Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Is the $850 535i (19") Road Hazard Warranty Worth it???

I just did the final paperwork in preparation for a performance center delivery (PCD) next Wednesday, 2/9/2011. Because of the pricey low-profile run-flat tires that come with the sports package, I decided to opt for a 5-year road-hazard warranty which covers damaged tires and rims up to $2,000 and $4,000, respectively.

Any words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have 30 days to change my mind and get a refund if there is a better alternative. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdarwinj View Post
I just did the final paperwork in preparation for a performance center delivery (PCD) next Wednesday, 2/9/2011. Because of the pricey low-profile run-flat tires that come with the sports package, I decided to opt for a 5-year road-hazard warranty which covers damaged tires and rims up to $2,000 and $4,000, respectively.

Any words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have 30 days to change my mind and get a refund if there is a better alternative. Thanks!
Is it BMW's tire/wheel insurance of some insurance from third party? If you require pre-authorization, it may be a headache and may require you to leave the car with dealer until approval is granted.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
watch out for getting hooked on the term of the warranty - If you drive 15000 miles / year, your run flats may only last 12 - 18 months anyway; I assume the warranty ends when the tires wear out and the warranty doesn't cover normal wear;

not sure on the BMW, but previous run flats I've had burned through in 25,000 miles or less (which is silly); I'm anticipating shorter than that given how I drive this car (no turn too sharp!)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
My pcd is on 2/3 and I purchased the tire warranty from hendrick as well. I think it was a good deal.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
I purchased the 5 yr/50K miles tire & rim insurance with our new Z4 due to the 19" low profile RFT. Cost $1100. So far in 7K miles, 2 rear RFT's replaced (@ $500 ea) due to nails - no cost approved & replaced within an hour. BTW, "Libbing" the coverage continues on new or replacement tires so long as they are the BMW Approved tires. I'll get my money out of this policy. I have heard some of the alternative offered policies are not so monitarily equivalent - max tire coverage less than new tire cost, other mounting fees, etc.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O

Last edited by HerrK; 01-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
i had two bubbles in the two front tires within 2 weeks of buying my car. it was so fast that my paperwork had not yet even been processed. it is so worth it. do not hesitate.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
i had two bubbles in the two front tires within 2 weeks of buying my car. it was so fast that my paperwork had not yet even been processed. it is so worth it. do not hesitate.
Did you buy BMW's tire/wheel insurance or some third party insurance?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I picked a screw in my front right tire and I needed a new tire for $450 installed 4 weeks after US redelivery. The insurance is well worth it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM

I heard some dealers are not selling BMW insurance!!! Is it to push customers for third party insurances??
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
Did you buy BMW's tire/wheel insurance or some third party insurance?
the day of purchase i purchased the insurance, but i do not believe it was BMW. arent they all 3rd party?

mine was called national adjustment bureau

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
the day of purchase i purchased the insurance, but i do not believe it was BMW. arent they all 3rd party?

mine was called national adjustment bureau
They are all third party but with BMW insurance, you don't have to wait for pre-auth. since BMW dealer is allowed to assess the damage and fix it. I guess that would save a lot of hassle.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
They are all third party but with BMW insurance, you don't have to wait for pre-auth. since BMW dealer is allowed to assess the damage and fix it. I guess that would save a lot of hassle.
i think that the pre-auth is a rubber stamp. you make an appointment, you bring the car in, they call NAB, they give clearance, they change tire. check arrives 2 weeks later

Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I was talking to another Performance Center customer last week when I picked up my car and he said that he paid something like $350 a couple years ago for his 3-Series. For his new car (an X5, I think), he paid close to $1000. He surmised that BMW raised the price because they lost too much money at the lower price.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. This forum is great... I am convinced that buying the insurance was the right thing to do. BTW, perhaps I am mistaken about what a bubble is, but isn't it a sign of a defective tire which -- I'd like to think -- would be covered by the manufacturer?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: F10
No when you hit a pothole or anything the sidewall threads break and the air pressure/impact forms a bubble in the sidewall.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
No when you hit a pothole or anything the sidewall threads break and the air pressure/impact forms a bubble in the sidewall.
I think it would happen to 18" and above RFTs. Are 17" RFTs as vulnerable?