Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
CURT Class III Hitch

anyone here have CURT Class III Hitch installed in there 2011? any pic

thanks!

Last edited by pk9394; 01-13-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I did the draw-tight, it looked a little heavier than the Curt, was a bit cheaper and fit was perfect - post # 18 in this thread and all the parts I used are on post 25. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...h-2011s-2.html

The Curt should look the same mounted as it looks like it would drop down below the bumper, but the draw-tight for sure fits under the bumper, I had to clearance the lower diffuser under the bumper where you can't see to clear the support as it comes down, but nothing you can see without laying on the ground and doesn't ruin your bumper like the OEM hitch does.

Rob
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Another option- If you want a stealthy looking install- I just had the Execuhitch installed- which is one of the better engineered-cleanest set ups I have found. They are the preferred supplier to BMW Germany and BMW South Africa. What is great about it? Its mounted up behind the rear fascia and the u-shaped towing arm is removable- so there is no ugly bumper cut out- you cant even tell the vehicle has a hitch- its very clean. Comes with a BMW Factory component wiring harness.

www.execuhitch.com

photos- the arm on my unit is different than most- my trailer has a 2 5/16 ball which required a little different ball mount-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	262171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	262172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	262173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	262174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	262175  

Last edited by 1buck01; 01-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: x5 and 330cic
How much does it cost ?

Did you installed by yourself ? What about the place to hook the chain ?

Last edited by danlauz; 01-13-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlauz View Post
How much does it cost ?

Did you installed by yourself ?
The company is based here in Atlanta and they did the install. Its not difficult if you have some mechanical skills- and a lift- I didnt feel like doing the job. They mentioned they are working with BMW USA to get it approved for P&A sales and dealers to carry nationwide. So I would imagine your dealer could do it or you can ask Execuhitch about finding a competent installer near you.

The complete system installed was $860-( labor was $234.00) its a little pricey compared to other hitches, but less than the dealer installed version. And the technology in the product is significantly better than the 40 year old 2" inch square receiver system. They have this system integrated with the BMW canbus electrics very nicely. Like I said earlier- its a quality, well manufactured product.

This is the cost of the system broken down-
ExecuHitch Receiver- 263
Execuhitch Verto Locking mechanism 165
Wiring Harness-49
UTI Controller-79
Ball assembly- 69
Labor- 2.6hrs- 234

If you tow something with electric brakes- you'll need to invest in a brake controller- best would be a proportional brake controller. Im getting ready to pull the trigger on the Teknosha RF Prodigy- which saves you the hassle and cost of running the wiring from back to front and also saves you the hard mounting the brake controller in the cup holder.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I did the draw-tight, it looked a little heavier than the Curt, was a bit cheaper and fit was perfect - post # 18 in this thread and all the parts I used are on post 25. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...h-2011s-2.html

The Curt should look the same mounted as it looks like it would drop down below the bumper, but the draw-tight for sure fits under the bumper, I had to clearance the lower diffuser under the bumper where you can't see to clear the support as it comes down, but nothing you can see without laying on the ground and doesn't ruin your bumper like the OEM hitch does.

Rob
Many thanks, Looking good. i am only use to haul my bike rack and Hitch Cargo Carriers. draw-tight should do the work!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buck01 View Post
Another option- If you want a stealthy looking install- I just had the Execuhitch installed- which is one of the better engineered-cleanest set ups I have found. They are the preferred supplier to BMW Germany and BMW South Africa. What is great about it? Its mounted up behind the rear fascia and the u-shaped towing arm is removable- so there is no ugly bumper cut out- you cant even tell the vehicle has a hitch- its very clean. Comes with a BMW Factory component wiring harness.

www.execuhitch.com

photos- the arm on my unit is different than most- my trailer has a 2 5/16 ball which required a little different ball mount-
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
When you tow with the X5, with or without an OEM hitch, doesn't that require dealer programming to enable the vehicle to detect a trailer connected and enable some advanced sway control? I was under the impression that this programming was a mandatory option when towing. Yes, you could tap into the vehicle wiring and make the electrical connections to the trailer work but are you missing a tow specific vehicle behavior if you won't program it?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: x5 and 330cic
Can you put a few pics of your truck please ?

You dont put any chain between the trailer and the truck ?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buck01 View Post

www.execuhitch.com

Very nice - wonder why BMW uses these in europe but does a crappy afterthought of a setup in the US - guessing it has something to do with the DOT and some stupid hoop they have to jump through to certify it or something, so they just don't bother, but this is a very nice setup - super clean when not in use!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post
When you tow with the X5, with or without an OEM hitch, doesn't that require dealer programming to enable the vehicle to detect a trailer connected and enable some advanced sway control? I was under the impression that this programming was a mandatory option when towing. Yes, you could tap into the vehicle wiring and make the electrical connections to the trailer work but are you missing a tow specific vehicle behavior if you won't program it?
Im not aware of any special programming needed for towing that will manage sway control. I think sway control is generally a hardware addition via anti-sway bars from the trailer to the receiver. You probably wont need that unless you are doing heavy towing like 24'+ trailer/camper- which one might have a different vehicle for.....: I think the re-programming is only necessary if you encounter any issues getting the system to recognize the trailer once electrics are connected.-It "should" be plug & play since the X's are electrically set up for receiving trailer wiring input-

The system I had installed had a special wiring harness and UTI controller ( a BMW part that manages the electric signals to & from the trailer) that mates up with the electrics beneath the right rear cargo area access panel and then runs to the receiver so that you can plug in your trailer wiring-( I have a 7 pin set up on my trailer- so a 7 pin connector was installed on the receiver). Its been tested at install and all is ok but I intend to hook it up to my trailer and check it as soon as the snow pile in front of it melts- I'll report if I have any electric issues.

This other thread actually goes into all of the hitch & wiring issues- (which is where this thread probably should be linked to): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=pictures

Last edited by 1buck01; 01-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: M3
1buck01, did you get the mechanical Execuhitch or the electric one? If you got the mechanical one, how difficult is it to get your hands underneath the bumper to operate the hitch key release? The pictures that Execuhitch has on their website show the operations with the bumper cover removed but the pictures of the hitch installed and the bumper cover on show that there is almost no room on the left to get your hand and a key in there, any problems with that? One more question, as asked before, are there any provisions for safety chains provided?

I only plan to tow a one bike aluminum motorcycle trailer or the trailer with my Hobie Adventure Island sailing kayak, so the loads are fairly light. I'm picking up my X5 35d at the factory on February 28th and since I will be so close ( relative from NJ ) I thought I might have Execuhitch install it on my way down to the Amelia Island concours. Execuhitch said they only need one day notice for the install.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

I have the electric version- they didint offer a mechanical version for the new X5 when I got mine installed-and like you noticed the bumper skirt hangs down below release knob and would be akward twisting your hand up beneath that area to twist and undo the receiver from the locking mechansim. The whole electro locking receiver mechansim works brilliantly- and there area some nice safety and security functions built in to it.

Last edited by 1buck01; 02-17-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: M3
1buck01, Would you post a picture of the rear of your X5? I just got off the phone with Ben at Execuhitch and he said you still need to cut the bumper to install it. I just want to make sure that the opening that's needed doesn't have to be much larger than using a Hidden Hitch. I always think simple is better but if there is less sticking out I might be ok with a little more complication. Thanks

Last edited by RV8Pilot; 02-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Pilot View Post
Would you post a picture of the rear of your X5? I just got off the phone with Ben at Execuhitch and he said you still need to cut the bumper to install it. I just want to make sure that the opening that's needed doesn't have to be much larger than using a Hidden Hitch. I always think simple is better but if there is less sticking out I might be ok with a little more complication. Thanks
I think what he is referring to is a rectangular cut out at the inner edge of the bumper that is next to the muffler.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM

just received my draw-tight from a ebay seller. $175 shipped!
Will try to install it next weekend if is not to cold.

According the trimming, you just need to trim the bottom part of the bumper to make enough room for the hitch going through underneath the bumper. (not the visible part). the hitch will be about 2.5" lower than the OEM hitch. but you can use different low & rise adapter to rise from 2" to 8". as of the electric stuff, i have no idea. cuz, I am using just for the bike rack. will try to take some photo during installation.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Pilot View Post
1buck01, Would you post a picture of the rear of your X5? I just got off the phone with Ben at Execuhitch and he said you still need to cut the bumper to install it. I just want to make sure that the opening that's needed doesn't have to be much larger than using a Hidden Hitch. I always think simple is better but if there is less sticking out I might be ok with a little more complication. Thanks

i dont have time today- but I will try to do it tomorrow-

The cutout is up underneath in the bumper skirt- it is not visible from standing behind or above the vehicle- its very clean-