone USB/6NR BMW apps prep
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
6NR (apps) is an option, not standard. Same goes for 6NF (smartphone USB integration). 6NR just adds the Apps function for iPhones, when they are connected to 6NF.
Since 6NF is now part of the 6NR option and will be removed as a separate option, one can assume it will both handle "BMW apps" functionality, as well as the feature set previously handled by 6NF.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: Pending
I have my ipod attached to the USB in the arm rest and my iphone 4 connected via bluetooth for internet radio without a problem. Is this what you are referring to?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Gadget/Car Nut

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Thanks -- that's sort of what I'm getting at. My phone doesn't have much capacity when it comes to songs, so don't want to be limited to only using it. It's all so confusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
6NR (apps) is an option, not standard. Same goes for 6NF (smartphone USB integration). 6FL (USB audio) is standard in the UK and probably US since January, and is required for 6NF and 6NR to work.

6NR will only work with a cradle (not available yet) and with an iPhone 3GS or 4. It doesn't work with an iPod touch according to BMWs literature.

I don't think it's likely that can use the cradle with an iPhone in, connected via 6NF, at the same time as an iPod via the 6FL USB connection because 6NF uses the 6FL for its connection.

6NR just adds the Apps function for iPhones, when they are connected to 6NF.