Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
I have had my 2011 X-5 35d for 6 weeks now and I find the stock sound system more than adequate. I think the HD stations sound the best, better than satellite in some cases depending on the station. The sound system is not going to blow you away but how much better sound are you really going to get for $1200?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BMW330 View Post
+1, my dealer didn't have diesel for me to drive and all the cars in showroom were "Dead" battery not charged Thay had one demo unit but someone was drivin it ....

BMW lack of oversight is amazing (My local grocery store spend more time rearranging Frito Lay around the store than BMW selling 70K + cars)

I specifically ordered premium sound because everybody was saying how bad stock was ... oh well at least I didn't get running boards
But you bought it anyway. BMW...mission accomplished.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
I like the stock stereo. Its just fine and I like running boards. To each their own.

Just sharing MY opinion.

As for being an audiophile... I do not have very expensive gear. I buy the best I can afford which is much more than most people would pay for speakers, amps, speaker wire, cables etc.

If I could afford it and if I had a place to put a stack of electronics, I would buy Marc Levinson, McIntosh, B&W other high end gear.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
my kids voices is cover also everything always, so i am ok with the base stereo. as of the running board they love it! for me they look good on the X's. that's the reason i didn't get the M sport because of the kid.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BMW330 View Post
I specifically ordered premium sound because everybody was saying how bad stock was ... oh well at least I didn't get running boards
You made the rational choice.

You can add the running boards later, when you realize your mistake, and for not much more money. Upgrading the sound system is a much bigger (and more expensive) project.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
You made the rational choice.

You can add the running boards later, when you realize your mistake, and for not much more money. Upgrading the sound system is a much bigger (and more expensive) project.
While useless, IMO running boards complete the look

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515 View Post
...running boards complete the look
If it wasn't obvious, I was being flippant with my comment "PS: Running boards suck...".

Plenty of people here think X5 running boards work or look great, and plenty (including me) think they look terrible on the X5 and are functional disasters, and would gladly pay to have them removed if I someow ended up with them.

The point being it's no surprise when one owner thinks the stock/premium/supercustom stereo sucks, and another owner thinks its just fine.

PS: 3rd row seats suck...
Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 White X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
If it wasn't obvious, I was being flippant with my comment "PS: Running boards suck...".

Plenty of people here think X5 running boards work or look great, and plenty (including me) think they look terrible on the X5 and are functional disasters, and would gladly pay to have them removed if I someow ended up with them.

The point being it's no surprise when one owner thinks the stock/premium/supercustom stereo sucks, and another owner thinks its just fine.

PS: 3rd row seats suck...
While I thought you PS comment was quite funny, which is why I was joking back with the oh you didn't, I must disagree the running boards are a preference the same as the stereo. They are more like perfering white or black. The stereo issue is more of if you can hear the difference or not. Everyone has different levels of sensitivity to various audio ranges and not everyone can hear all the ranges. Naturally as we age or exposed to damaging loud noises we lose some of that sensitivity over time, and others are born without it, just like some people have 20/20 and others cannot see an elephant right in front of them. So yes the base system may sound fine to some, but that's literally because they can't hear the difference or just don't care.

Last edited by winterk; 02-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i 2011 (dec build)
my previous X5 09 has standard sound and the sound is crap. go out in the car leave the stereo, shut the door and the sound is garbage. embarrassing! now do this on premium. the sound still solid.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Got X5 y'day, not impressed with base sound. Feels like Honda accord.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i 2011 (dec build)
lack of insulation on the base sound...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515 View Post
While useless, IMO running boards complete the look
I agree. The other "option" is not to get them, and still have to deal with rubbing your pant leg on the "protrusion".

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
I have had my 2011 X-5 35d for 6 weeks now and I find the stock sound system more than adequate. I think the HD stations sound the best, better than satellite in some cases depending on the station. The sound system is not going to blow you away but how much better sound are you really going to get for $1200?
Going from the "base" to the premium adds 10 speakers, 2 subs, and better amplification.. quite a difference just from 4 speakers, one in each door...

I still think the "premium" system leaves a bit to be desired.. but the base system brought me back to a 1986 Celebrity my grandparents owned..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
I am somewhat of an audiophile and have owned a variety of high end gear including Mac, Pass, Usher, PS Audio, Manley, etc. Have experimented with nearly all technologies including tubes, hard-drive based systems, SACD, and so on. Have had vinyl for a good while but that's on hold now.

My current setup includes Meridian active speakers, which are good enough that they pulled me out of the constant upgrading game, for which I am thankful as it gets pretty crazy. I went through about $100k in electronics over 10 years. The Meridians cost as much as a new economy car, so they'd better be good.

To OP: in your iPod, do you use lossless audio?

In pretty much all cars I have heard (stationary!), the audio is actually BETTER than home stereos unless you're spending a lot of money at home, and Im not talking receivers. The enclosed environment, combination of hard and soft surfaces, MUCH smaller space (think headphones on the other end), contribute to a listening 'room' that is actually very sound friendly.

Unless...

You screw it up with a supremely mediocre system and then remove the tweeters! Yes folks, the audiofools at BMW decontented the standard stereo by (cough, hack) REMOVING the effing tweeters (what, $10 each?) entirely! So you have not-so-good midrange drivers trying to replicate the high frequencies (as well as doing their own job) and failing miserably.

I have the stock stereo in my X5. I am NOT an audiophile on the road, I am a driver. Much of the time I don't even have the system turned on as I like to listen to the engine, road sounds, etc. But when I do turn it on, such as on a long drive with cruise control on, this thing is pretty bad. And comparing to the base stereo of my ML320, that was a lot better even though nothing to write home about. But a moving car is NOT the place to evaluate a stereo anyway. Too much noise... proper listening to a stereo demands an otherwise tomb-quiet environment. However, the irony here is that the X5 is pretty damn quiet, which actually promotes attentive listening, and then they bugger it up, in the standard stereo at least...

I may be upgrading the X5's speakers in the summer. If it works out well, I will post a DIY. In the meantime, I run the treble all the way up and it helps a little.

Last edited by kck7; 02-14-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Unfortunately for me the premium sound is a necessary upgrade to merely get to an acceptable level. There is nothing "premium" about the premium sound.
So while others might feel the base is adequate, I do not for the little time I do spend in the car, My one month old 2011 only has 300 miles on it

Afterall you can blow $1200 on a pair of speaker cables easily!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
I am somewhat of an audiophile and have owned a variety of high end gear including Mac, Pass, Usher, PS Audio, Manley, etc. Have experimented with nearly all technologies including tubes, hard-drive based systems, SACD, and so on. Have had vinyl for a good while but that's on hold now.

My current setup includes Meridian active speakers, which are good enough that they pulled me out of the constant upgrading game, for which I am thankful as it gets pretty crazy. I went through about $100k in electronics over 10 years. The Meridians cost as much as a new economy car, so they'd better be good.

To OP: in your iPod, do you use lossless audio?

In pretty much all cars I have heard (stationary!), the audio is actually BETTER than home stereos unless you're spending a lot of money at home, and Im not talking receivers. The enclosed environment, combination of hard and soft surfaces, MUCH smaller space (think headphones on the other end), contribute to a listening 'room' that is actually very sound friendly.

Unless...

You screw it up with a supremely mediocre system and then remove the tweeters! Yes folks, the audiofools at BMW decontented the standard stereo by (cough, hack) REMOVING the effing tweeters (what, $10 each?) entirely! So you have not-so-good midrange drivers trying to replicate the high frequencies (as well as doing their own job) and failing miserably.

I may be upgrading the X5's speakers in the summer. If it works out well, I will post a DIY. In the meantime, I run the treble all the way up and it helps a little.
I run Lossless Audio, but there still seems to be a hole in the mids - I keep tinkering, but I just can't seem to get rid of it - it's almost like the power just fades in the mids..

As for upgrading.. I don't believe there are any cables for the tweeters already run (previously posted) so you might have more of a project on your hands..

Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
As for upgrading.. I don't believe there are any cables for the tweeters already run (previously posted) so you might have more of a project on your hands..
Yup... so am not going to use the tweeter enclosures but use a speaker with midrange output that utilizes an integrated but separate tweeter (similar to whizzer cone). No extra wiring.

This is assuming I do it at all. I attempted to open one door panel a few weeks ago but it didn't go well as I did not have good instructions nor experience. Hoping to acquire some info which is why it's now tentatively scheduled for summer.

I neglected to mention in my above post that the base stereo sound has improved a little since day one, but this may be due to a relatively common phenomenon in the audiophile's world, break in. What is always the subject of lively debate is whether the break in is of the component or of the listener's ears. I have personally experienced break in (of a component) but more so with digital pieces (eg standalone cd player) and not so much with analog stuff, or at least not as definable and conclusive. Of course what we've got here in the X5 or any factory car stereo is an entire system comprised of both analog and digital, not easily separable in reality or even in theory.

What is quite clear is that BMW cheaped out the base stereo in order to sell more of the premium units. Not entirely a cool thing to do but not so surprising, given the competitiveness of the market and the only place left to really make money is in options any more. I mean, look at the nav... what, $2K? Does anyone doubt it costs more than $100 or so to install? Might even be less.

Last edited by kck7; 02-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: Boxster
Tweeters

I feel that I (we've) been duped by BMW with regard to the absent tweeters.

Does anybody else feel that it's pretty deceptive to have visible tweeter enclosures (near the A pillars) and not have actual speakers inside the enclosures?

Last edited by Popdisplay; 02-14-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdisplay View Post
I feel that I (we've) been duped by BMW with regard to the absent tweeters.

Does anybody else feel that it's pretty deceptive to have visible tweeter enclosures (near the A pillars) and not have actual speakers inside the enclosures?
Of course it is. They are the automotive equivalent of padded bras!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
Cripes, you guys have me regretting not ordering the upgraded sound. I listen to mostly sports talk and 1010WINS, so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned when this sled finally gets in my possession. If it's an issue, I will contact BMWUSA and blame the ones on this board that are satisfied with the regular sound.

Just joking, of course.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
I run Lossless Audio, but there still seems to be a hole in the mids - I keep tinkering, but I just can't seem to get rid of it - it's almost like the power just fades in the mids..

You can't really balance the sound by ear without the aid of other equipment.

Here's a fairly inexpensive way to do it. I assume you have at least premium sound with the eq.

Buy this cd: http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

Get yourself a radio shack analog spl meter noted in the instructions.

Follow their instructions.

Last edited by Jim E.; 02-14-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: e92
Don't worry guys, this awesome speaker upgrade will be released December 31st, 2010:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...grade--X5-E70/

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss View Post
Don't worry guys, this awesome speaker upgrade will be released December 31st, 2010:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...grade--X5-E70/

I'm sure Bavarian Soundwerks will finally have the upgrade available for sale when I'm trading in my X5 in 2015
Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterk View Post
Oh now you had to bring running boards into it...now it's on! LOVE the running boards, they're hot stuff, plus they save your X5 from door dings from cars. They stick out just enough from the door trim so they hit the running boards first (no protection from trucks though). Glad we cleared that up.
it never occurred to me that the running boards protect again doors dings. I gotta test this out. Thanks for bringing this up. Learn something new on the forums all the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
You can't really balance the sound by ear without the aid of other equipment.

Here's a fairly inexpensive way to do it. I assume you have at least premium sound with the eq.

Buy this cd: http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

Get yourself a radio shack analog spl meter noted in the instructions.

Follow their instructions.
I'll give this a test - My home equipment was calibrated by the company I purchased it from as part of the purchase/delivery, so I don't own any of this (though I should). I do have the premium sound/eq.