Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227
It seems to be an issue that we have to live with to own a 4.8is. I have very low miles on my X and my "Check Engine Oil" light came on. I pull the dipstick and its almost dry?!?!? Makes no sense to me that this engine can burn this much oil in such a short time. Hopefully the long term effects of this will not be severe. Who knows....Maybe BMW USA will issue a recall on the 4.8 for this. But I doubt it. Lets keep our fingers crossed
i think that there is a serious misconception when people are reading their dipsticks. Understand, that the area between the min and max marks is only 1qt. The first my check engine oil light came and i checked the dipstick, i was freakin out too. Just read that part of the manual. Personally, i wish that bmw would have setup the oil pan and dipstick the traditional way.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '04 4.8is
I don't think there are any misconceptions.

With my ride, I had to fill each quart separately the first time the warning came on. I waited 15 minutes after each quart, checked the level on the dipstick, drove it, and the warning would NOT go away until i filled four whole quarts.

I always checked my 4.4i and NEVER ONCE had a problem with the oil. The warning light did not come on from the the 3 years I had it. Perfect from the factory!!

I think BMW needs to start owning up to the issue of the 4.8's burning an ABSURD amount of oil. Think about it people, when your car sucks up 4 quarts of oil within the first 2,000 miles, you KNOW something is wrong.

Just as they told me they fixed my air suspension, and the manager told me "we'll get it right for you this time Kristie."

Last night the "self leveling suspen" warning came on AGAIN!!!!

I have brought my car into the dealer for a total of 8 times before I had my car's first maintenance.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
i think that there is a serious misconception when people are reading their dipsticks. Understand, that the area between the min and max marks is only 1qt. The first my check engine oil light came and i checked the dipstick, i was freakin out too. Just read that part of the manual. Personally, i wish that bmw would have setup the oil pan and dipstick the traditional way.
Why do you say that? I once read my dipstick and it was exactly half way between the min and max marks. Filled the engine with half a quart of oil and the reading went to the max mark. I think BMW does set up the oil pan and dipstick the traditional way...no tricks to it. When the check engine oil light comes on, it means that you've already at the extremely low level and if you pull the dipstick at that time, I don't even think it will register anything. May be I'm just old school, but I've always check the dipstick every 2-3 weeks regardless or at least once per month (same goes for tire pressure), and NEVER wait for or rely on the "idiot" light warning for simple ordinary items you can monitor manually.

Last edited by dkl; 04-16-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:42 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl
Why do you say that? I once read my dipstick and it was exactly half way between the min and max marks. Filled the engine with half a quart of oil and the reading went to the max mark. I think BMW does set up the oil pan and dipstick the traditional way...no tricks to it. When the check engine oil light comes on, it means that you've already at the extremely low level and if you pull the dipstick at that time, I don't even think it will register anything. May be I'm just old school, but I've always check the dipstick every 2-3 weeks regardless or at least once per month (same goes for tire pressure), and NEVER wait for or rely on the "idiot" light warning for simple ordinary items you can monitor manually.
I'm w/dkl...there is no mystery to the X's dipstick. If some knucklehead turn key operator waits unitl their oil light comes on, it's late in the oil dissipation process.

And, a cold check every couple of weeks/at least once per month is not extra duty.

Checking hot, the motors do drain Very slowly, imo. Jes'keep the stick above the low mark or near the top mark. This is easy stuff.
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 04-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
I'm w/dkl...there is no mystery to the X's dipstick. If some knucklehead turn key operator waits unitl their oil light comes on, it's late in the oil dissipation process.

And, a cold check every couple of weeks/at least once per month is not extra duty.

Checking hot, the motors do drain Very slowly, imo. Jes'keep the stick above the low mark or near the top mark. This is easy stuff.
i check mine every week. when it gets even a half a quart low, it can be taken care of.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:21 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Send a message via AIM to TSAGG
Mein Auto: '06 BMW 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
i check mine every week. when it gets even a half a quart low, it can be taken care of.

What do you guys recommend as far as topping off? I'm all for not waiting till the lights call for service before checking it, but does just topping it off do anything to add overall quality to the oil mixture in the system? If your getting cruddy oil towards the end of the light cycle, will this added qt. or two do anything? (besides bring levels up)?

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
1997 328is - sport pkg. (retired)
2006 330i Sport, NAV, Prem, Active steering, etc., etc.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 ci, 300 hp, 4 sp
Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAGG
What do you guys recommend as far as topping off? I'm all for not waiting till the lights call for service before checking it, but does just topping it off do anything to add overall quality to the oil mixture in the system? If your getting cruddy oil towards the end of the light cycle, will this added qt. or two do anything? (besides bring levels up)?
Adding or mixing in new oil should NOT do anything to effect the oil change "light cycle". Since BMW's oil "life cycle" is determined by an algorithm based on how you drive, the amount of starts and stops, the length of your trip, etc...and does not depend of any type of oil quality sensor, there's no way for the system to know that you've added new oil (other than the oil level have changed). But even if it does effect the light cycle, would you want to take the chance by not adding oil just so that you can keep your light cycle consistent?

Last edited by dkl; 04-17-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl
Adding or mixing in new oil should NOT do anything to effect the oil change "light cycle". Since BMW's oil "life cycle" is determined by an algorithm based on how you drive, the amount of starts and stops, the length of your trip, etc...and does not depend of any type of oil quality sensor, there's no way for the system to know that you've added new oil (other than the oil level have changed). But even if it does effect the light cycle, would you want to take the chance by not adding oil just so that you can keep your light cycle consistent?
This really wasn't what I meant. I HATE the long cycle of the lights so in no way do i want to extend that any further by adding more oil. My question was more this...does adding a qt. or two to a late cycle vehicle (one or two green bars left) do anything to improve the quality of the oil in the system? Make it less sludgy, etc.? I guess it really doesn't matter since keeping the proper amount of oil in the engine is all that's important between light cycles.

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
Old 04-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
This really wasn't what I meant. I HATE the long cycle of the lights so in no way do i want to extend that any further by adding more oil. My question was more this...does adding a qt. or two to a late cycle vehicle (one or two green bars left) do anything to improve the quality of the oil in the system? Make it less sludgy, etc.? I guess it really doesn't matter since keeping the proper amount of oil in the engine is all that's important between light cycles.
Gotcha...
Old 04-17-2005, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
A bit of an academic question, but yes

Quote:
The short answer is yes. Assume 8 qt capacity. Assume you are down 1 qt. Assume the 7 qts are at their limit in terms of suspending contaminating particles, and the additives are used up (OK, it is an extreme example). Now add 1 qt of new clean oil with full strength additives. You have 15% more capacity for suspending particles, and have refreshed the additives by a similar amount.

Now, if all the assumptions above are true, it is probably time to change the oil and not just top it off. However, back to the short answer: yes, you have increased the quality of the blend in the crankcase. You have also provided more capacity for heat reduction, but that is likely a minor effect.

All this mattered more in the days of 4 quart sumps (LOL, lots of cars are still there). With 8 quarts in the sump, the effects described above are reduced, but they are still there.

You originally asked about the quality of the blended oil, apart from the level issue, but IMO the level issue is the critical one. Just keep it where it is supposed to be, that is part of the deal. The light that comes on for low oil level is, to me, a safety net and not an indicator that it is time to check the oil.

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl10
The short answer is yes. Assume 8 qt capacity. Assume you are down 1 qt. Assume the 7 qts are at their limit in terms of suspending contaminating particles, and the additives are used up (OK, it is an extreme example). Now add 1 qt of new clean oil with full strength additives. You have 15% more capacity for suspending particles, and have refreshed the additives by a similar amount.

Now, if all the assumptions above are true, it is probably time to change the oil and not just top it off. However, back to the short answer: yes, you have increased the quality of the blend in the crankcase. You have also provided more capacity for heat reduction, but that is likely a minor effect.

All this mattered more in the days of 4 quart sumps (LOL, lots of cars are still there). With 8 quarts in the sump, the effects described above are reduced, but they are still there.

You originally asked about the quality of the blended oil, apart from the level issue, but IMO the level issue is the critical one. Just keep it where it is supposed to be, that is part of the deal. The light that comes on for low oil level is, to me, a safety net and not an indicator that it is time to check the oil.

Agreed...thanks!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 01 X5 3.0i Spt
Where to get the best deal on DIY Oil change parts??
Old 04-23-2005, 03:02 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01X52Quick
Where to get the best deal on DIY Oil change parts??
Oil in big jugs, on sale at WalMart, eg Mobil 1. Stlrs sell the filter and gasket ring, or a Deutsch filter from AutoZone. At 2.50/gal for gas, not sure driving all over town is the answer.
Link shows detailed instructions&pics of 3.0 change; 4.4 is not real diff.
Easy to sign in at link. GL,md

http://www.imagestation.com/member/j...d%3D4291046669 DIY
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
why is it that the 540's that share the same motor as the 4.4's (yes? i could be wrong), doesn't burn any oil? i have the older 4.4 (M62, not the M62TU) which doesn't burn anything.

i don't know what BMW is thinking but i doubt they'll man-up to this known problem.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmv x5 4.6IS blk/blk
i change my oil this weekend and after doing that,, i put the short screw in to the oil pan and
does the screw needs to be thight all the way or little bit lose?i have littile oil leak!,,any help,i appreciate!,,
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw x5 3.0i
few questions.1.signficance in using different oil weights in different times of the year.essentially there are suppose to run at all temperatures.2.opions on castrol edge 5w-30 synthetic oil.3.how much oil do u have to put it so the check engine oil indicator goes away?i only bought 2 quarts lol.4. anyone know how to reset the MID for engine oil service.im tired of it telling me this as im driving when I KNOW its not time for an oil changes 15 miles after i just did one