Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
LED lamps

Where do I get bright LEDs? I wanted to make some cool LED strips for the car but don't know where I can get loose LEDs,
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
Where do I get bright LEDs? I wanted to make some cool LED strips for the car but don't know where I can get loose LEDs,
Try Audi or Benz!
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
Try Audi or Benz!
I want to make LED strip myself...why buy a car that has nothing but LEDs
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Not sure why you'd want to do this, but any electronics retailer such as radio shack will sell LED's. Be aware though that LED's are generally rated at 2.1Volts, 20mA, therefore you can't just wire them to a 12Volt supply (cars electrical system voltage). You'd need to do the following:

*Use some kind of regulator to ensure a constant voltage (car voltages generally fluctuate between 12Volts and 14Volts depending on revs of the engine). 7812 regulators can provide up to 1A of current at 12Volts. Assuming 20mA LED's you could provide power to 50 of them with one regulator assuming it was on a heatsink or bolted to the car body.
*Know the cumulative current draw of all LED's (assuming 10 LED's at 20mA each, that would be 200mA).
*Work out the total voltage drop required from the source voltage (assuming 12Volts and the LED's are 2.1 Volts, you'd need a drop of 9.9Volts).

*From the above calculate the size and power rating of the resistor needed to get the required drop. ideally, the electronics store will be able to confirm the specs of the LED's so you can ensure you get the calculation correct.

LED's do not like over voltage. They have a tendency to blow up and they stink when that happens. Under voltage will make them dim.

Personally, I think you'd spoil the car, but if you're confident go ahead!
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.

Last edited by BimmerUKF10; 02-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Wink

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
I want to make LED strip myself...why buy a car that has nothing but LEDs
Not sure, but he could have meant they may have parts available since they use these items??

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Not sure why you'd want to do this, but any electronics retailer such as radio shack will sell LED's. Be aware though that LED's are generally rated at 2.1Volts, 20mA, therefore you can't just wire them to a 12Volt supply (cars electrical system voltage). You'd need to do the following:

*Use some kind of regulator to ensure a constant voltage (car voltages generally fluctuate between 12Volts and 14Volts depending on revs of the engine). 7812 regulators can provide up to 1A of current at 12Volts. Assuming 20mA LED's you could provide power to 50 of them with one regulator assuming it was on a heatsink or bolted to the car body.
*Know the cumulative current draw of all LED's (assuming 10 LED's at 20mA each, that would be 200mA).
*Work out the total voltage drop required from the source voltage (assuming 12Volts and the LED's are 2.1 Volts, you'd need a drop of 9.9Volts).

*From the above calculate the size and power rating of the resistor needed to get the required drop. ideally, the electronics store will be able to confirm the specs of the LED's so you can ensure you get the calculation correct.

LED's do not like over voltage. They have a tendency to blow up and they stink when that happens. Under voltage will make them dim.

Personally, I think you'd spoil the car, but if you're confident go ahead!
I don't think the 7812 regulator would be very good because if I remember correctly most 78XX units have a dropout differential voltage of +2 volts (at least in series regulation mode). So a 7812 would start coming out of regulation at 14 to 14.5 volts. It might help a bit but it would be interesting to compare an LED array regulated (7812) to unregulated and see if there is much difference.
Also you are wasting a lot of energy dropping 9 volts, might be better to put them in a series-parallel array and then use a different voltage level regulator.

I would personally go with LED units made for motor vehicles.

Last edited by jwrtiger; 02-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrtiger View Post
I don't think the 7812 regulator would be very good because if I remember correctly most 78XX units have a dropout differential voltage of +2 volts (at least in series regulation mode). So a 7812 would start coming out of regulation at 14 to 14.5 volts. It might help a bit but it would be interesting to compare an LED array regulated (7812) to unregulated and see if there is much difference.
Also you are wasting a lot of energy dropping 9 volts, might be better to put them in a series-parallel array and then use a different voltage level regulator.

I would personally go with LED units made for motor vehicles.
Agreed, although I've used 7812's in automotive applications with general success in the past, but I do take your point! The trouble with series wiring is that if one goes off for any reason they will all go off, though I suppose the voltage drop would change in parallel wiring due to the change in current and could potentially cause an over voltage!

The main point I was trying to make though was that you can't just 'wire up' a bunch of loose LED's. I agree with you that the beat solution would be something meant for the job.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Please don't do it. Just buy an Audi
Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Please don't do it. Just buy an Audi
Your signature photo says it all! Why change that look?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 528i
I wouldn't do it , but you can get some DRL LED strips here : http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?...Running+Lights